Hydraulic cooling fan

hrw358

New LVC Member
Reaction score
2001 LS8, 120K sporadic overheating issue. only occurs in city driving. replaced t-stat, still had problem. had local mechanic ck for air in system, no problem there. Finally gave up and took car to dealership. reason for overheating in city traffic: hydraulic cooling fan and hydraulic pump failing. Total: $2,250! ($1400 parts, $850 labor) Questions to you guys: has anyone heard of both the hydraulic fan AND the pump failing? Is the $$quote reasonable or ridiculous? Appreciate any advice.

Of course there price is crazy thats 750 more then I paid for my whole car!! Kinda weird both going out at same time. I see alotta posts about one or the other going out. I bought a spare pump for my car and looking for a spare fan motor if its real cheap.There are several people on this site parting out cars where you could buy both pieces cheap. Or you could buy them from me. I have a 2002 local in boneyard thats complete.Frank

2001 LS8, 120K sporadic overheating issue. only occurs in city driving. replaced t-stat, still had problem. had local mechanic ck for air in system, no problem there. Finally gave up and took car to dealership. reason for overheating in city traffic: hydraulic cooling fan and hydraulic pump failing. Total: $2,250! ($1400 parts, $850 labor) Questions to you guys: has anyone heard of both the hydraulic fan AND the pump failing? Is the $$quote reasonable or ridiculous? Appreciate any advice.

Mine did that in Sept. 07. The bill was ~$1850. Parts alone were ~$960+ tax. Labor was ~$830. That was for the fan assembly and pump. I don't remember how much the necessary fluid was.

Before I bought mine they let me take it home for the weekend. It did exactly what you are describing and when I brought it back I told them and they changed the fan motor while I waited and it took them less than an hour.

Thanks for the info. Didn't let dealership do repair - not sure if I trust them that both fan and pump are bad. Has to be fixed, just not sure by whom - don't know if this is a diy-er. Do alot of my own work on other vehicles - explorer, grand marquis, taurus and toyota - but this LS is a different animal. See a lot of them on the road, just don't know mechanics that are familiar with LS's in Columbia, SC area, except the dealership. If anyone knows of someone in the area, let me know. thanks.

when I bought mine... used... it had the electric stuff installed. All ford parts, just retro fit in

unlikely both the pump and fan are bad - they probably want to replace both since it's hard to tell which one would be the problem.

the fan pump is a 'more difficult than usual' project - I just pulled mine this weekend to replace the pump-to-fan hose (second time for that to fail).

when I bought mine... used... it had the electric stuff installed. All ford parts, just retro fit in

Is there a write-up on doing the conversion to electric? I want to do it while I have the engine out. Plus will I need to get a shorter serp belt or do is there another way to take up the slack?

Just had the same problem tonight. Car overheated in traffic. Drove home later with no problem at highway speed. I did not smell any coolant, but the car had a slight hot smell to it. No fluid lost in the fan pump reservoir. Is there any seat of the pants test to tell if it is the pump or the fan?

Peeps make sure your fan is switching to HIGH as soon as you turn on AC. The EVO valve on pump can go bad and not allow high fan speed. I would check that first then go from there.

Hydraulic cooling fan is the dumbest :q:q:q:qing idea ever.

Imho

Dealer charging too much. Had my fan replaced $720, if I needed pump it was additional $600. Fans usually go first. Pump is pretty simple and reliable device unless it leaks around the main seal. A good electric cooling fan with all the sensors is like $300, check ebay. That hydraulic system is meant to fail. You may need to upgrade your alternator for the extra load of a electric fan. My system leaks around the main seal on the pump. I just keep putting a sealer fluid in the reservoir, much cheaper than a new pump. Someday it will fail but at $2 a month for sealer, who cares......

After I let the dealer change the fan, I found that it is fairly easy work to replace, if you have tools and time. Next time I'll do it myself.

+1 Getting the fan out is really easy! Lol, I've done it twice to prep my engines for the swap.

I have 2 of the hydraulic fan assemblies for sale for anyone who needs one or just a part of one. I can sell just the pump or just the fan part. I will be converting mine to an electric unit.

keep us updated!

I'm going to be tackling this pretty soon as well. I've gotten info from a couple people who have done it on the LS and looked up a few write ups from people who have done it on other cars with hydraulic fans. I would recommend upgrading to atleast a 200 or 220 amp alternator to deal with the extra power needed for the electric unit.

I'm going to be tackling this pretty soon as well. I've gotten info from a couple people who have done it on the LS and looked up a few write ups from people who have done it on other cars with hydraulic fans. I would recommend upgrading to atleast a 200 or 220 amp alternator to deal with the extra power needed for the electric unit.

perhaps you'd be kind enough to post a write up?

overheating 2

yea my lincoln is overhaeating on highway speeds and city driving she goes straight to hell,,and the ac doesnt blow cold air only sometimes when she feels like it,,,im sick of that :q:q:q:q

mine is kind of the same. sometimes she blows cold air some times she doesnt. i know i have a leak somewhere, for 1 the resevoir needs topped off every now and then, 2 my serp belt squeaks for the fluid getting on it. My car makes a weird supercharger sound when the A/c is on and the hydraulic fan kicks up speed lol. it literally sounds like someone strapped a kenne bell to it. i dunno what it is, i just knock on wood that it doesnt go bad.

Does anyone know how to wire up a universal electric fan on my 2000 ls v6, i find it pretty hard since the battery is in the rear. whoevers has done it, please let me know what you did!!!

so could this be one of the main reasons why my car is still over heating after i changed the coolant reservoir first it was that but i cant find any other reason why its still over heating i check the thermostat and bleed the system and its still climbing about the half mark after 30 mins or in i drive above 45 50 mph

Just experienced same intermittent overheating and replaced the HCF assembly. Cost about $400 for the part (Team Ford, Pat kelly, 702-395-5148) However, the fix is new. No overheating so far but I'm concerned by AC performance at idle that fan CFM is still not to spec with AC on. I'm hoping that someone in the "forum" can help me evaluate the fan performance.....by strobe tachometer, coil face velocity, coil delta-P. I may still have a problem with the hydraulic pump or the control system.

Members online

No members online now.
Back