Newbie with a suspension problem/question

Greg T

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 97 SLS that says it has a computer selected suspension. I assume this is a self leveling type utilizing air struts. ??

When loading the car I never hear the pump running to level the car and if I have a couple of people in the back seat it will bottom out on RR tracks and/or dips in the road. I dont get any errors or messages in the info center on the dash. Could this just be a bad air compressor? If so, where is it and is it difficult to change???

Thanx in advance

suspension problem

sounds like air leak in either lines from compressor to shock, or dry rot on the rubber boots on the rear airshocks. ck the O rings in the airlines at the shock

sus problem

The compressor is pretty easy to replace, it's under the passenger side muffler, just undo the rear hangers and use a jack stand to rest the exhaust on while replacing compressor. Dealer says the compressor will burn it's self out if theirs a break in a line or the rubber boot blows out on the air shock. The compressor might be able to be rebuilt. ck around, a used compressor from a salvage yard range from 50-100.00.

Members online

No members online now.
Back