Time to Legalize Counterfeiting

shagdrum

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Time to Legalize Counterfeiting
By Harold Witkov

Many Americans today believe certain illegal vices in our society should be decriminalized, taxed, and regulated. The most popular of these vices include marijuana smoking, prostitution, and all forms of gambling. The proponents for decriminalization believe that the new tax revenues produced would help support schools, healthcare, and the impoverished, ease the pain of taxpayers, and reduce the deficit. They also believe that transgressions such as these will take place no matter, but, if properly regulated, would be safer for society in general. It would be a win, win situation.

Unfortunately, when it comes to lowering taxes and helping the downtrodden, the best-laid government plans seem to fall short of expectations. However, there is one vice, one small illegal indiscretion, that, if decriminalized would solve all our problems. The United States needs to legalize the victimless crime known as counterfeiting.

Once legalized, counterfeiting would be for everyone. This could be accomplished by making Federal Reserve Note paper (complete with silk threads, watermarks, etc.) available to the public. With the correct paper, most computers with the right software would have no trouble replicating U.S. currency. If a household did not have a computer, special over- the-counter counterfeit kits could be made available, with instructions in both English and Spanish.

Once in place, universal counterfeiting would prove to be the ultimate stimulus package for the economy. Employees would always have enough money and never have to go on strike. Citizens would have no trouble paying their mortgages and never face foreclosure. Everyone would gladly pay his or her taxes and there would be no need to have an IRS.

Free market consumerism would return with a flourish. People would purchase whatever they wanted and stores would only have to worry about having enough merchandise on hand. Stores could charge the consumer whatever they wanted and the consumer could still afford. Every shopping day would be like the day after Thanksgiving and the day before Christmas.

Once legalized, counterfeiting would still have to be regulated. Parity and fairness would dictate that families earning over $250,000 would only be allowed to print $1, $2, $5 and $10 denominations. Families with combined incomes of less than $250,000 could print $20 and $50 bills. The unemployed could print $100 bills, and ACORN workers and UAW members would be entitled to counterfeit a new denomination, something even larger than the $100 bill (with President Obama on the front).
Obama100kbill.jpg

Universal counterfeiting could be the entitlement program that ends all other entitlement programs and sets us free. It is time to stand up and tell our legislators we want universal counterfeiting. If they protest, "You cannot just print money," then promptly respond in kind, "Why not? It works for you."

The feds printing so much money right now, I guess it really doesn't matter.

I think there are very sound arguments advanced to justify the legalization of vices like drugs and prostitution. To simplify, I'll condense them down to two.

There's one group that argues in defense of such a things as a way of generating more revenue so that the federal government can afford more intervention in our lives.

And there's another group that argues that these should be legal because the government needs to get completely out of our lives.

In short, one group argues in favor of more government involvement, just not on those issues. And the other argues in support of greater liberty across the board.

I think these are state issues, issues that the federal government has no reason to be involved in.

the problem i see with it is that is everyone is printing their own money then who would want to work? where would products come from? if no one has to work because they can print their own money then the money printed would be useless without anything to buy

the problem i see with it is that is everyone is printing their own money then who would want to work? where would products come from? if no one has to work because they can print their own money then the money printed would be useless without anything to buy
You clearly forgot how most of our items come from china.

Wow, I didn't expect anyone to take the idea of printing your own money seriously.

The reason why it wouldn't work is quite simple.
The money would simply have no value. It would be 100% worthless.

When the federal reserve prints too much money, the value of the money goes down, and prices rise. There are too many dollars chasing too few goods. The demand is greater than the supply, so the prices climb accordingly.

In this satirical scenario, there's absolutely no scarcity. It'd literally be monopoly money. Everyone would then be scrambling for a new means of storing value and worth. No one would accept the dollar as payment, they'd insist on something of value, like a precious metal or bartering.

The Chinese wouldn't accept that monopoly money either.

Cal, when your scenario heats up, people will consume goods even faster as they realize that money itself has no innate value. This will superheat the economy, causing a rapid downward spiral ending in a major crash. I figure if policies don't reverse, we only have a few years left.

no, i'm referring to employment. every business has employees that make it run, well they work for money. if they can print their own money then why would they go into work? no one would be working which means no stores would even be open to shop, no one to go around refilling gas stations so we can drive anywhere, no restaurants, etc. if people can have free money why would they bother working for it as a clerk at a gas station or store having to deal with :q:q:q:q:q:q:q customers all day? the paycheck they get out of it wouldnt matter, all they would really earn is aggravation.

no, i'm referring to employment. every business has employees that make it run, well they work for money. if they can print their own money then why would they go into work? no one would be working which means no stores would even be open to shop, no one to go around refilling gas stations so we can drive anywhere, no restaurants, etc. if people can have free money why would they bother working for it as a clerk at a gas station or store having to deal with :q:q:q:q:q:q:q customers all day? the paycheck they get out of it wouldnt matter, all they would really earn is aggravation.
Take it a step further. There would be no need for jobs in the US. Therefore, no manufacturing or agriculture of any kind. Barter system would take over, and only the self sufficient would survive.

Cal, when your scenario heats up, people will consume goods even faster as they realize that money itself has no innate value. This will superheat the economy, causing a rapid downward spiral ending in a major crash. I figure if policies don't reverse, we only have a few years left.

You mean the hyper-inflation that the government is creating right now?
I agree with you. Unfortunately, I think there are a few other economic bubbles over our heads waiting to pop, that will complete this economic perfect storm....

And if you want to get really pessimistic, or realistic, there are a number of huge international crises on the horrizon as well. They will intensify the economic problems we're having (ie. fuel prices), or they'll be the trigger for a new round of 21st century global wars.

Members online

No members online now.
Back