1998 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

Breathless

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I own a very nice 1998 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series that burns high test fuel. It has only 75,000 miles on it because I only use it to go to church, and a few long road trips. These days of course its leaving me crying at the pump when its time to top off. What would happen if I used a lower octane fuel? Will it damage the engine? Im asking because fuel has changed allot since 1998.

Your NOT burning all the gas. High Octane is usually designed to handle higher compression ration so that the gas doesn't pre-ignite and produce excess carbon and lower performance it will also, dieseling, fouled spark plugs and oxygen sensors, clogged catalytic etc. Very bad idea.
The TC has 9:1 compression ration and runs like a champ on 87. My 69 Mustang has 11:1 and wont run on anything but 91 octane. If I was to run 91 in the TC part of the gas will not burn. Plan and simple.
Cut out the middle man, drive down the road and throw money out the window. Its easier than stopping at the station and filling it up. At least your neighbors will like you as you hand out money.

I own, a 1999 lincoln town car royale town sedan, and it runs on premium; anything less, will give you horrible gas mileage!!

I have a 97 TC and I run 87.
I was using 91 for awhile and then found out that it wasn't the best idea.
87 is the best for you to use.

1998 and 1999 model Town Cars; produced for sale out of CA,NY, MA, and CN, were factory tuned to run premium fuel (91 octane or higher, advanced ignition timing) and make use of an engine knock sensor on the '98 models and some '99s.

You should stick with premium fuel to prevent engine ping/predetonation. You should not rely on the knock sensor/PCM to detect ping and pull back timing from using lower octane fuel - you will also loose quite a bit a power doing so as the PCM significantly retards ignition timing when this happens.

If you absolutely must use a lower octane fuel, use 89. But you should really use what the vehicle was designed for, 91.

Members online

No members online now.
Back