where to find a meclaren grill insert

xceleratemaro

LVC Member
Reaction score
i have been looking for a meclaren grill for my o1 ls i would also like to buy a west wing spoiler dose any one on here have on i have not seen many. thanks chris

I have not seen a McClaen grille for sale in quite a while. I think you will just have to watch eBay and Craig's list.

The wing-west spoilers can be bought separately from the kit all over eBay. Just search on Google Shopping.

And GL finding one of those grilles, unless it is from a member here, I doubt you will come across any

You can always make your own

You can always make your own
Link? Have you or anyone else done this?

The main concern that comes to mind is persuading the grill material to conform to the curvature of the grill opening. Is there actually perforated material available that closely resembles that of the McLaren grill?

A few guys on here, a group of 4, bought one of these sheets cause its a big sheet for one person, and tried to do a lower mclaren grill. The company cut them to size and shipped them to each person. I dont know if anyone has done a grill with this but it doesn't seem that hard. You can just use the surround from your stock grill and epoxy them together or find some other way get stick them together with strong stuff.You can always try heating it up and bending it slightly to match the curviture of a grill. I'd be down for a sheet if you want to get together a grop buy. Like i said, one sheet is way too much material for one grill even if you do top and lower grill.

http://www.ametco.com/perforated/perforated_plastic/perforated_polypropylene.php

8 people would be perfect for the group buy.

IIRC, it was about 250 + shipping for the sheet. Can't remember if that included the 4 separate shipping charges or not.

Let me study the grille and ponder up some ideas.

I think the best one to use for our applications would be the first pattern listed at 1/16" thick.

i was the one who ordered it last time. i'll check my records tomorrow at work and let you know which size i ordered.

I have a buddy that I used to work with at a steel warehouse about 30 miles north of where I am now. With a design, I might even be able to get them cut out of a sheet. 1/16" steel is pretty thin so you would be able to bend it to fit the curve on the grill yourself. And, you get sheets of steel in that thickness in up to 48" x 120" sheets, so that would be a lot of upper and lower grills. They also have a machine that could punch out the holes, all you would need is the size of the hole (measured with a caliper) for the precise size.

Wouldn't it be easier to make it ourselves with the plastic instead of metal? That could work too though

You would think the steel would cost alot more to ship too, unless you have alot of LS's local... Like MN :D

Oh, and the holes/spacing on the sheet were 3/8" holes with 9/16" centers

LOLZ at the newbie! shoulda used the search tool on McLaren grille to see the demand of them is higher than those that were built and that the machine used to create them is out of order to do the material (I think it was the cost of the materials or rarity? Anyways, get something else, I enjoy my LSE Gen2 grille better than the McLaren, as having a honeycomb top grille only looks good with a similar lower grille.

mclaren grille for sale 440.00 shipped
pm me

Wow. At tha price I'll sell mine too. :D.

Thanks pektel, will save that measurement for future reference.

And sweets, It all depends on what you like. LSE is nice/classy with the chrome and color matched surround. Mclaren gives you the sportier look. I have been thinking of doing a lower grill insert and cutting off the bars on the lower bumper. Once is gone though its gone. So I'm a little hesitant. It would be like a cdc kinda without the bars and a grill insert, just for a non lse bumper

I got my McLaren off ebay for $10 plus shipping in the summer of 07 to put on my car in the winter. It's crazy what people are paying for them now.

LOLZ at the newbie! shoulda used the search tool on McLaren grille to see the demand of them is higher than those that were built and that the machine used to create them is out of order to do the material (I think it was the cost of the materials or rarity? Anyways, get something else, I enjoy my LSE Gen2 grille better than the McLaren, as having a honeycomb top grille only looks good with a similar lower grille.
I think mine looks just right with the stock lower LSE grille.:) BTW I had almost $140 in my McClaren after painting and shipping.

I got my McLaren off ebay for $10 plus shipping in the summer of 07 to put on my car in the winter. It's crazy what people are paying for them now.

Wow that is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!! I got mine for 175 shipped 3 months ago

That's what I paid too before the demand was so high its nice holding on to a little piece of gold

Yes it is, I dont know if I could sell it though. Maybe for the right price

I have a brand new McLaren Grill in the box. Let me know if you are interested!
Kevin

Members online

Back