Just installed the CDC grill. Check it out

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I got my CDC grill this morning, a few days early but i'm not complaining :D . What do you think? Should I leave it as it is? Paint grill surroung to match the car?

003.jpg

007.jpg

002-1.jpg

006.jpg

001.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

nice..... where did you get it and do you mind letting me know what you paid for it?

Thanks.

I dont think they make them anymore. Greyghost, the guy from lskoncepts, posted a thread about a purge of items for sale. This was one of the items, he said you couldn't find it anywhere else and he had had it for a little while but never installed it.I have been looking for a mclaren grill for a while but they always go real quick, this looked nice in the pictures he posted, it was on a red lse, so i jumped on it. Payed 300 shipped. It was for the grill and the mesh for the bottom grill. I think I have only seen one other person on here with one. I have the ls not lse so i have no use for the bottom grill. I plan on getting an lse fascia in the future and putting the lower mesh on it.

damn that is awesome, i had the cheap ebays mesh on my car for like a month, but that looked not so good so i took it off. i really like that and you should definately match the surround

Paint the center black and paint the surround white to match the car.

paint that SOB and put that same kind of mesh behind the lower grille for optimal effect. It will look classy!

Love the grill set and it is rare. 300 bucks for the grill set is a great price. Paint the surround color of your car and it will look real sharp.

I dont need to paint the little gray part black. I know it looks retarted but its missing the emblem. I ordered it today. I thought it was one piece with the grill but guess not.I'm going to drive it arond like this until I have time to get it painted. Wanted to see how it looked with the black on it. I was thinking of painting the center black too. Maybe I'll just paint the surround first to see how it looks then go back and paint it black.

300$? Ouch!

Thats not an ouch. 600 is an ouch. Thats how much a blew in about a week and a half on my ls this past week. The grill, the lights, heavy duty harness, emblem....money was jst flying out the window.No more mods for a little bit. :D.

paint that SOB and put that same kind of mesh behind the lower grille for optimal effect. It will look classy!

I have the mesh for the lower grill. Its just for an lse lower grill. Thats wat this mesh kit was for. I do plan on getting one but those suckers aren't cheap. I should try looking in a junk yard.

Love the grill set and it is rare. 300 bucks for the grill set is a great price. Paint the surround color of your car and it will look real sharp.

Thanks for making me feel better about blowing 300 on a mesh kit which i can only use have of ;)

Thats nice. Whats color did you paint the mesh. Just silver?

He stripped the paint off it. That's why he said strip the mesh. There is that aluminum finish underneath.

oh.ha. Missed that part.thanks.

IMO it would still look better painted black, especially on a light color car and would look more like the McLaren.

Hold on one minute. Those CDC grilles are just a OEM grille with the mesh inside it!

The only downfall to doing this yourself is its hard to find a 2 piece which obviously CDC knew just how to get them and now that the 2 piece is so hard to come across its no wonder CDC stopped making those grilles!

yeah i tried using the mesh from this on the stock chrome grill but the lower piece of the cdc grill has a little slot where the mesh sitgs and the stock grill is just a little flap that goes over the grill. You wouls have to find some way of holding it down. Isn't that what all grill are,reg, lse, mclaren, cdc, just different parts inside cause the outer lip is all the same in a sense

I was under the impression that the CDC was actually a different grille then OEM. The McLaren is not OEM. It is molded plastic made a different manufacturer. The others of course are just a grille as in OEM cause they come on the cars.

Alax, is your stock a 2 piece?

Hold on one minute. Those CDC grilles are just a OEM grille with the mesh inside it!

Not true. Unless you mean the lower portion is replaced. You need a gen 1 LS grille and remove the lower portion. As was said, the mesh sits in a channel in the lower grille piece. The lower piece has a tang on each side that sits behind the upper portion. The lower piece also has the clips that snap into the lower hood. The mesh is really heavy-duty and strong. Unlike that stamped stuff ebay sells, the CDC mesh is a "weaved" wire design.

I stripped it because I got tired of the black paint getting chipped. It turns out I really like the au naturel look.

My stock was a one piece. the cdc is a 2 piece. The stock grill is held by the upper lip. It is attached to it but the cdc mesh isn't. The mesh sits on the lower piece that has a channel or slot, whatever its called, where it sits and then a the top part just presses down against it to help secure it.

005-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

Thanks. Yeah will prob paint in a week or so when I have time.

Not true. Unless you mean the lower portion is replaced. You need a gen 1 LS grille and remove the lower portion. As was said, the mesh sits in a channel in the lower grille piece. The lower piece has a tang on each side that sits behind the upper portion. The lower piece also has the clips that snap into the lower hood. The mesh is really heavy-duty and strong. Unlike that stamped stuff ebay sells, the CDC mesh is a "weaved" wire design.

I stripped it because I got tired of the black paint getting chipped. It turns out I really like the au naturel look.

Ok, now I see how they make the channel but they still use a Gen 1 grille. That was made obvious by the emblem space.

In his pics I couldn't see the seam in between the channel and the upper part of a Gen 1 grille which to me looked like a 2 piece gen 2.
IMO its a bit of a waste of money but what ever makes the customers happy is up to them. You can find that heavy gauge cheap but not those channels, cant find those period.
I like the au natural also and thought about painting the lower half of my 1st gen grille pewter or aluminum but with that mesh it dont look right to me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back