Brain freeze: Car wont Crank WTF

phreakness

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok since the car is pretty much rusted to the jack stands because its been on them so long I usually go out about every 3-4 months and crank it over to get oil pressure. Well the weather was nice this weekend and thought I would get it down on its feet and give it a bath.

Well I get it and all I get is a rapid 'click click click click' ok dead battery but its on the charger and the battery is checking good at 12.22 volt off the charger. Put the charger in start mode and try again. Same rapid clicking.

Well got on my back, got good voltage at the starter. I checked the ground and made an extra one to the motor just in case. So maybe after cranking on the starter for the last year, maybe it's burned up and it's gone bad. Get on my back again and struggle to get the starter out. Went to autozone and had it tested it. Tested fine. Solenoid engages and disengages fine, spins good. I put a wrench on the lower pulley and the motor spins fine.

So what am I missing? And yes I searched!

Bad battery. Try jump starting it? Just beacause a battery "reads" good, does not mean its holding the right cranking amps.

Case in point. A laptop battery is also 12-13 volt. But would it start a car? Nope. Voltage is just one part of the equation. I would try another battery. And I have yet to see a battery charger start a car in "start mode". They are too weak to work on these bigger engines.

I might try that but its 15 months old, on the trickle charger all the time.

Battery. It should read well over 13 volts when charged.

Leave it on the charger for a few hours, and then see what happens.

I dont trust charges. Sometimes they work, sometimes they kill batteries.

I agree. Voltage good amperage bad though. I also agree give an overnight low amp charge and pray to the battery gods.

I've seen this time and time again. Volts stay good amps go bad. Try a new battery.

+1

12.2 is NOT a good charge, nor good voltage.

Wet cell or dry cell?

Dry cells do usually read a lower standing voltage.

Usually you should read 2.1 volts for each cell. For a typical 6 cell lead-acid (12V) battery, that would be 12.6 volts standing voltage (at room temperature).

Voltage check don't mean didley anyways - by itself.

Gotta have a load on the battery for a true battery test and take the temperature into account. You can pick up a good battery tester for $50. Clamp it on the terminals and hit the load switch and watch the meter. Simple as that.

Trickle chargers on wet cell batteries may lead to a premature dead cell. If the battery is not sealed, remove the cell caps and visually monitor the effervescing (bubbles) when on the charger (please wear safety glasses). Sealed batteries with the 'green eye' indicator may very well show good when they are borderline at best.

Wet cell or dry cell?

Dry cells do usually read a lower standing voltage.

Usually you should read 2.1 volts for each cell. For a typical 6 cell lead-acid (12V) battery, that would be 12.6 volts standing voltage (at room temperature).

Voltage check don't mean didley anyways - by itself.

Gotta have a load on the battery for a true battery test and take the temperature into account. You can pick up a good battery tester for $50. Clamp it on the terminals and hit the load switch and watch the meter. Simple as that.

Trickle chargers on wet cell batteries may lead to a premature dead cell. If the battery is not sealed, remove the cell caps and visually monitor the effervescing (bubbles) when on the charger (please wear safety glasses). Sealed batteries with the 'green eye' indicator may very well show good when they are borderline at best.

all good info driller! i hate the stupid red eyes in the battery, they only look at one cell of the six making them almost useless

I store "Whiner" on jack stands also. It took me 2 years to find that I am much better off disconnecting the battery cables during storage as by being on jack stands the car is grounded. It took out two batteries, fortunately I got them both replaced under warranty. Just my $.02, I always disconnect at storage now, and have no problems at Spring launch.

Well damn if you guys weren't right. I took it to autozone and barely failed from the test they run. I think my charger screwed up the battery. SOOOOO Since I bought it a little over 3 years ago they pro-rated it and gave me $51 trade in and the new battery was $105 but for some reason they gave me the price I bought it for 3 years ago at $79. I had $20 on my autozone rewards with disposal fees I think I paid around $20 for a new battery that I wont be using for long (Fabbing a new battery setup and tray soon).

need a battery load tester. connect terminals and check too see if it says weak or not. most likely new battery needed its been sitting in cold weather. check alternator too while your at it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back