factory radio reception

carlo1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New 2004 LS owner here. What's the deal with the Factory radio reception? This unit is by far the worst unit on any car I have owned as far as reception. I rarely have a clear signal on all local channels within the Cleveland area...Is this common?

BTW since Im talking about audio in this car...the rear speakers are totally worthless in these cars. FYI I have replaced the 4 door speakers with aftermarket already but I might as well have kept the factory rears since the imaging blows.

C

my o3 alpine stock system bumps and haven't or going to, change it . Weird what model o4

As for the reception, could be if the previous owner tinted the rear glass, or removed tint from the rear glass, or replaced the rear glass, he broke the antenna connection in the process. :shifty:

my o3 alpine stock system bumps and haven't or going to, change it . Weird what model o4

2004 V6

As for the reception, could be if the previous owner tinted the rear glass, or removed tint from the rear glass, or replaced the rear glass, he broke the antenna connection in the process. :shifty:

No tint - I'll take a better look at the antenna

I have a 2004 v6 as well. My reception is crap when I'm in the cities. It gets better when I get about 20 miles out.

wow this is weird, my radio reception is by far the best ive owned from any car. I usually dont have a problem picking up reception 60 miles away. Check to make sure the antenna is connected

I was just thinking the other day what good reception I was getting. Tinted windows, too. Mostly listed to CD's, though.

Just replaced the door speakers today and it sounds a lot better.

I can testify to the fact that H2's have the WORST reception of any vehicle. My Alpine works just fine, and Im about 45 minutes from any major radio tower.

:headbang: Kicker KS680 6x8's. They're much clearer at high volume. I figure they will handle the power better once I put my reciever, amp, and subwoofer in- hopefully soon

My reception is too good. If I am anywhere near a metropolitan area I can't use my iPod FM adapter becuase I can't find an open station.

Phew!...

My reception is too good. If I am anywhere near a metropolitan area I can't use my iPod FM adapter becuase I can't find an open station.

:shifty: :D

Good to see I'm not the only one with that problem of the iPod FM transmitter!

However, back to topic, my reception is GREAT with this car(tints) and I was just telling my g/f the other day how MUCH I LOVE the radio in my car vs her '07 VW Wolfsberg-Jetta.

P.S-Anyone else think that --> :yuck: looks like the old poison control warning stickers?!?!? HA!

No tint yet...I just took a look at the antenna on the rear window. I'm assuming that it is the piece mounted on the top window rear next to the LED unit. It looks like it can be swiveled into diff. positions, dont see how it would matter but I changed it's position and will try tomorrow.

If that doesnt work maybe I will take a look at the antenna connection in the back of the radio.

C

Sure that's not a cell phone antenna or something? LS antenna is embedded in glass, like the defroster grid.

I have an 04 V6 as well and local connections are great but anything outside has bad interference. Im not sure what it is and i do have tinted windows though.

The antenna is connected to the rear window thru a small "button" which is epoxied(conductive) to the glass and the antenna contact patch. The small antenna cable snaps onto the button and swivels a bit, but be CAREFUL while playing with it, the "button" can snap off the glass all too easy, so I found.

There is an antenna amplifier that has the short antenna cable to the button. The main antenna cable plugs into the amplifier. My problem was with the antenna cable crimp being loose. I had intermittant noise and poor reception. banging on the head liner temporarily fixed the problem and lead me to the antenna crimp. If I wiggled the cable near the amp, it would crackle etc.

The antenna plug appears NOT to be a standard size and is difficult to find, least I haven't found one after several months of on again off again looking.

The antenna amplifier has a power lead and is grounded to the body.

The cable goes forward over the drivers head in the head liner.

Any of these components could be giving you problems. So GENTLE checking may show you what is wrong.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Good stuff Jim! This sounds exactly like what I was looking at and figured this device is what had to be the antenna seeing it had to be wired to something. I will check it out more and post back.

C

Members online

Back