My LS left me stranded -- first time!

Bozz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was driving the 40 miles home last Sunday from a training, cruising at 80mph and came upon an area where the speed limit drops to 60.... So, I tap my break pedal to shut off the cruise control and start slowing down... when I go to press the gas pedal again to maintain my new reduced speed, NOTHING happens. RPM's at idle speed and no pedal.

I finally get it off the road, shut it off and restart (hey, it works with my Expedition) and still same thing... idled it down off into the grass away from the expressway and popped the hood.

To make a long story short, there is a 2" metal "link" that goes between the throttle cable and the intake butterfly mechanism was dangling from one end. So after a few mins of investigating it appears that a little c-clip had come off it on one end that holds it in place.

I searched for something to hold it together, found a wire tie.. went to put it in place in the recessed are where the c-clip would be...and the other end comes off and the link drops down onto the hot motor somewhere never to be seen again (yet).

Ended up putting a folded piece of paper between the stopper for the throttle (at butterfly) and drove it the next 14 miles home with no throttle control... it would get up to 40mph, just not fast.

Anybody have this happen before? I'm assuming I have to hit the stealership for the parts? ... been too busy to mess with it.

So she really didn't leave you stranded!! LOL I have heard of those little plastic pieces getting brittle and cracking. I have the V6 LS and noticed that metal rod that opens the butterfly in a bell crank motion. I don't think there is any clips on bent metal rod there is grooves in rod that lock into plastic bushing to hold it in. I have extra TB on hand if that happens to mine.

yes same here

You can get replacement plastic sleeves at LOWES! Believe it or not. Check in their hardware section in those big sliding trays. Or you can get them at the dealer for $16! Ouch! Now the dealer will tell you that you must buy the entire throttle body. No way dude! Those same sleeves are used elsewhere on the engine, no just the TB, so you must get someone like MAX to look them up for you. After checking a few schematics we found them. I would check LOWES first, you will be surprised as I was to find the exact same sleeve 2 for $1

I was in heavy traffic when mine did this, the little plastic sleeves on pins just crumbled from the heat and the connecting wire popped off. I could get idle power only to drive up off the road and work on the car. I used an old match book with wholes in it to hold the clip on till I nursed it home.

Thanks for your responses, but this wasn't a plastic piece! It was actually a 2" curved link (metal) that connects the throttle cable coming from the peddle to the throttle body. On each end it has a recessed area that a c-clip locks into, holding it to the cable assembly end and TB assembly end.

Hope this makes sense now.

yeah I know

that "C" shaped wire has two plastic sleeves on each end and then the little c clips go over the ends.

Thank me now!

Thank me now! 
BTW I used a nylon tie wrap to hold the linkage in place so I could drive home!

ALL OF THESE BUSHINGS WILL DISINTEGRATE!
AND THEN THE C CLIPS FALL OFF! And you’re DOA.
Ours did last week.

Do this:
1. Get the new C clips from any auto parts store (get some spares!)
2. Buy these exact bushings form the local Ford Dealer
Ford Part Number:
F5RZ-9F955-AB
ONE BUSHING ( Buy 2 and a spare ...cheaper than a new throttle body!)

Installation tip !!!

Run a string or thick thread through the square metal hole and then put the thread through the plastic bushing before blindly installing it. Tie thread. If you drop it or it flies off it will not go into no mans land under the intake.
Don't ask me how I know this! :confused:

My Story:

My son Nicolas lost the gas pedal the other night in our 00 V8 LS.
This is a paste from karmabob at Edmunds but the exact same applies.
<<We have a 2000 Lincoln LS with the 3.9 V8 and the throttle quit working the other day. pushed the pedal and nothing. The problem was a small linkage rod that is supposed to have some plastic bushings in it that had decomposed and went away causing the little c clips to pop off. Dealer said only way to get them is buy a new throttle body for $400. Any one have any solutions as to were to get these little plastic bushings?>>

I put a new c clip on the linkage rod but clearly as karmabob has stated something is still missing as the rod flops and the linkage binds!.... it’s the bushings… Grrr…

I have THE part number now !!!!

First a trip to Galpin Ford in Van Nuys... The computer does NOT show these bushings and they did not have the throttle body assembly to look at but they did say that Power Ford in Valencia had one in stock.

I went there, they had it, and we looked at it and the parts man said....
" I think this is the same bushing we use on another car" and brought out 2 brand new ones for me at 12 dollars a piece! How cool was that??
Jerry at Power Ford is THE MAN !

Ford Part Number:
F5RZ-9F955-AB
ONE BUSHING

Ohhhhh, I see, I see said the blind man. My bushings were gone from BOTH ends, that is why I didn't know they existed. Thanks for setting me straight.

Anybody have a picture of the bushings? I'd like to go to the auto parts store and get them vs. paying obscene money from Lincoln.

Also, my problem is a little more complex as that I need the metal linkage rod, c-clips, and bushings. I have NOTHING anymore, because the c-clip came off the other end as I was on the side of the interstate trying to rig it and its gone... or so it appears. I will search again this weekend.

Anybody have part numbers on the other parts? I've tried to find a parts diagram of that area without any luck.

Thanks for all your help, sorry I have been slow to respond.... been crazy busy.

It's part of a new throttle body assembly. I've seen a new one!

2 dealers did not have the exploded view of that assembly.

But it must exist ..or find the part in the junk yard.. or a new TB assembly is in your future.

That rod is a potential problem so install it right or just buy a new TB assy.

UPDATE: Went to my local Lincoln Dealer last Saturday searching for the parts I need. They had the little plastic bushings, but nothing else... in fact, we spent 40 mins. trying to figure out what it was I needed.

The linkage that goes between the throttle cable and the intake is what I need, I kept telling them that... they had no models on the lot with the same setup as mine, all were newer and revamped (mine is a 2000).

I'm at a loss, not sure what to do.. their parts diagram doesn't show it... they tell me it could be part of the "intake runner", but not the throttle body that I thought.

Any ideas?

here's an idea

check with max at five star, or go on ebay, search for a LS thats being parted out by a junk yard, get the used TB, clean it up like new and install. Craiglist is another source for LS's

im starting to get issues with me LS too, this all started like a month ago, before that no problems for 6 months

As an update (finally) we lucked out. I had found several TB units around the $100 mark locally from salvage places, but ended up not needing one.

My wife, furious with the dealers and situation was looking around under the TB with a mirror and FOUND the metal linkage. Took a while to pluck it out, but it had made the 15 mile ride home in that place when I limped it home!

Problem has been fixed for a while, I just failed to report back.

Thanks to all who provided info.

Members online

Back