Mercon V

Why cheap out on buying the life blood of your car???? Alot of store brand fluids(oil) do not contain the same detergents as the factory fluids. Dont cheap out on any fluids that keep your car running.

Yes you can by the one you have listed it will be fine. Probably comes from the same refiner anyhow.

Merc V has pretty strict standards. Any Merc V will be ok. Engine oil can be another story though.

Just learned about trans fluid last week in my Transmissions class this is why i say that. Not all trans fluid is the same, its cheaper because its made cheaper with cheaper/missing detergents.

No I was just curious about your ideas on whether any mercon V is the same. I would think all of the Mercon V is equal and you're only paying for the name. Also, it just makes it even more confusing because I'm getting mixed answers here. Dammit we need a chemist to answer this.

Detergents arent as previlant in transmission fluids as they are in engine oils if thats adding to your concern, as most of the engine oils use detergants to meet federal epa requirements. Whereas transmission fluids arent as highly scrutinized. The advance auto brand of mercon V is plenty good.

It will be fine. Personally I would get the more expensive stuff since this is a job you aren't doing often. Probably a waste of money, but yeah, it's going to be in your car for 30K miles.

It will be fine. Personally I would get the more expensive stuff since this is a job you aren't doing often. Probably a waste of money, but yeah, it's going to be in your car for 30K miles.

30k? I've had the worst luck with this 4R70W. That or nobody beats a stock one (outside of J mod) like I do. The last time I blew a seal, I didn't even inspect it, I just parked it and that's where it sits. I've filled that pig with Merc 3 f'g times. I'm done.

http://hondaaccordforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-15096.html

Found that link. I wouldn't use it but that's just me. It would either be Castrol or Valvoline for the Mercon V and Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic for the oil. I just prefer to pay the price and not guess.

Well, I sold for Castrol and I have also worked for Advance Auto, and Mercon V is a product that is made to exacting standards because it is a "Registered " Trade Name. That means "no messing with the chemistry", so don't get all hung up about the source.

Members online

Back