COP swap, need some insight?

Bouncer88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so today I bought back my old Mark VIII , the kid I sold it too blew the rear end, blew the transmission, dented the thing , destroyed the car to the point where it is not worth it to repair! I only paid $75 dollars for it.

I hae an 03 Crown Vic with a blown SOHC 4.6 in it and I want to swap the engine from the Mark VIII into the Crown Vic along with the spare transmission I plan to rebuild.

I was curious what is involved in switching a 94 Mark VIII motor over to a COP setup.

Howdy Mr. Bouncer,

long time.

I was considering swapping a dual cam 281 into my 99 crown victoria, but they arent as easy as an 03. With the 03, the big difference is the computer and engine wiring harness. Other than that, youll have to either move the battery to the other side and re-route the AC lines (and most anything AC related), or take the manifold off of a marauder (along with the heads more than likely, as I dont believe the marauder manifold fits onto the B version dual cam 281 heads). Its a cake walk compaired to a pre-2001 crown victoria.

Hey Mr. Wilson thanks for the 100% inaccurate, pointless, useless post... just like the good old days...

Bouncer you are actually in luck... the 03+ are much easier to swap the 4V into... 98-02 has all sorts of pita oil pan issues. So to convert to COP you will just need 97-98 Mark valve covers for the conversion... done...

Now the wiring side of things is going to be much more complicated, and I don't think many people here have an intimate knowledge of the Crown Vic, or enough to help you rewire the car... try CVN.

www.crownvic.net

Ok, Im wrong. Go put valve covers on it and it just drops in. Let me know how that goes.

A blind man can see the obvious fitment differences right off the bat.

p15094_large2003_Mercury_marauderEn.jpg

96_Supercharged_Mark_VIII_engine_De.jpg

Try and be the big man now A$$hole

Youre 100% backwards. Wiring is simple, fitment is hard. Wiring is as simple as taking the engine wiring harness from the 97-98 MarkVIII along with its computer, and putting it in the Crown Victoria.

Go ask the retards at crownvic.net, they will say the same thing.

I considered this very seriously on my 99, but the money I would have to spend in changing the suspension over to the 01+ style was worth more than the benifit to me. (not to mention the $700 headers you need)

Last edited:
STFU.... you really need to go the :q:q:q:q away... I don't understand why you keep coming back... You are kind of like herpes...

I like how you post a stock Marauder and moded Mark engine bay to prove some kind of point??

So where are the fit issues? The intake facing the wrong way is easily remedied by relocating the battery, or making a custom intake tube for the first gen that points the tube in the other direction...

Im not pointing out anything in the altered mark viii that isnt the same as a stock one. The point stands.

Wtf did I say retard? I said you had to relocate the battery or get a different manifold. And your arguing with me by saying you have to relocate the battery or make an intake tube that crosses over the manifold (which cant be done considering there is between 3/4" and 1" clearance when the hood is closed). Since we are seemingly in agreement, what's your point?

Open your eyes

He asked how to do a cop swap and you respond acting like it's some monumental feat to do...

Then you think that the Marauder manifold might not work... maybe you need the heads too lol...

Then you throw out the pre 01 comment that makes NO sense... 98-02 are identical... why only pre 01??

Wow, go re-read my original post. I said if you get the manifold off the marauder youll probably need the heads.

Are you intent on making yourself look like an a$$?

He referenced a coil on plug setup in regards to putting it into an 03 crown victoria, hence why I said anything about the crown victoria.

98-02 crown victorias are the same, 03+ are redesigned.

The comment I made was compairing the ease of installation of the mark viii engine in his 03 to my 99. Have you even read a single word I posted or are you just trying to gum up the thread?

I did mispeak about the 01, I meant 03, but the point still stands.

If you would like to argue semantics PM me.

Ive made my contribution, Im done.

To original poster,
Best bang for the buck in that Crown vic is to fix whatever is wrong with the original engine, assuming it is the 03 and not an earlier replacement, but if you do decide to switch out to a 32 valve 281 Id take that 03 engine off your hands. Assuming the short block and heads are useable.

Members online

No members online now.
Back