High Gas Mileage Ford

customgtrs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just thought I would bring this to everyone attention. I know a guy that worked with Ralph and saw these Fords in action. Of course they bought Ralph out and closed up shop. All Ralph used was a Pinto rear end and a turbo charger. He was getting 60 mpg out of a 360 V8 before they shut it down
and over 100 mpg out of the turbo 4 cyl. Capri. Here is the article from 1979 Time magazine
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,916788,00.html
We can have fuel effecient cars and power. We are just getting lied to every step of the way. It is just maddening.

Correction - Mustang rear end and a Pinto Tranny.
WE should go back 30 years and use that technology. IF cars got 100 mpg the oil companies would just $hit.

oh ya.. I thought that would of been obvious to everyone by now, back in the 60's there was a hand full of engineers that build 3 carbs and modified a bb 440, 460, and 514 v8's and with these carbs were averaging over 45mpg with these engines and ledsleds, guess who bought those...... the government saying "they were unsafe for public use"

Correction - Mustang rear end and a Pinto Tranny.
WE should go back 30 years and use that technology. IF cars got 100 mpg the oil companies would just $hit.

It is because of big oil that we don't have fuel efficient vehicles.

you have to see micheal moore's 9/11 movie to get the picture of WHY we don't have fuel economic cars....stupid saudis!

Moore's documentaries are interesting, but should only be taken with a grain of salt. Propaganda mostly.

My 401K which is invested heavily in energy companies thanks you all for purchasing gasoline and using a lot of electricity. Things are never as simple as they seem especially in global commodities markets and organizations as large as the government and auto manufacturers. That being said, the idea of any sort of conspiracy by "the man" to keep highly efficient cars out of the hands of consumers is just stupid. In my opinion just as likely as George Bush orchestrating 9/11.

If car companies could mass produce such vehicles and consumers wanted them there is no way they would allow any other organization to stop them. The potential profit is simply way too high.

As for Michael Moore, he is of the opinion that the weathiest in the country should pay at least a 75% income tax. Yet, how much of his own money does he pay in taxes? He, like everyone else, tries to pay as little as possible. How much money has he given to charity then (any charity even one of his choosing?) very little. When his actions start to match his words I may consider listening to him.

I believe wholeheartly that if or when cars can get 80 to 100 mpg on a mass scale, gasoline prices will soar along with the mileage. If you could get 600 or more miles out of a tank, gasoline could easily be $18+ dollars or more a gallon. The Oil industry conglomerates are not going to give up their money whether there are ultra fuel effecient cars or not, we will still pay one way or another.

What you cant buy

I don't know why ford won't keep the St. Paul plant open and build a diesel ranger.
They would sell like mad.

In 1960 Ford built a car that could get almost 30 MPG.
They sold tons of them.
Link
I guess the US auto makers got fat and happy.
Now we all pay the price.
Instead if the conusmer picking what they want.
All the cars will have to meet tough CAFE standards, if you want new car, enco box will be all you can buy.

YouTube - YERTpod11: Not Your Standard CAFEs or Roofs in Michigan

People are so stupid.

Yeah, I don't understand how come the USA haven't caught the turbo diesel car bug? They get great MPG and good torque.

My dad had a 2006? Ford Fiesta turbo diesel - got an easy 50 something MPG on the highway. He just sold it and got an Audi A3 turbo diesel.

I'll be damned if I'll let the US government dictate to me what car I drive in the future - I'll simply never buy a modern car. Wonder what Obama's presidential vehicle gets MPG wise? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't understand how come the USA haven't caught the turbo diesel car bug? They get great MPG and good torque.

My dad had a 2006? Ford Fiesta turbo diesel - got an easy 50 something MPG on the highway. He just sold it and got an Audi A3 turbo diesel.

I'll be damned if I'll let the US government dictate to me what car I drive in the future - I'll simply never buy a modern car. Wonder what Obama's presidential vehicle gets MPG wise? :rolleyes:

I don't know why.
From what I understand part of it is the auto makers think the US consumer won't buy diesel.
They have a bad of a rap because of the junk they have produced in the past.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/reader_rides/4293188.html?page=7

There's a lot to respond to in this thread, so I'll start with the initial claims about Moody and Shetley.

May 21, 1979 Article:
Mechanic Ralph Moody and entrepreneur Mike Shetley announced the news with appropriate fanfare: their four-cylinder Moodymobile (May 21) could travel 84 miles on a gallon of diesel fuel. That was about all the two could agree on, however, and their partnership was soon running on empty. In July Shetley, 37, submitted his own Shetleymobile, which he claims can average 110 miles per gallon, to the Environmental Protection Agency for testing. The car actually got 52 mpg, but flunked two out of three emissions tests. A later version met the EPA's 1979 standards, but not those of 1980. Meanwhile Moody, 61, and his son, Ralph, are refining their own gas and diesel engines. "We know we can get by the EPA right now," says the elder Moody, "but we just want to see where we're going. We've got people sitting here to buy what we're selling."

Good o'l Moody...caring about his family and generations to come in their gasoline turmoil :p

I guess the US auto makers got fat and happy.
Now we all pay the price.
Instead if the conusmer picking what they want.

This is as much the consumers fault. The big three just gave the American people what they wanted, big trucks and SUVs with big gas engines. Gas was cheap and no one wanted a fun little car. The American premise of big is always better is coming back to bite us in the a$$.

This is as much the consumers fault. The big three just gave the American people what they wanted, big trucks and SUVs with big gas engines. Gas was cheap and no one wanted a fun little car. The American premise of big is always better is coming back to bite us in the a$$.

Consumers are what drive the market.
Make gas cheap they will want hot rods and big trucks.

Make it 4 bucks a gallon and they will buy pintos and vegas.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Cafe standards just take control of the market.
You will have little or no choice on what to buy.
Thats not the Consumers fault.

Make a car that goes like hell handles great, looks great, and gets good mileage it will sell.

Thanks for the link! I'm gonna read 1-10 - interesting reading.

I almost forgot, the Lincoln Mark VII had a 2.4 liter 6 cylinder diesel option.

Edit: Ooh, it was a turbo diesel designed by BMW, apparently.

Ya its a good read on the junk that GM put out :D
Those x cars :yuck:

Main reason the people I know avoid the diesels is a lack of knowledge of their inner workings, not to mention the newer clean turbo diesels are all loaded to the hilt with sensors and wires and vacuum lines that makes an LS look as simple as a 1960 Dodge under the hood.

Members online

No members online now.
Back