V6 guys have an Idea

Rooski

LVC Member
Reaction score
So this is only for V6 duratec engines. I used to own a ford contour SVT which has a 2.5 duratec in it with some performance cams and several other modifications. Most of the guys there are doing 3L conversion using a taurus engine which is also duratec 3.0. So my question is does anyone knows anything about that or maybe why shouldn't I change my cams to the svt ones? They used to get just over 200 hp to the wheels and that would be really great for V6 guys.

the heads are totally different. the ls uses direct mechanical bucket tappets between the cam and the valve springs. get a custom grind then reshim them would work. my 2000 v6 makes well over 200 to the tire naturally aspirated. the automatic is going to suck up alot of dyno numbers.

Well, how do you get 200 to the wheels, I have a 5spd manual and I thought it was 210 on 2000 and 220 on 2002 on the crank? What do you have done to your V6? Also what have they change to make 10 hp gain?

The gen2 v6 makes 232 at the crank and I'm surely not getting much over 200 to the wheels. Perhaps with a CAI and a tune I could put down a bit more.
BMXLS.... I thought you sprayed?

I thought there were no tune for V6? and yes duratec 2.5 should be identical to 3.0 it's just bored out. so contour SVT heads should fit right in, I think lol If they can put there heads on taurus 3.0 or escape 3.0 we should be able to put them on our 3.0?

well, I'm really thinking about it, but with time, I'm a broke college student and just spend alot of money on rear end, all the links and ends and now looks like ball joints are next :(

The gen2 v6 makes 232 at the crank and I'm surely not getting much over 200 to the wheels. Perhaps with a CAI and a tune I could put down a bit more.
BMXLS.... I thought you sprayed?

i havent sprayed in years. is yours an auto or manual. autos have more loss for sure. the newer 3liters had vvt so they could get more power. some argue which is better when modifying for more power i lean towards non vvt. last dyno time was last year. ills sent me some tunes and a buddy of mine did one for me as well. we were on a mustang dyno which reads 10% lower than a dynojet and when you dyno a car you use the 1:1 gear like 4th or 3rd in an automatic. my 5speed's 1:1 gear is 5th and thats not safe to wrap out 7k rpms in 5th gear with these driveshafts on a dyno, at least for us, so we dynoed in 4th instead. heres the sheet

img010.gif

corrected at 10% its up to 225 maybe more in 5th gear. this is with my cold air intake i made like 5 years ago, custom exhaust, a modified flywheel and a tune. havent dynoed it with the bottle(or even sprayed it) since i had a nitrous backfire and broke alot of :q:q:q:q on a dyno. same n2o setup on a mustang added 98hp and 101ft/lbs.

the mustang dynos bear a load just like being on the street so we have a tree and can drag race on it. this is kinda cool. my car with a 6k rpm launch no bottle.
img009.gif

obviously its a bit quick because the launch was so high and the 60ft was super low for one of these but ive got a 1.85 at the track in the past with the 17's and some nittos so still a good mid to low 14 second car no bottle.

my intake. not the coolest looking but it works very well. filter is behind the foglight. have to clean it alot but no big deal.

102_0714.gif

Well, I have 2000 with 5spd manual. i also have K&N insert, magnaflow cat back.
I was just seen what would be a good add one to gain some HP since it feels a little slow. I'm not looking to be a super fast, just some lol. I have talked to ILLS he said he has nothing for V6. Also it says on Wikipedia that 2002 model gained 10hp but that's not the 2003 model so the engine is still without vvt, I was just wondering how? So if you would recommend my next step that would be nice. Just keep in mind I don't have millions, I'm a broke college student :(

Well, I have 2000 with 5spd manual. i also have K&N insert, magnaflow cat back.
I was just seen what would be a good add one to gain some HP since it feels a little slow. I'm not looking to be a super fast, just some lol.

Boy, you are new to this whole performance thing, aren't you. You'll never settle for fast enough, you'll always want a little faster. Then when you get that, you'll want just a little more "fast". It's just the way it is. Never ending loop.

I'm a broke college student :(

Um... Go get a job then? LOL

Well, summer is here, now I'll be doing much better! I work as a TA at Rutgers university and a repo man at nights :D

well if I was looking for something fast I would not be driving a Lincoln haha, I'm just in love with big cars+manual lol

make yourself an intake that looks like mine. its made from other intakes from hondas. whatever i could find and cut. real easy. go to a local muffler shop and have them put straight pipe where your resonators are, your catback should sound good still, might sound"different" but who cares. throw a bottle on for a few hundred.the tune was only worth about 6rwhp, not worth the money on this. then go kickin mustangs and stuff butts all over the place. race them from a dig they cant get out of the hole like the ls 5speed can. its fun. but you will get used to it and want more. i do for sure. maybe if i take this stuff off for my turbo ill hook you up. when i did these things i was like 23-24 years old. i only had about$900 into my car and i was beating all sorts of stuff on the street and running mid/low 13's at the track. rumors around stl were sooo funny about what my car had in it. ive had 10 second mustangs and stuff and its cooler to have a car like this and be "kinda fast" but different than everyone else. driving can make up for alot, i saw a new z06 the other night running 13's everytime. if i raced that guy i would win. thats funny. get to know your car really well and find its sweet spots and just bet that others arent doing that, they think the car will do it for them. im 30 now and been racing everything ive ever owned since i was 16. the ls just has some appeal for some reason. its cheap and easy to fix also(if you can work on it yourself). im not sure what im going to do with mine, might turbo the six, might do a full 3v mod motor swap. make it a race car. might sell it. its a love hate relationship at this point

I believe Torie has tuned a couple gen2 v6's. Can't say for sure. I want to do it but hesitate to spend the money.
My 04 v6 has been longing for Shiloh's BDT for over a year now. I'd either run a dry kit or a small boost turbo.... just cause I've not seen it before.

and this is for anyone whos never seen this before. nitrous backfire! on a 3day old motor

th_dynoboom.gif

Back fire = the gay!!!!!!!!!!!! Esp when its on the track and your 3yo daughter is watching in the stands as her daddy's car blows up and catches fire!

I believe Torie has tuned a couple gen2 v6's. Can't say for sure. I want to do it but hesitate to spend the money.
My 04 v6 has been longing for Shiloh's BDT for over a year now. I'd either run a dry kit or a small boost turbo.... just cause I've not seen it before.

dry kit wont work at all on these cars unless you have the extra fuel put in with a tune,and that would cost as much as the nitrous setup alone. wet kits are easy to setup and go. tunes on these only give a few rwhp and you have to spend around $400 or so

nitro blow-outs are nothin to laugh at, the last year I raced the damn rookie driver tried to start this 5 sec blown alcohol dragster w/o venting the scoops..... omg... knocked one dude 6 feet across the pits and lit the driver on fire after knocking him out

Members online

Back