Jag Shocks

cbepro

LVC Member
Reaction score
hello, i installed SpringTech springs this weekend. I only did the fronts cuz i didn't have shocks for the rear. installed "euro" shocks and Energy Suspension sway bar bushings upfront too.

i also bought 1 front Monroe 2002 Jaguar S-Type V8 shock, just to see if it fits....heres the pics with the results....

Jag shock is on the right, Lincoln shock on the left

0121001708.jpg

0121001709.jpg

0123001247.jpg

here's pics of the shocks installed. I only mounted the shocks using the lower mount. i did not fully install the Jag shock, i wish i had but from what i saw it would still work cuz the stock Lincoln's shock top plate and spring still looked like it would fit.

The only issue i saw is that the Jag's shock lower mount is thinner than the Lincoln's. It had movement between the shock and lower control arm. i think with some washers placed in between the shock bolt and lower control arm would make the shock sit nice n tight.

Don't know if all this is helpful info, i should have fully installed the shock and see how it responded but at least there some pics!!!!!!!!

The first pic is the Jag shock, second the Linc's shock

0123001251.jpg

0123001252.jpg

Some member were wondering if these jag shocks would work on the ls.Dont remember what the conclusion was

that is very interesting. the data sheets we have access to simply state that they are different - not really pointing to 'what' is different.

beside the lower mount thickness - any other noticable? the shaft length looks shorter - but what about thickness?

i didnt see anything that would interfere with mounting the Jag shock other than the lower mount causing movement side-to-side. But i need to find out how the LS performs with the Jag shock.....The Lincoln springs fit perfectly with the Jag shock, both the shocks' lower perch and the upper mount plate fit perfect to the shock&spring.

i was planning on buying another Monroe shock cuz brand new their cheaper than Ebay and no junkyard here has any S-Types..........if i had enough $$$$ i would buy the front S-Type Bilsteins and see how they line up.

Just a random pic of the Jag shock with the LS boot and upper mount.

0123001329.jpg

What was the specific Jag that shock is for, cause they show a few different suspension options when looking up a Jag S-Type. I was originally wondering if they would fit because Bilstein offers shock for the Jag, but they are expensive and no one stocks them to compare, so I was not going to spend the money to find out they did not work.

i ordered the shocks from rockauto, part #71366. V8 S-Type is all it said.

So what would the gains be if the jag shocks do fit on the ls with minor modifications? Are they stiffer? Is it sought out more for with use along with lowering springs?

i just figured i would buy the cheapest Jag shock i could find...then my thinking was if they remotely fit, the Bilsteins will fit too.....yes it would have been cheaper to just buy the Bilstein shock but i tend to jump into things without thinking very much. And i didnt have the money. And i didnt price them out.

I heard that Bilstein HD's are the best shock for tight handling. Im not sure if the Bilstein shocks on the autopartswarehouse website are the HD's but im currently investigating. and since that site takes paypal i'll probably by one front shock.

Yeah the Jag's Monroe shock probably rides like crap if u want a tight feel but it was the cheapest i could find and it was just used for informative purposes. And who's to say that the KW coilovers wont fit now........

i just figured i would buy the cheapest Jag shock i could find...then my thinking was if they remotely fit, the Bilsteins will fit too.....yes it would have been cheaper to just buy the Bilstein shock but i tend to jump into things without thinking very much. And i didnt have the money. And i didnt price them out.
I am following this thread to see if the Bilstein mono tube shocks listed for the S Jag will work. I have Bilsteins on both of my vintage BMW's. The set on my 80 Euro are 30+ years old and still good. Just put a set on my F150. I would love to have a set on my Eibach sprung LSE.

So what would the gains be if the jag shocks do fit on the ls with minor modifications? Are they stiffer? Is it sought out more for with use along with lowering springs?
I am curious how the Bilsteins for the S-type that I linked are valved. I would like to know if Bilstein would recommend them for use with the Eibach LS Pro-kit. I wonder if they would need to know the front and rear spring rates - to which I cannot find - to give a recommendation, as opposed to only telling them they're a progressive rate lowering spring.

The HDs would be the way to go, but that link has me doubting they're in fact the HDs. I could only assume their monotube design is maintained, but the picture of the shock with the black housing makes me wonder if there is a significant design difference, as Bilstein's strut and shock housings are typically yellow.

i didnt see anything that would interfere with mounting the Jag shock other than the lower mount causing movement side-to-side. But i need to find out how the LS performs with the Jag shock.....The Lincoln springs fit perfectly with the Jag shock, both the shocks' lower perch and the upper mount plate fit perfect to the shock&spring.

i was planning on buying another Monroe shock cuz brand new their cheaper than Ebay and no junkyard here has any S-Types..........if i had enough $$$$ i would buy the front S-Type Bilsteins and see how they line up.

Just a random pic of the Jag shock with the LS boot and upper mount.

Try it with the spring on. Word on the street is the lower mount is smaller on the Jag shock and the spring will slide right over.

I would bet the Jag shock is softer than the LS shock.

Does anyone know if the total weight between the Jag S and LS are close, V8 to V8 and V6 to V6? That would likely help with which shock to try first.

Bilstein has a link on the left of that shock listing that explains the abbreviations. Sport ones look good for lowered cars, not sure what the X200 means on the end though?

I would bet the Jag shock is softer than the LS shock.

Softer? So why instead of getting jag shocks, just get non sport shocks which are not as stiff as sport or euro right?

Maybe I'm just missing the point or the big picture here

^^ KYB offers a adjustable coilover for the Jag S-Type. SO if the shocks are interchangable then you could have more options for shocks.

The main goal for me is to see if Bilstiens would fit. And my theory is that since the Monroe S-Type shock damn near fit, next step is to buy the Bilstein sport shock cuz from what i read it is the goodest shock to use with lowering springs to help prevent bottoming out and give a tighter feel.

Yeah, with lowering springs the Monroe S-Type shock is probably real soft but i just got it to see if it S-Type shocks would work with the LS. I never intended on using the Monroe Jag shocks everyday.

The main goal for me is to see if Bilstiens would fit. And my theory is that since the Monroe S-Type shock damn near fit, next step is to buy the Bilstein sport shock cuz from what i read it is the goodest shock to use with lowering springs to help prevent bottoming out and give a tighter feel.

Yeah, with lowering springs the Monroe S-Type shock is probably real soft but i just got it to see if it S-Type shocks would work with the LS. I never intended on using the Monroe Jag shocks everyday.

The "problem" with the LS shock is the travel, or lack there-of. That yellow piece on the LS shock is actually part of the shock travel; it will compress. The actual piston travel is pretty short with the rest of the compression taken up by that yellow bushing. That may feel like bottoming-out. If you want a tight feel (although maybe a little rough) use the european LS shocks with Springtech springs. Also, the majority of your ride stiffness will come from the springs, not the shocks. The job of the shock is to control the compression and rebound of the spring. If the spring doesn't compress, neither will the shock.

:slap: Dude, did u had to wait just for me to buy 4 new euro shocks to do this ??? :mad:

used for informative purposes. And who's to say that the KW coilovers wont fit now........

I LOVE U MAN !!! :wave

Members online

No members online now.
Back