Who has left the Sunroof open and it rained

Gus_Mahn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I left my wife's LS roof open a couple of weeks ago, and we got about an inch of rain:( There was 2" of water on the back floor! I wound up pulling the seats and carpet out of the car to dry for about three days. It's all good now, but am I the only one dumb enough to have done this? I was only driving the car because I wanted to try out the $900 worth of tires I put on it.

nah i always close it for security reasons anyways. If I ever leave anything cracked or open, it is the sunroof on Tilt Mode and it is usually while I am inside the gym or something where I know I won't be long and can leave for possible rain.

I have mine closed a majority of the time and I guess I have a small leak or a part of the whether stripping in the sunroof doesn't seal right. After a heavy rain it runs down inside next to the passenger side A-pillar and after a while if it doesn't let up it runs into the compartment next to the door speaker!:mad: Sucks balls when I get into my car after a long day of work and I have a small swimming pool in my passenger side door!:mad:
Anybody else have THIS problem???

Nope, I dont drive with it open cause the sun just cooks me. Thats sucks.No weird, humid smell left in there?

I have mine closed a majority of the time and I guess I have a small leak or a part of the whether stripping in the sunroof doesn't seal right. After a heavy rain it runs down inside next to the passenger side A-pillar and after a while if it doesn't let up it runs into the compartment next to the door speaker!:mad: Sucks balls when I get into my car after a long day of work and I have a small swimming pool in my passenger side door!:mad:

Yup. I have that exact problem. It is some hose in the A-Pillar but it is too much of a b!tch to get to for it to make me rip it off so far. Will mess with ir eventually probably

I guess I have a small leak or a part of the whether stripping in the sunroof doesn't seal right. :mad:
Sunroofs need to have the drains cleaned out once in a while or leaks can occur. Not sure where they are on the LS, but there are usually 4. A little compressed air is usually all it takes to blow them out.

I've never heard of hoses or drains in the sun roof?!?! That's my bad I guess for never looking into it. So if I go to the dealership they'll know what I'm talking about?:confused:

I've never heard of hoses or drains in the sun roof?!?! That's my bad I guess for never looking into it. So if I go to the dealership they'll know what I'm talking about?:confused:

Yup. If it is a big/popular FLM Dealership they will surely have had an LS owner come in with this. Very common.

Thats sucks.No weird, humid smell left in there?
No smells, because the seats and carpet were removed to dry. A little air circulation is all it takes to keep it from smelling. This car is super clean, but I've pulled the carpet and seats out and pressure washed/scrubbed/simple greened several cars filthy cars with great results. The only thing you have to make sure of is that it's all completely dry before you roll the windows up.

Yup. If it is a big/popular FLM Dealership they will surely have had an LS owner come in with this. Very common.

Well it's the Ford/Lincoln dealership I always bring my car to... They always seem to know whats up with my car everytime I bring it in.

My sunroof drain leaked when I first bought the car...the cup holders were full of water. It was fun to say the least.

i left it open when it rained once. the front seats were a little damp, but what really got to me was the drivers A pillar. it had a dark, wet, spot about halfway down. i kept holding a paper towel there till it finally went away.
what kind of tires?

For those of you who have the leaks on ur A-pillars and in the map-holders under the speakers, it is a pretty easy fix. I just fixed both of mine about a week ago cuz I was experiencing the same problem - if you search, you should be able to find a "how-to," but here it goes.

1. Pull off the weatherstripping around the door - very simple if just slides off.
2. Pop off the a-pillar - again, very simple - just yank on it. Obviously you wanna be careful, but it will require some force.
3. Take off the visor. The screw closest to the rearview mirror is a regular phillips head. The other three (under the little plastic cover) are a torx bit.
4. Once you this stuff out, the headliner should be free in that upper corner. Pry the headliner down gently and look around in there. You should see a hose and a "nipple" that that hose should slide on. Both my driver's side and my passengers side hoses weren't connected at all!
5. A lot of people people say to use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the hose and slide it up onto the drain. However, I was able (barely) to get my arm in there and pull it over the drain.
6. Use a zip tie or hose clamp to ensure it doesn't come off again.
7. Repeat for passenger side - Passenger side requires one extra step as you gotta remove the grab bar or whatever its called.

I was a little weary about ripping the inside of my car apart, but once I started it really was simple. It took me about 45 minutes to do the drivers side cuz I had no idea what I was doing. After that, it took me literally no more than 15 minutes to do the passengers side.

Damp Rid is a great product to remove moisture from the interior of the car, it will remove all the musty, moldy smell also.

SO far I haven't left any windows or sunroof open on the LS.....but the Acura I had....well, let's just say I should have bought stock in Damp Rid

Had this problem on my 01LS when I first got it. Drain hole got plugged up - clean out the debris (some leaves, etc.) and all was well. I first noticed the problem when I had an icicle on my passenger A-pillar :D Now I make it a rule to spend the $5 or so for a high-pressure wash when I'm test driving a car.

For those of you who have the leaks on ur A-pillars and in the map-holders under the speakers, it is a pretty easy fix. I just fixed both of mine about a week ago cuz I was experiencing the same problem - if you search, you should be able to find a "how-to," but here it goes.

1. Pull off the weatherstripping around the door - very simple if just slides off.
2. Pop off the a-pillar - again, very simple - just yank on it. Obviously you wanna be careful, but it will require some force.
3. Take off the visor. The screw closest to the rearview mirror is a regular phillips head. The other three (under the little plastic cover) are a torx bit.
4. Once you this stuff out, the headliner should be free in that upper corner. Pry the headliner down gently and look around in there. You should see a hose and a "nipple" that that hose should slide on. Both my driver's side and my passengers side hoses weren't connected at all!
5. A lot of people people say to use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the hose and slide it up onto the drain. However, I was able (barely) to get my arm in there and pull it over the drain.
7. Repeat for passenger side - Passenger side requires one extra step as you gotta remove the grab bar or whatever its called.

I was a little weary about ripping the inside of my car apart, but once I started it really was simple. It took me about 45 minutes to do the drivers side cuz I had no idea what I was doing. After that, it took me literally no more than 15 minutes to do the passengers side.

Thank you!:D I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!

I love the sunroof. The amount of natural light let in, just makes it a nicer experience. Being all cooped up in a black LS with 5% windows and black interior makes you feel like your driving a cave around.

what kind of tires?
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus They drive nice and are pretty quiet. They aren't the best looking tire IMO. There are big open treads visible on the sidewall. My wife drives to Chicago every day, and I was hoping that these will improve the car's snow performance. It had the OE tires up to this point. I liked those looked better, but they were crappy in the snow.

got caught quite a few times back with my Continental. Luckily no heavy rain.

Okay I pulled the Drivers side headliner down today. And yup sure enough the hose connecting to the sunroof drain was disconnected. I tried pulling it back over, but there was like an inch gap where the hose didnt even reach... I dont know how it was ever connected or if it ever was lol.

I got a little piece of rubber hose i had and made a bridge connection and duct taped the ends to seal it up.

Tested with pouring water down the drains and now they both operate correctly.

Yay no more water in my door pouch!

Also getting access to it wasn't as easy as it was made to seem. I have a gen2 with side curtain airbags and it was tough/scary to get around them and reach the hose. I used one arm through the door side and one through the sunroof opening to attach everything together.

Glad this is over with!

Thanks for this... I probably would have waited a few more months and taken it to the shop and got bent over. Much appreciated.

i leave mine popped up in the rain all the time. no water gets in my car. the drains on yours must be clogged

My neighbor just did that with her 2 door Accord the other day. She's been at it the last few days trying to let it dry out :lol:

Members online

No members online now.
Back