Anyone Use Sirius/XM?

esalomander

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought NYC LS8's Pioneer Avic-D3 and he threw in the XM traffic reciever.

Anyhow back to my question, does anyone have Sirius/XM with the GPS traffic feature? Also, is it worth me buying?

I had Sirius, my grandma bought me a 2yr. plan for it, and a giftcard to bestbuy so I could pick the reciever out, and got a very nice one, and HATED IT!

Well I didnt hate it, but FM comes in clearer and criper than Sirius. It sounded like a badly muffled tape 99% of the time, and we went on a trip from MI to FL, and trust me, it wasnt just my area.

If it was free, sure id take it, even buy a receiver, becuase I did like the variety, but to pay for the HORRIBLE quality when they say it sounds better than a CD...that was a lie.

Never tried XM though, always heard bad about it plus there are alot more channels on Sirius (Well, back when I had it haha)

i drove a 2007 silverado with Xm built in and it sounded just fine to me, came with the onstar package i think. but yeah i had no problems with it but then again it was built in stock

I have a Kenwood 5120 with sirius adapter, I love sirius radio, I listen to shade 45 and I only paid around 25 dollars for three months, thats for two radios (one in car, and one in house)

I've had Sirius for around 5 years. The sound is fine, better than FM around here and it beats regular radio hands down. I for one can't see going back.

Never had a problem with either XM in the LS with the AVIC, or Sirius with the stock 300C head unit. The NavTraffic was a nice feature - especially around here where traffic is notorious and it was only like 2 bucks a month or something.

i will never do with out my XM, the sh!t is great, its so nice to have some channels not play the watered down version of the song, and i dont have to change my radio station every two hours during long trips (which i take frequently)

the sound is great for the direct connect units (units that plug into the back of radios and are controlled through the radio), the only time sound quality is not as good is when you are using "plug and play" units because they connect to factory radio's by downgrading the sound quality by using a FM modulator, and then your factory radio picks up the signal, you will of course lose sound quality and receive more noise (static) this way

as far as the traffic goes, it really depends on what area you are using it, as it is mainly used for larger cities, and some of their major suburbs.

the programming is top notch, you hear so much more stuff than the top 40 songs, that every other radio station plays.

I can't say I'd never do without it, but Sirius takes terrestrial radio out behind the barn, beats it up, and takes its lunch money. The NFL coverage alone has been worth the price of admission; Brad Sham and Babe Laufenberg (and pretty much every other radio play-by-play team) beat the hell out of Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth...

Like 1LoudLS said if it was a plug and play unit like BrianDye had then you are definitely not going to get the digital quality, because you are changing the signal to get it to work with your radio to either an FM frequency or to an analog tap signal so it is going to sound like crap, but since you are doing a direct connect option you should get pretty close to digital quality. Them XM traffic is going to be a personal decision for you, it will definitely give you a pretty good heads up on up coming traffic before you get there, and if that is what you are looking for then I guess you should go with it.

I installed the factory Sirius system on my 04 LSE. Love the sound and really like it on long road rips.

Last edited:
I've used XM for years as has my wife. Sound quality is fine although not as good as my iPod or CD. More than adequate given the variety. I don't care as much for the "merged" channels that came from Sirius, but I can live with it. MUCH better than FM, hands down.

Haven't ever really used Sirius in a vehicle, but we got it in our kitchen. Replaced the old GE fm radio that's about as old as dirt. I really like it, especially the jazz, blues, and jam stations. We usually just leave it on the jazz station all day. It's pretty good and worth it IMO.

I have a D3 with the XM module. I like it, sound quality is good, don't notice a lack of quality and great reception. Only time I lose reception is at the gas stations from the covering. I like the D3's "MEMO" feature. I think the traffic feature only works in like 40 metropolitan areas, I could be wrong, but I remember when I subscribing I didn't think the traffic add on was worth it being that I don't live in a HUGE town.

I have Sirius in my wife's car. Installed at the factory. It's really hard to go back to regular radio after listening to satellite. I just listen to CD's or my Ipod in the Lincoln. Great selection of music instead of the same songs every hour, and no commercials.

Love the buzzsaw hard rock, classic rock stations, Outlaw country and Playboy channel.:D

Give a listen to the Jason Ellis show on Faction Radio (28 on Sirius, 38 I think on XM). He's one funny mother f*cker and the main reason I stayed with satellite radio even though I'm not really in the car all the much. Was worth it even when I couldn't seamlessly transfer from XM to Sirius. You'd think them being one and the same that it'd be easier. But nooooooo. lol

I had Sirius, my grandma bought me a 2yr. plan for it, and a giftcard to bestbuy so I could pick the reciever out, and got a very nice one, and HATED IT!

Well I didnt hate it, but FM comes in clearer and criper than Sirius. It sounded like a badly muffled tape 99% of the time, and we went on a trip from MI to FL, and trust me, it wasnt just my area.

If it was free, sure id take it, even buy a receiver, becuase I did like the variety, but to pay for the HORRIBLE quality when they say it sounds better than a CD...that was a lie.

Never tried XM though, always heard bad about it plus there are alot more channels on Sirius (Well, back when I had it haha)

I don't know what kind of receiver you were listening to, but I have had Sirius for almost 5 years and it is the best f#@king thing that I could have bought for my stereo.

I drove from Wisconsin to Oregon to go see my kids, and did not have a single reception problem. I had the first generation receiver too, and it worked unbelievably well!!
A couple months ago I got an email from Alpine for an exclusive deal and picked up a new Sirius/XM receiver for the cost of shipping. Yes I got a $200 satellite radio add on unit for $8.32 a piece with a limit of 5. So I did what any self respecting person would do and bought 5 of them. One got installed in my LS, and the other 4 got sold on eBay. I put a buy it now price of $100, and they were all gone within 5 days.

I don't use the sat traffic function because I have a GPS that updates in realtime with the traffic updates. Plus I didn't want to pay more for the traffic function since it only works in the major cities right now.

I still have the ability to get XM channels on my receiver but since I paid for a lifetime subscription 3 years ago, it wasn't worth the $250 bucks to add on 14 XM channels when I already have over 180. Plus Sirius and XM are the same company.

fuk terrestrial radio, the 87 Toyota camery it rode in on, and everything it stands for!

"Octane ch 48" for the win

not to mention, do you know how hard it is to listen to a Michigan game while on vacation in the south with out XM?

Have XM on the Pioneer AVIC Z110BT in the 06. Absolutely love it even though I have plenty of music already with a 160GB iPod.

I have Sirius/XM and I love it. I live in a very low population density area and the nearest FM station is 80 miles away. Needless to say the reception is weak at best.

Members online

No members online now.
Back