Second Amendment - Bearing Arms ... shall not be infringed.

torquemonkey

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Had come across this tid bit of info while perusing a few ads; HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009."To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes."

For those of you that enjoy sporting clays or the gift of the hunt, now is a great time to contact your representatives and voice support against this legislation.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45

Text of H.R.45 as Introduced in House
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/text

This is the text of page I came acrossed; ("Angry White Man" condensed version")

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/_1_watch_your_guns_/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=5855534

"Will you visit me in prison or will you be sitting next to me? This isn't Hitler's Germany and I am not going quietly. Subject: Gun Confiscation is Beginning--Senate Bill SB-2099 HR45 Gun Owners Watch Out Concerning the Blair-Holt proposed legislation: Senate Bill SB-2099 will require us to put on our 2009 1040 federal tax form all guns that you have or own. It may require fingerprints and a tax of $50 per gun. In November, our lying president promised he was not going after our Second Amendment rights. This bill was introduced on Feb. 24. This bill will become public knowledge 30 days after it is voted into law. This is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act of 1986. This means that the Finance Committee can pass this without the Senate voting on it at all. The full text of the proposed amendment is on the U.S. Senate homepage, http://WWW.senate..gov// You can find the bill by doing a search by the bill number, SB-2099. You know who to call; I strongly suggest you do. Please send a copy of this e-mail to every gun owner you know. http://WWW.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/text Congress is now starting on the firearms confiscation bill. If it passes, gun owners will become criminals if you don't fully comply. It has started. Very Important for you to be aware of a new bill HR 45 introduced into the House. This is the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009. Even gun shop owners didn't know about this because the government is trying to fly it under the radar. To find out about this - go to any government website and type in HR 45 or Google HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009. You will get all the information. Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless: It is registered - You are fingerprinted - You supply a current Driver's License - You supply your Social Security # - You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing - Each update change or ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25 - Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail. There is a child provision clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18. They would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. In prison. If you think this is a joke - go to the website and take your pick of many options to read this. It is lengthy. But, more and more people are becoming aware of this. Pass the word along. Any hunters in your family pass this along. This is just a "termite" approach to complete confiscation of guns and disarming of our society to the point we have no defense - chip away a little here and there until the goal is accomplished before anyone realizes it. This is one to act on whether you own a gun or not. If you take my gun, only the criminal will have one to use against me. HR 45 only makes me/us less safe. http://Thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45: http://WWW.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/show http://WWW.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45 Please.. Copy and send this out to EVERYONE in the USA, whether you support the Right to Bear Arms or not. YOUR rights are next. Government is taking away our right to choose, as well as the right to defend ourselves from intruders. CALL YOUR SENATOR"

I do appreciate input to verify this claim as actual or support it's defeat. I am in the process of reading the full versions and want to get as much light on this subject as possible. This is a large chunk of verbiage to cover.

Thank you,

NOT COOL...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some vocabulary clarification for those of us who appreciate the love.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infringed

Main Entry: in·fringe
Pronunciation: \in-ˈfrinj\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): in·fringed; in·fring·ing
Etymology: Medieval Latin infringere, from Latin, to break, crush, from in- + frangere to break — more at break
Date: 1513
transitive verb
1: to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another <infringe a patent>
2 obsolete : defeat, frustrate
intransitive verb:
encroach —used with on or upon<infringe on our rights>
synonyms see trespass
— in·fring·er noun

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infringe

in⋅fringe  /ɪnˈfrɪndʒ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-frinj] Show IPA verb, -fringed, -fring⋅ing.
Use infringe in a Sentence
–verb (used with object) 1. to commit a breach or infraction of; violate or transgress: to infringe a copyright; to infringe a rule.

–verb (used without object) 2. to encroach or trespass (usually fol. by on or upon): Don't infringe on his privacy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1525–35; < L infringere to break, weaken, equiv. to in- in- 2 + -fringere, comb. form of frangere to break

Related forms: n⋅fring⋅er, noun

Synonyms:
1. break, disobey. 2. poach. See trespass.

:cool:

This may prove helpful;

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/communicatingtips.xpd

Tips for Communicating with Congress
Why is writing a letter something to think about?
When the Congress was created, communication was not as easy as it is today. Technology has been a major force behind increasing citizen engagement with civics. Over the last decade or so, the number of letters to Congress has nearly quadrupled, with more than 200 million emails now received by Congress each year (that's around one email per adult!). Unfortunately, Congress has kept staff sizes largely unchanged since the 1980s (on average a staff of 15 per representative and 34 per senator), and as a result letters very rarely receive any significant attention, and as the number of letters goes up, the impact of any one letter necessarily goes down. So should you write or phone your rep.?

First take a moment to consider the onslaught of communication Members of Congress are receiving. You should respect your Member's limited staff time, and for that matter your fellow constituents' right to have your Member's staff concentrate on legislating, rather than tirelessly reading letters, by communicating only well-thought-out messages. Certainly don't communicate with the intent to overload your Member's staff. That isn't fair to anyone.

Does writing a letter make a difference?
But is your message going to have any effect? Writing in a form letter provided to you by an advocacy group will probably have very little effect. Especially if it is a fax. Faxes are quickly discarded. Members' staffs notice when they receive hundreds of the same letter, and they don't count these letters as important as personalized messages. On the other hand, while the majority of Congressional staff say they believe, according to a CMF survey, that personalized letters can impact their boss's decision making, it is impossible to know if there is any truth to this.

In the personal experience of GovTrack's creator, what Congressional staff say is that two things happen with letters and other communications. First, Representatives and Senators use the information essentially like a poll: They tally up responses and use the totals to guide their decision making. Second, on rare occasions they use some letters as case studies in speeches on the floor, to support their point with a little personal touch. A letter turning into a case study is especially rare, especially in terms of the volume of communications received, which means by and large the actual personal content of messages (beyond what can be tallied) is pretty much unread. Moreover, your personal communication is worthless in isolation. As part of a movement, when the tally will add up to something, it might have an impact. I'm sure there are some representatives that take tallies seriously, but I don't know how many. No House staffer says they actually read the letters carefully: They are frank that they don't have the resources to do it. (Of course, they can vote on their own resource levels, so there is some mystery there.)

What to include in a letter and how to send it
But if you are going to write, how do you do it? Visit your representative's website and look for a "Contact" page. You'll always find either an email address or, more commonly, a form to fill out. Congressional staffers say the following things are important to making your message influential: including your name, address, and ZIP code so the staff can verify you are a constituent of the Member of Congress, referencing specific legislation rather than a general issue by bill number and title, talking about the impact of the bill on the district or state, and your own reason for supporting or opposing the bill. While 90 percent of Congressional staff thought these items were helpful, less than 68 percent of staff thought personal stories were helpful. One well-respected organization recommends being: personalized, short, targeted, and informative.

If you intend to write a letter, we wish you good luck! But, you might consider what forms of communication might better serve the needs of your fellow constituents. That is, if letter writing doesn't really work all that well, what else might? Does your representative come to your district for town hall meetings? Does he do online chats? Is his local office responsive to communication? Check out these alternatives and get others on board with broadening the landscape of constituent communication.

This is a cut and paste from the above listed link.

Worriesome, yes, but there are bigger fish to fry.

This bill is being not being presented as an Amendment, nor does it include any discussion whatsoever on taxes, so if it were to make it that far, Senate would indeed have to vote on it. That also makes me wonder where they get the $25 and $50 fee numbers from. Additionally, it specifies that the applicant need only authorize the release of mental and physical health records, instead of "submitting to an evaluation at a time of their choosing." Lastly, the bit about police inspections to ensure that child access prevention is being used is also not specified in the Bill, which means that they would be forced to follow due process and get a warrant for a search for that type of thing.

When this was introduced back in 2007, there were 16 cosponsors. So far in 2009, there are 0. It failed before and it will fail again.

Still, write your Congressmen so they understand how important this issue is to us, and thank you torquemonkey for that helpful bit about how to do so. Very enlightening.

Thank you for the concise update. I am in a bit of a time crunch and have gotten very little info covered.

No problem. It's a pretty hefty read, but fairly straightforward, which is very unusual for a piece of legislation. Want a frightening beast of a read, try the Patriot Act :)

A few classes in law are very helpful in terms of sorting through the legalese that gets thrown at us on a daily basis. Very worthwhile investment.

Worriesome, yes, but there are bigger fish to fry.

This bill is being not being presented as an Amendment, nor does it include any discussion whatsoever on taxes, so if it were to make it that far, Senate would indeed have to vote on it. That also makes me wonder where they get the $25 and $50 fee numbers from.
The same place the NFA of 1934 got the $200 number from. :rolleyes:

No problem. It's a pretty hefty read, but fairly straightforward, which is very unusual for a piece of legislation. Want a frightening beast of a read, try the Patriot Act :)

A few classes in law are very helpful in terms of sorting through the legalese that gets thrown at us on a daily basis. Very worthwhile investment.

Thanks for the tip. It will serve me well.

im battling the irs right now because i didnt report wages i didnt pay taxes on. now before you come down on me i was shorted 1,1xx dollars on the previous years tax return. when i asked they said we see where we owe you but you have to refile with the information you sent in. i of course didnt have it because it was done on my aunts email account at her work. well she quit and that account was deleted. so i figured i would work a while and not pay taxes on it so it would even out. apparently thats not how it works. now i have to go before a court or something. i have to file a petition before sept 28. im not paying anything because even if they deducted the money i owe them took back the economic package they still owe me about 100 bucks. so im not paying anything and if this law passes i wont file for my gun. gov can like my fromundacheese. i already payed sales taxes on it and thats final. im sure it will get passed because no one pays attention to these bills. i only have 1 gun and i wont put it in a safe. its loaded hidden beside my bed. they can take my gun outta my dead hand.

im battling the irs right now because i didnt report wages i didnt pay taxes on. now before you come down on me i was shorted 1,1xx dollars on the previous years tax return. when i asked they said we see where we owe you but you have to refile with the information you sent in. i of course didnt have it because it was done on my aunts email account at her work. well she quit and that account was deleted. so i figured i would work a while and not pay taxes on it so it would even out. apparently thats not how it works. now i have to go before a court or something. i have to file a petition before sept 28. im not paying anything because even if they deducted the money i owe them took back the economic package they still owe me about 100 bucks. so im not paying anything and if this law passes i wont file for my gun. gov can like my fromundacheese. i already payed sales taxes on it and thats final. im sure it will get passed because no one pays attention to these bills. i only have 1 gun and i wont put it in a safe. its loaded hidden beside my bed. they can take my gun outta my dead hand. my bad if im ranting. things like this just irritate me deeply.

Oy!

From what I had read from luxuryrules (thanx again for the input), this is not the first time this bill or type of bill has been brought up. Having been shot down before, there is a good chance of it happening again.

I hope you direct that energy at your representatives, letting them know how you feel. The links above ought to serve you well as they are short and to the point on this subject. I found that my Congressional District Rep. was on the committee reviewing this bill. I took my opportunity to be heard.

After all, I have read of several top politicos having tax issues, not all that long ago. Stand proud as you are not alone in that mess.

The same place the NFA of 1934 got the $200 number from. :rolleyes:

Aha. Dogbert once said "and next week, a doctor with a flashlight shows us where sales projections come from!" I would assume these numbers are coming from the same place then? Wonderful.

Aha. Dogbert once said "and next week, a doctor with a flashlight shows us where sales projections come from!" I would assume these numbers are coming from the same place then? Wonderful.

That's interesting... there is a abbreviation used at my place of work; D.M.A.

Dead Man's A$$

Hmmm...

Actually, it was a tongue in cheek way of saying that the numbers are arbitrary.

I guess your knowledge of gun laws isn't very deep.

Members online

No members online now.
Back