How do you remove the armrest in '03.

iamyourdemize

LVC Member
Reaction score
What is the tool needed to get that thing off? I thought it was just an allen wrench but its not. The handle that keeps the lid closed is broken and I either want to try and fix that or possibly remove the spring on it so it doesn't pop up when I'm driving.

Yeah, buy a Torx set at like Sears or something. The set is like 7-10$

My bad....... it is a 15

I could have sworn I used a T10 a few weeks ago when I took mine apart:rolleyes:

Yeah, 15 it is.

The previous owner must of smashed it down in a fit of rage or something. The plastic latch was broken in two places. I ended up taking the spring out of it and it worked surprisingly well. I will just keep it like that unless someone knows where I could get JUST the plastic latch. ;)

I'm resurrecting an older thread here, but I need to get my hands on one of those latches, too. They're made of plastic and the pins on either end have broken off.

Anyone know if this part is sold alone?

I'm trying superglue first, but I'm not convinced that'll be a very good fix!

@iamyourdemize - maybe not a fit of rage at all. I thin my kids broke mine by stepping on the armrest on their way to the driver's seat. (No we weren't on the road at the time!)

The center console armrest lid for the 2nd gen show up on Ebay occasionally and go for about $70 including shipping. 1st gen are on there all of the time and are cheaper.

I'm trying superglue first, but I'm not convinced that'll be a very good fix!
You'll have to find the right glue for this type of plastic (ABS, I think). Gorilla glue might work, but I don't think normal Superglue will; it didn't when I tried to use it (with some kevlar string for reinforcement) to repair the busted latch in the center console of my '95 SHO.

According to this parts explosion, it might be available as a separate piece, but it's hard to tell from the drawing...

Not available as a separate part, Lincoln only sells the whole console for around $275, trust me I have the same problem.

Your right about a plastic supper glue, have not tried it on this part.

with the way mine broke, it cant be glued back together, i just took it a part and remover the latch and added a couple small pieces of velcro for now until i can get a new (new to me) lid

with the way mine broke, it cant be glued back together, i just took it a part and remover the latch and added a couple small pieces of velcro for now until i can get a new (new to me) lid

That is going to be my next option. I bought one off Ebay, one side is broken but still works.

Mine is broke too!
When I get around to pulling it apart, I might just try to heat up a paper clip and melt it into the plastic to join the two pieces back together instead of glue.
What do you all think?
I have done this before with plastic and it has worked for me, just use a soldering iron. :D

Mine is broke too!
When I get around to pulling it apart, I might just try to heat up a paper clip and melt it into the plastic to join the two pieces back together instead of glue.
What do you all think?
I have done this before with plastic and it has worked for me, just use a soldering iron. :D

That plus some JB Weld might just do it.

I prefer epoxy on plastics. It's worked well for me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back