maximum n/a setup

I hate to be a party pooper, but if it was that easy there would be a ton of modified Mark VIII's running 10's and 11's. I know of a few that are making between 500 and 550HP and do not run 10's, and you are going to do it NA??
Under perfect conditions perfect traction it will take 450RWHP to pull 4000LBS to a 12, and that physics. And a Mark is far from the perfect drag race package.
at 4.6L you will have to produce 2.25 HP per cubic inch, and that's asking allot.
You will need better weight transfer, a 10.5 tire wont cut it hell I cant get traction will 400HP let alone 600+ crank HP. Sub frame connectors are a must I welded mine up and it makes a big difference.
I just hope you don't plan on trying to drive it on the street, because you are going to need a hell of allot of cam, gear and converter.

Carlos' cobra already runs very low 10's @ 128 wieghs and 3560 lbs on a break in tune, my engine like his will be a stroker 5.0 capable of 8500 rpm a properly setup 10.5 tire car can run into the 7's so i don't think that will be an issue my frame will be tied complete with a 4 link and coilovers ya it won't be a driver but a toy that can be driven to shows and cruises and i plan on a boatload of cam gear and convertor

as with anything the devil is in the details i have been around drag cars all my life and understand very well what it takes to go straight and quick, i also know there are alot of cheaper and more efficent ways to go faster but that's not the point here the point is to have fun and be different

my setup will actually be more radical than what Carlos is running, the main difference he weighs 200 lbs less and uses a manual and i'll use an automatic with around a 5500 stall so i really don't see much of a problem other than this will be slightly expensive and not very practical but that's pretty much how i approach all my toys

just for the heck of it i checked the outlaw 10.5 tire record and it's 4.183 @ 184.5 mph in the 1/8 which would equate to approximantly a mid / low 6 second 1/4 mile pass now that's some serious chassis science

Go for it spraymax, cannt wait to here how this ends up. I'm sure its going to be bad a$$ no matter what the final ET's are. First time out isn't going to be the best. All I'm wondering is how can I spray my car with OOOO 350 to get that power. Yeah right.

Tiltedhalo you make a very good point and the more i think about it realistically it's not actually the greatest idea to try and make a drag car out of a 3800 pound luxury car, although i'm definantly still doing the bad ass n/a motor with all the good stuff the more i think about it i'm also going to concentrate on making the car somewhat drivable and not just only care about how fast it can go down the track

i'll still have the big power i'll just use a slightly more streetable trans and rear end combo and drop the idea of turning it into a drag only car to make it into something a little more realistic and drivable

Don't take me wrong I would love to see a 9 sec Mark NA and street capable. Its not the power, although that will take some work even will a 330 stroker kit, with no power adders. Its the car, the wheel base, the IRS, the tire size, the frame, the weight, for a pure race car you would be better of dumping the body on a rolling chassis. I would love to see 4.6L put out that close to 3HP per cubic inch, and roll on the street.
The wife wanted her car in the mid 12's, but I just cant seem to get it there. I would love to know how driller gets his in the 13 flat range on a basically stock engine, I know Ive got a bit more HP, I just cant get it to the pavement, probably could with a 4500 converter and 4:56 gears but daily use becomes an issue. I keep trying to remember she drops the kids of at school in this thing!

Your in st clair shores, did you even check with diamond or lidio for some of their suggestion? They both do top notch work, I'm pretty sure roadbosses car was all lidio, and diamond has a mind of a mad man for fabrication and engine building. 2 f the sweetest stangs I've ever seen in my life have come out of diamonds shop, with lidio tuning them.

I know what you're saying Tiltedhalo, i was starting to digress somewhat thinking i could pull it off in a heavy unibody car when common sense says if you want to go fast on the track there is a right way to do it

really all i want to do is have the car look sweet and have a powerful high compression great sounding engine and putz it around town sometimes

ground zero i never knew about these guys as i've been out of the game for a while but thanks i'll definantly check them out and see what they got going

Lidio's at alternative automotive at m59 and grossebeck, diamonds at 9.5 mile and grossebeck.

thanks, i checked alternative auto's website and it looks like Lidio moved to a larger facility on gratiot n. of 23 on the west side, i'll stop by next week and check it out

one more question... i'm going to back it down just a little bit so the car is drivable, i was talking to diamond pistons and they recommend max of 11 to 1 for 93 octane, is this the most i can safely go ? i was hoping for ~11.5 also i'll have meth / water injection

Roadboss please disregard my above question, i read the info on your car in another post

... i was talking to diamond pistons and they recommend max of 11 to 1 for 93 octane, is this the most i can safely go ? i was hoping for ~11.5 also i'll have meth / water injection

"They" recommend such because they are a piston manufacturer and don't want any grief from someone blowing their pistons when they tune the car too hot.

Ask the major manufacturers what stall they recommend for a Mark VIII. You won't hear anything over 3200, if that.

Ask any tire dealer what size tires you can run on your Mark VIII and they'll tell you the stock size.

Not apples to apples, but you get the idea.

OP: Good luck and I look foreward to seeing the build! Love a good N/A build.
thumb.jpg

Got some questions though. Since I have been into Stangs since birth and am a HUGE Modular fan I have to ask how theguy is getting over 500 rwhp on a 4V 4.6 N/A engine?
This is why I ask. I have seen some radical and properly built 4.6 DOHC combos with "C" heads and killer intake setups with cams that were degreed for hours on end till perfect and the best #s I have seen are 480 at the crank.
I have heard rumors about a couple bumped to a 5.0 making close to that at the wheels, like 460ish.
How the hell is he getting that kind of power!? Even if it was the larger 5.4 block I dont see how its being done.

Mabey I missed something in the posts, is he using nitrous?

i'm not exactly sure, he's all motor with 537 at the wheels with his cobra and traps high 120's I also know he has a 4.6 based 5.3 stroker with 12.9 to 1 compression and i think fr 500 heads, I know he does some amazing HCI setups and I'm sure that has alot to do with it

i'll be using every trick in the book except for the 13 to 1's and am hoping for a little over 500 chp and capable of 8500 rpm so we'll see, the next time i talk to him i'll try to find out more abot his setup

i'm not exactly sure, he's all motor with 537 at the wheels with his cobra and traps high 120's I also know he has a stroker setp a 5.0 or 5.1 with 12.9 to 1 compression and like me a kellog crank with billet rods, I also know he does some amazing HCI setups and I'm sure that has alot to do with it

i'll be using every trick in the book except for the 13 to 1's and am hoping for around 525 chp and capable of 8500 rpm so we'll see, the next time i talk to him i'll try to find out more abot his setup

I know Naz from the corral but 500hp na from so little cu in is not going to be very streetable. Not that I wouldn't want be happy with this setup in my car but it's definitely not some thing halo's wife is going to drive the kids to school with every day.

I know Naz from the corral but 500hp na from so little cu in is not going to be very streetable. Not that I wouldn't want be happy with this setup in my car but it's definitely not some thing halo's wife is going to drive the kids to school with every day.

exactly, i'm not interested so much about practicality with this car i'm more into smiles per gallon and seeing the look on peoples faces at the stoplight when they hear those cams bumpin away :cool:

i'm not exactly sure, he's all motor with 537 at the wheels with his cobra and traps high 120's I also know he has a 4.6 based 5.3 stroker with 12.9 to 1 compression and i think fr 500 heads, I know he does some amazing HCI setups and I'm sure that has alot to do with it

i'll be using every trick in the book except for the 13 to 1's and am hoping for a little over 500 chp and capable of 8500 rpm so we'll see, the next time i talk to him i'll try to find out more abot his setup

Carlos's (Nazman) engine was a big bore stroker (322ci) and has 13 to 1 compression, Livernois heads and an FR500 intake that was ported by a Ford race team member. The engine was assembled by John Tymensky at Modular Performance in Novi michigan, he also spec'd the cams.

John has built many motors in this power range, in fact, he built Carlos first BB/Stroker which was 10.5 to 1 compression, had a Sullivan intake, naz ported heads and cams spec'd by me.

Carlos has been dealing with some serious health issues and has not been doing as much work. There are a few threads about this on modular fords, corral and SVTP. You may want to see how he's doing before you send anything his way.

There are no drawbacks to going with a stroker, in fact, in these heavy cars and any with automatic trans I recommend them. I would not be scared to spin one to 8500rpm as long as it has good quality parts in it. I also highly recommend 03/04 heads for both heavy and automatic cars, they make a lot more low and mid range power and the upper rpm power is also better.

Cams make or break the power in these engines, get them wrong and the power will suffer greatly.

thanks everybody for all your input, i will only be doing ported c heads / ported marauder intake and an accufab throttle body along with fr500 cams, kooks 1 5/8 headers with full stainless exhaust with borla xs pros, underdrive pullies and a good tune as i will be using this car for a couple more years as a daily driver

i've decided to do a AMC 500 inch aluminun indy block with fred brewer billet heads in a tube frame 72 javelin AMX as my project car, i am a longtine AMC owner / fan of these cars

i will always keep my eight and know where to come with any questions you guys are awesome here, once again thanks and i'll check in every now and then

thanks everybody for all your input, i will only be doing ported c heads / ported marauder intake and an accufab throttle body along with fr500 cams, kooks 1 5/8 headers with full stainless exhaust with borla xs pros, underdrive pullies and a good tune as i will be using this car for a couple more years as a daily driver

I have FR500 cam kits at a killer price.

I have FR500 cam kits at a killer price.

Since nobody's asked yet, I will. Why are you so firm on building it n/a? I make 800 rwhp and drive it on 1 hour trips to Cleveland or Pittsburgh all the time and still retain all the options my Mach. I respect your idea don't get me wrong, but slap a blower on it and run 10's all day long on mostly stock stuff. The mod motors react remarkably well to power adders and have too low of torque to be trying to move a 4000 pound boat n/a. The cams that the guy above mentioned are what I use and are very inexpensive but work well with a power adder, not sure about n/a.
I take that back, I run the GT supercar cams in my whip! DUH!

Last edited:
the more i learn about these mod motors the more i see that fi is the way to go for big power, i'm just putting it back together with some decent parts this winter and driving it next summer

next winter though i'm considering starting with a mmr BB longblock and topping it off with a centrifugal

Members online

Back