93-98 mark 8 brake upgrades??

blacklsc1

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
anyone know of any brake kits available for these cars, aside from what scp offers. does the 13" cobra kit for 94-98 stangs work?

You can convert the front quite easily, but the rears are more indepth. You will of course need new 17 or larger wheels, plus new front hubs in the 4.5 bolt circle. Other than that, it is a bolt on. UNfortunately the rears are a little more indepth due to the off set of the rotors. IN my opinion, it is not necessary to do the rears, due to the Mark 8's large front weight bias. I believe it is something like 63/37 front to rear.

the factory rear rotors are so small to begin with i'm thinking they would really look strange paired with a big front setup

THIS article I wrote details both the hub swap and brake upgrades (yes, it's applicable to the Mark VIII). The required rear caliper relocation brackets are available HERE. The brackets pictured are a stainless steel set that I made for my '98 LSC.

HPIM0566.JPG

HPIM0549.JPG

HPIM0381.JPG

cobra brake upgrade

the mark 8 rear brake caliper is better than cobra. you can get an adapter to use cobra rotors and you will be able to keep your emergency brake

I'm kinda thinking this is in the future for me... probably just have to fab a bracket for the rears.

I had Corvette PBRs on my Thunderbird, which are the same as the Cobras, used Eds rear brackets as well, great product. Just find some used cobras and follow the posted link that DLF posted.

I've been thinking more and more about putting some big brakes on mine... but I don't know what I will do for the wheels....

I dunno.

I would spend the money on go fast parts first.

Stock brakes work fine for me...maybe I'm missing something :confused:

I dunno.

I would spend the money on go fast parts first.

Stock brakes work fine for me...maybe I'm missing something :confused:

Go fast and look good doing it ;)

With the mustang hubs, then we can run any mustang wheel.

ok, so i am changing the hubs in the front to 4.5 bolt pattern to fit my cobra rims, is it possible to use the same calipers/bracket, but just get new rotors? if so which ones would fit into the calipers, is it 13 " just with the 4.5 bolt pattern?

ok, so i am changing the hubs in the front to 4.5 bolt pattern to fit my cobra rims, is it possible to use the same calipers/bracket, but just get new rotors? if so which ones would fit into the calipers, is it 13 " just with the 4.5 bolt pattern?

Just the front? :confused:

What calipers do you have now?

no front and back, right now i just have stock MArk Calipers, but i they are brand new, i purchased them and put them on and drove the car for a bout a week before the tranny went, so i was just gonna clean them up and sandblast, then powder coat them, but i am not going to do that unless i can get rotors that will fit the ccalipers and the new hubs

no front and back, right now i just have stock MArk Calipers, but i they are brand new, i purchased them and put them on and drove the car for a bout a week before the tranny went, so i was just gonna clean them up and sandblast, then powder coat them, but i am not going to do that unless i can get rotors that will fit the ccalipers and the new hubs

Sorry Danny, I don't know of a 4.5" BC rotor that will work with the Mark VIII calipers. Doesn't mean that there isn't one, just that my experience is with Cobra parts.

Sorry Danny, I don't know of a 4.5" BC rotor that will work with the Mark VIII calipers. Doesn't mean that there isn't one, just that my experience is with Cobra parts.

Thanks, that is what i was trying to find out, other question is, if i were to buy cobra rotors and calipers, do i have to worry about the bolt up for the calipers onto the brake bolt ups, or is there special brackets, i seen that you made one for the rear

Thanks, that is what i was trying to find out, other question is, if i were to buy cobra rotors and calipers, do i have to worry about the bolt up for the calipers onto the brake bolt ups, or is there special brackets, i seen that you made one for the rear

Have you read the Article I wrote on this 10 years ago?

Cobra calipers and rotors are a bolt-on. You'll need at least 17" wheels.

You'll have an issue with the brake line that may require some grinding at the caliper end, or you could get SS lines.

bolt pattern wise, yes, but offset wise, no.

What is the proper offset? I have yet to see a direct answer except for some claiming the 05+ offset works well.

I was just going to start off with stock 03 cobra wheels with 275 tire, then grab a buddies 17 by 10.5 on 315's, then 18's by 10.5's see how they work/test fit (these are all non 05 btw)

i have 13" fro. 11" rear cobra rotors, redrilled, stock mark VIII hubs with cobra front calipers, stock mark rears, and speedstars. i have the same kind of set up as DLF in the rear with a relocation bracket.
DSCN0425.jpg

DSCN0427.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back