I'm starting to get really aggravated with my LS

04creamlsv8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Heres the deal. I bought an 04 LS V8 about 2 months ago with around 68k miles on it. I was running great. Then the car started bogging out and jumping when I would give it gas. Keep in mind, I know next to NOTHING about cars. Last week my car wouldn't start then I got it to start and it dies while I'm driving. I had it towed to the Lincoln dealer because the check engine light was on. They ran diagnostics for $100 and said it just ran out of gas (which I don't really believe because it said I had about 38 miles left) and they reset the gas thing. The next day the car started "bogging" again and then again tonight about an hour ago I started it outside a restaurant ready to go home and put it in reverse and it just wouldn't go. I was able to drive it up the street and then it died at a red light. Great :mad:. I had help pushing it into a parking lot across the street. I tried to start it a couple times then it started and the check engine light came on again. I was able to pull out the parking lot and then it started diying again. I would step all the way down on the gas and it wouldn't go more than 20 mph and it rolled to a stop and died again right in front of my house. This is really starting to get to me and I'm almost ready to get rid of the car already after just 2 months.

If your skin is that thin, I suggest getting rid of your car.

on the other hand, find out what the check engine light was for, and change your fuel filter since you ran it out of gas...it probably clogged.

And put some f%^king gas in it dude...driving at 38 miles till empty is russian roulette.

I know you said you know NOTHING about cars, so take is as your first lesson..-- miles till empty is not completely accurate. when the gas light comes on, put gas in it. If this ever were to happen again, put gas in it before you tow it to a dealership.

When you run a car on low fuel, it is hard on the pump...it can overheat, and shorten the life of your pump. When it ran out of gas, it sucked 60 thousand miles worth of junk off the bottom of your tank, so you probably have a clogged filter.

Yeah you will learn to deal with the issues. Not easy on the wallet by any means but it seems worth it when everything is working good. Some days I regret buying it others I can't believe I waited so long to get one. In my opinion the issues on these cars are kind of a snowball effect all at once then good for a while. Don't worry I got poked at when I mentioned running my car so low. lol.

I drove mine down to 2 miles one time but when I filled it up I actually still had almost a gallon in there. But yeah change the fuel filter then see what happens.

Oh yeah and I've read on here that if you do run out of gas, you need to put at least like 4-6 gallons in it for it to get going again.

anyone who would run a car without gas in the winter deserves to run out. lack of common sense in its most basic form.

Well, I am assuming that the OP put gas in it after the dealer said that was the problem and the vehicle continued to have a problem. If you didn't add gas, then yes you are dumb, HOWEVER I am assuming you did add fuel so you obviously have a different problem. I work at a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership as a tech. If you go back to the dealer telling them it is doing the same thing, they obviously misdiagnosed your vehicle and they need to recheck it at no charge to you. There is the possiblity that you DID NOT run it out of fuel and the distance to empty thing is correct. keep us updated

That seems odd unless their is something wrong with your fuel level sensor, because I know its not 100% accurate, but 38 MTE you should have been fine. I don't know where you live but if it is in a colder climate, you should never go below 1/4 of a tank, just for saftey's sake. Might get stuck in a ditch or something, and extra fuel would be nice so you don't freeze to death waiting for help.

On another note, in the Summer I have run my tank atleast 10 miles with it saying 0 MTE, I still had half a gallon when I filled up on base. I don't reccomend doing that as its asking to get a fuel filter full of sludge.

I would say everyone that suggested fuel filter is correct. That could have been your problem in the first place. The check engine light might have been from running lean.

Good Luck and don't give up on a great car without giving it a chance. Every car no matter what is going to have issues, if a fuel filter is your only problem, thats a pretty easy fix.

^^^^^
Another insightful gem. Thank you douche.

let me see if I have this right fbird18?

guy runs car just about empty, tows it to the dealer, they tell him it is low on fuel.

car has been running like crap and still is?

That makes me a douche?

Wow.

For those who don't understand cars, the fuel pump does not pull fuel from the very bottom of the tank. the pick up is off of the bottom so you don't suck crap up.

I know many of the youngsters on this site hate to hear this, but someone with common sense would have had the car looked at when it started to run like crap, not after you are broken down on the side of the road.

if you like to gamble and see how many miles to empty you can drive, go for it!!

not sure where you live, but in the East where it tends to snow in the winter ( more common sense), you can sit for an hour or two after heavy snow and the accidents caused by retarded drivers. not sure how long your car can idle on 1 or 2 gallons of gas, but it makes good sense to be prepared.

I'm going to agree with fuel delivery. Although I'm leaning more towards the fuel pump. If you've been driving constantly on an empty tank (we're all guilty of that at one point or another), that can quickly kill your pump. And with an 04, you are probably approaching the threshold of when a pump can be a likely candidate for diagnosis.

That makes me a douche?

It sure does.

And common sense would tell you that if you wanted to find out where someone lives, to check the info under the username, it's usually there. And if you are too stupid to not know where Minneapolis is, I really can't help you. Last I checked, It does snow in MN once in a while.

Born and raised in Minnesota, do GFY.

Keep beating your LS and changing chain tensioners in the dead of winter.

we are not all guilty of driving on an empty tank, just the stupid ones!!

One more time for the slower members, the pump does not pull fuel from the very bottom of the tank, unless he has run it too low for the pump to pick up fuel, the pump should still be OK.

STFU_and_GTFO.jpg

Born and raised in Minnesota, do GFY.
Well howdy neighbor! :)

Keep beating your LS and changing chain tensioners in the dead of winter.
Yes I will keep fixing my car when it breaks. If it happens in december, I deal with it. Not the end of the world, just makes it harder.

we are not all guilty of driving on an empty tank, just the stupid ones!!
Uh yeah everyone has done that at least once.

Well howdy neighbor! :)

Yes I will keep fixing my car when it breaks. If it happens in december, I deal with it. Not the end of the world, just makes it harder.

Uh yeah everyone has done that at least once.

no they haven't. Just the stupid ones.

Don't feed the troll.

When no one gives him the reaction he is looking for he will fade away.

trolls.gif

That seems odd unless their is something wrong with your fuel level sensor, because I know its not 100% accurate, but 38 MTE you should have been fine.

Thats what I was thinking. However sorry guys for this I just wasn't sure what to do anymore. And #1fordfan thanks for your insight. We can't all be as smart as you obviously. Anyways I'm gonna put about 5 gallons in it and then we'll see what happens.

Thats what I was thinking. However sorry guys for this I just wasn't sure what to do anymore. And #1fordfan thanks for your insight. We can't all be as smart as you obviously. Anyways I'm gonna put about 5 gallons in it and then we'll see what happens.

I have two LSes. On the 04, empty means empty. On the 06, empty means there is another gallon or so left. Fuel level senders are not close to 100% accurate. Most indicate less gas than you really have, but yours may be way out of calibration. It also may be that fuel pump is failing, or that one or both of the two fuel pump inlets is not swinging down to the bottom of the tank like it/they are supposed to.
The sensible solution (now that you know you have this issue) is to always keep the tank above the 1/4 mark. Generally, you will come out ahead anyway. Gas is more likely to go up in cost than down.

Right. It's just as easy to keep the tank full as it is to keep it empty.

Sometimes the fuel level sender can get corroded and send a false reading. My very first car(79' Chevy blazer) would go to E then bounce back up to 1/8th a tank about 10 second before it would die. It only happened once or twice. I also had a 87' GMC s-15 Jimmy and the sender wouldn't read below 1/8th tank and when it said 1/8th tank it really meant E.

I'm not sure about ford cars but I know that some GM cars this is common and there is a special cleaner that you are supposed to run through the tank to fix it.

I have played Russian Roulette with my cars before. I like to see how far I can go before it dies. The difference is I bring a 5 gallon container of gas with me. My 06' Fusion goes 20-25 miles AFTER it says 0 miles to empty. I've never had a fuel pump problem. Maybe I'm just lucky and I'm NOT suggesting that people should do this.

One more thing I do is avoid gas stations that are being delivered or have just been deliver fuel. I also try to fill up in the morning when it's cooler. I have my reasons but they might not be justified. Oh, now I know what's missing from my profile, my favorite quote.

well thanks everyone for the insight. I just about filled it up and it ran fine. So now I know I should keep it above 1/4. Guess I just had to learn the hard way. No big deal.

Members online

Back