Stock Amp & replacement Subwoofer question

sam2

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a small 10" sub & box sitting around in my garage. Since it's a single sub, I thought it would be perfect to drop into my trunk and connect it to the factory amp in the trunk. Of course, I will be disconnecting the factory sub. I just want a little more bass, than the factory sub can offer. I already have a nice aftermarket headunit.

My question is:

Has anyone tried this? Should I use a 4 ohm subwoofer with the factory amp? I just don't want to blow the factory amp.

Thanks!

I have a 92 TC for parts and used the amp to power a 12" sub in mine. I kepted the factoy sub connected also. I have an Alpine head unit, sounds great.

Well, I hooked it up tonight. Disconnected the factory sub, cut into the existing wires to the factory sub, wired in my 10" Sub & box.

WOW! You guys gotta do this, if you're into more bass. I can't believe the difference! It sounds like I stuck in an aftermarket amp and sub. The box is pretty small too, as it only holds 1 sub. It is a brand new sub, so maybe that helps too. I have a nice Panasonic CD headunit, with high powered Subwoofer pre-outs, which are connected directly to the factory amp. These make any amp produce more power. I can adjust the power level of the sub to my liking. Changing the Headunit in these Town Cars with a high-powered unit is a must. That was the first thing I did when I bought my Town Car. It really brings out the clarity in the factory speakers. You'd be surprised how much clear treble and decent clear sound the factory speakers pump out.

All I can say, if anyone was curious into trying this, like I was - DEFINITELY give it go. I wish i did this years ago. Now, I don't have to turn my bass down to stop the factory sub from distorting. The beauty of the Lincoln Town Car's factory stereo is the way all the rest of the speakers are already crossed-over, not allowing any bass played through them. That's why the subwoofer (factory or not) is absolutely necessary. Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers!

Fix old broken Subwoofer

If all it is is just the foam surrounding the speaker, don't wasted your good money buying a NEW or even USED replacement sub woofer and amp, just do what I did. Fix whats broken.
There are 4-1/2" nuts holding it above the spare. Remove them, unplug the amp and take it out being careful not to damage the foam ring on top of the speaker. Take off all the other foam padding covering the speaker and remove the four screws holding the speaker.
Next go to Google and do a search for 'speaker repair kits'. I found Speakerworks and spent $13.62 including tax and shipping and the speaker works fine.
It took me about an hour to removing speaker, fixing crack and installing. Not counting letting it sit overnight for the glue to dry.

Using the stock amp to power subwoofers

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add that I hooked up 2 Power Bass 12's in a ported box(purhased for $50) to the factory amp. I'm very impressed with the sound! This is of course a temp setup until I can get a aftermarket amp. Does anyone know how many watts the factory amp is because it sounds like a solid 200w. I agree with the OP the sound is quite amazing from a factory amp. Sam2 can you please give me instructions on how you hooked up a aftermarket headunit to the factory amp. BTW, I have a 98TC with factory head unit w/6 disc cd changer, the previous owner installed aftermarket JBL speakers in the doors and read deck. I have attached a picture of the powerbass 12s and enclosure.

41dh3pvZPUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

the stock amp is 400w but if those subs are 4ohms you shouldnt link them to a mono block amp like the stock one. just get a better single 12 and your fine using the stock amp. but i also dont know how to take the stock head unit out. that is the only thing holding my up on my system too.

Thanks 95TownCar. 400w is pretty impressive for a factory setup! The 2 12's I have are actually 8ohm wired in paralell to achieve a 4ohm load total so the stock amp is getting 4ohms and not 2. I believe its safe, I have run the system for hours at 1/2 volume and haven't had any issues with clipping/distortion. Again 400w is impressive for a system from the factory. In fact I've never heard of any stock system with that much wattage, especially for a 6.5 subwoofer. Thanks for your input!

Hey Guys,

New to this forum. How did you guys wire the Factory Sub Amp into the aftermarket head unit? I'm trying to do the same thing to my Brother's 96 TC.

Hey I bypassed the amp on my 1996 Lincoln TC and installed an aftermarket stereo, but now their isn't any bass anybody know how you would add bass to car ?

Members online

No members online now.
Back