Make a '98 tc faster??

98TC

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright so i took my back seat out and unplugged the traction control harnesses so when i peel out the tires wont stop...it only works if its wet or kinda rocky or sandy....anyway i was wondering if there is anyway to...

1) turn off trac without turning off abs and OD
2) do a easy and cheap upgrade for more power...

Thank you,
Tyler

tune up (good spark and fuel always help) then the normal intake, exhaust, jmod, tune, gears etc. or go all out and boost it. i'm not familiar with traction control because the only car i've ever owned with it is my mark 8.

Same traction control system as the Mark VIII (2nd gen). I'm surprised there isn't a way to turn off the Traction Control with a button/combination of buttons like on the Mark though...

But the bigger question is, why? Why do you want to roast tires? IN A TOWN CAR, of all cars?

I mean, the town car is not exactly a torque monster. And even if it was... what's the point of roasting tires? You'd only spin one tire anyways, as the TC, I'm pretty sure has an open differential. I've been known to drive 500+ HP cars and pick-ups, and smoking tires does not help with acceleration... just helps with making you look like a jackass.

You're welcome

Me.

^^i have a 1st gen mark 8 and i have the button to turn it off lol...i think its broken though because even with it on i cant get traction when i'm :q:q:q:qing around looking like a jackass

The fist Gen Marks didn't have a true Traction Control system. The only thing that system did was try to apply the rear brakes. It was not a full time traction control. IIRC, it turned itself off when the rear tires reached around 30mph.

The Gen II Marks have a "true" full time traction control. It applies the brakes AND reigns in the motor by cutting off fuel to it.

This is why you can so easily overpower your traction control in your Mark.

Yeah... Just don't roast the tires with it on when you have a car in front of you. Brakes won't work well when you let off the accelerator, and you will rear-end the poor bastage.

Don't believe me? Try it. Go to a parking lot, leave the traction control on, overpower it, and as you start to move, slam on the brakes. That "Oh crap! No brakes" feeling will last for about 1 second until the ABS system realizes you're applying the brakes and actually start braking the car is wonderful... not

:D

i always turn it off lol...i thought it just wasnt working properly and i was afraid that if i left it on it would start to act erractically so the first thing i do is turn it off before i shift out of park...like i said i dont know much about traction control hell my mark is the second car i've ever owned with cup holders, the only other car that i had with cup holders in it was my supra, and i they sucked because they were built into the center console it was flimsy plastic that folded down from the lid...aside from always having stuff in the center console that got in the way, they were also really shallow and didnt hold anything really well...i've owned probly a dozen vehicles since i was 16 (i'm 22 now) and never really had any luxury options...i always went for performance over comfort

lol...it was always the fact that luxury cars weigh so much more...i have a mr2 that weighs 2200 and a turbo paseo convertible that weighs just under 2100...the mark, weights 3800 (correct me if i'm wrong), my mustang is lighter then that lol

W.T.F..... Put the back seat back in... If you haven't screwed up anything else on the car and its decent, you can probably sell it for enough money to buy a 5.0 mustang. Do it.

^^thats not a bad idea...if you want to just go fast you can pick up a 5.0 fox body (hell even a sn95) for pretty cheap...however if you want the luxury :q:q:q:q like cup holders, big comfy seats, and the extra space with 2 doors too many then keep it. a towncar wasnt meant to be a sports car, can it be made fast? yes, but anything can. its not the best base to start off with but you can make it work, the size and weight will probly be a limiting factor. like i said before i have seen some crown vics make decent power and even perform well at the track but they are limited by the weight, the only real benefit i actually see in one over a mustang is the advantage of having a full frame.

You know that in the glove box, there is button to turn off the traction control. Especially useful when you're stuck in snow or ice and need power to get out.

took out the backseat!? i thought about makin my tc fast then i realized let the cadillac win the races. ill slowly and ever so comfortably pass it when its stuck in the shop. you want speed and a large luxury car? go get yourself a Marauder. or if thats out the question save up money and drop a different engine in the tc but that will create new problems for you. i would just bit the bullet and deal with the slowness or get a different car. dont butcher an American Classic.

Yeah... Just don't roast the tires with it on when you have a car in front of you. Brakes won't work well when you let off the accelerator, and you will rear-end the poor bastage.

Don't believe me? Try it. Go to a parking lot, leave the traction control on, overpower it, and as you start to move, slam on the brakes. That "Oh crap! No brakes" feeling will last for about 1 second until the ABS system realizes you're applying the brakes and actually start braking the car is wonderful... not

:D

LMFAO, been their done that. When I put the new truetracs in my truck i smoked it pretty good, hit the brakes, nothing. Alittle black paint on my abs bulb in the cluster and a pair of wire cutters fixed the problem. Any jackass can smoke some car tires, but when you can smoke 33" tires that really says "this buds for you mr. jackass"

:q:q:q:q that fuze, snip, snip, clip. Won't ever have to worry about it again. Like to meet the engineer that came up with that abs bull on the 150's and snip, snip, clip him. I also pulled my air bag out of the steering wheel. For some reason a long night of back roading + beer = a whole lot of corn in my tow hooks. Last thing I need is my truck smelling like beer because the airbag spilt it. How cool would that story be?

If my tires are above your doors I shouldn't need airbags or abs.

Frogman what is wrong with a TOWN CAR :p :D :p :D , damn i want a TOWN CAR like the one in the vid. :cool:

Alright so i took my back seat out and unplugged the traction control harnesses so when i peel out the tires wont stop...it only works if its wet or kinda rocky or sandy....anyway i was wondering if there is anyway to...

1) turn off trac without turning off abs and OD
2) do a easy and cheap upgrade for more power...

Thank you,
Tyler

If your car is actually a 1998, there is a traction control disable switch inside the glove box opening on left side. it's gray and looks like a trunk switch (actually in the same position as the trunk switch on older models)
1998 was the first year for the diable switch.
It wasn't until 2001 model year was the switch moved to the LH dash trim. This applies to all panther models, CV/GMQ/TC

This disables traction control operation without turning off ABS. It won't, however, make up for a lack of power - the car may not be able to spin them if you have decent tires on a dry surface with base model 3.08s.

Overdrive is completely independent from these and is controlled solely by PCM, the switch on the gear shift lever (TCS) can be used to disable OD if desired.

2.)
I'd start with dual exhaust if not equipped. Next install steeper rear end gearing (3.55 or 3.73) (*Note Touring Sedan includes 3.55) along with a traction-lok LSD
The steeper gears will make the car feel like it lost a couple hundred pounds. A base 98 Town Car includes 3.08 gears.

You can add some bolt-ons like steeda underdrives, 70mm t/b, and ported plenum. Check out ADTR.net

Later install a marauder airbox assembly and mass air sensor (80mm) (airbox needs hole drilled in bottom for your TC inlet piping and one in the lid for IAT) along with a custom tune at the same time. This will make the most notable improvement.

From there you can add other bolt on parts, like a performance improved (PI) intake manifold (99-04 Mustang GT / 01+ TC/CV/GMQ), PI cams, high stall converter, etc.

Read this for more related info;
http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/MZT.htm

Here is the modification webpage for my Marquis which may give you some mod ideas. Despite the different sheet metal, our cars are mostly the same underneath ;)
http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/MERCmods.htm

Members online

Back