Got my A$$ handed to me.... :(

I think the only real differentiator between all of these viewpoints is perspective. As I have said before my LS is a king of the dragstrip or any other race venue when I compare it to my previous minivan. As for the maintenance what to some people could be a major issue is nothing all that big to me. I have to do a ball joint. No big deal. I had an old pickup truck that needed ball joints and clutches every few years. To some people that is a lemon. To me it is simple wear and tear. A neighbor used to have a Countach and that thing was a piece of crap. Half the time it didn't run. When it did it was amazing. Quickness, speed, lemon or not, it all comes down to what you are comparing it to. Should I expect better? I don't know. And I'm happy so I don't care.

And lest the argument come up again; that doesn't mean that I am the cause of the financial crisis. If you can catch that reference +2 cool points to you!

quick.... just remember that a Lincoln LS cant the handle the power or handle well enough to compete in anykind of auto-x:rolleyes:

Figured I'd spout off at the mouth a moment and add my opinion to this thread.

First and foremost, as many have said, this is not a pure performance car. It's a luxury sport tourer, with the luxury before the sport. This car has exceptional balance, decent brakes, and a tractible and efficient (in terms of power production) engine.

The luxury ammenities in this car, though outclassed by many modern cars in terms of features and technology, are nothing to be easily dismissed. The poise and composure with which the car drives under normal circumstances are it's most rewarding characteristics in my opinion. We must remember that this car was designed in the late 90s and put into production in early 00's. We're talking about another decade! Much of the new technology being offered in economy type cars of today was not being utilized by most people at that time, or had not been offered to the public (mp3 playback, bluetooth, keyless go, radar cruise, or any other high end luxury feature offered today.)

These cars offer a character, a presence and style all their own. Just like any car made before them they have their downfalls and problems, as well as their flourishes and innovations. This was never designed to be the end all be all of automobiles in any category, but rather Lincoln's interpretation of what a luxury sport tourer should be. Take it for what it is.

Any car is what you make it, even though the factory intended it to be something else. It's all relative... whether you think it's a race car or a luxury car with some passing power. I think how you see this car depends on other cars you have driven.

I miss the car in terms of having something nice and comfortable to climb into that had enough power to keep with the pace of traffic and it was fun to see how it stacked up to something at a red light but I never beleived it to be a race car. I just dont understand how some people do, unless they have never driven anything with more performance.

I'm not complaining. I was simply stating that the LS is not a race car.

really - cause this
Ford really sucked out on the LS that is for sure.
sounds like you are....

and this
Maybe top 10 faulty engines. reliability? Maybe best engine in means of simplicity? So what makes these engines 1 of the top 10?

All that car of the year this award that best in class stuff is way way over rated. I believe none of it.

Maybe if it was FWD it would be a different tone.;)

ok first off..... two sigs on here I absolutely love

"I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy"
and
"I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock at 1100fps"

second... after having a four wheel locked 4x4, a 400hp stang, and a turbo civic, this car owns all of them except the truck! More fuc to drive and easier to cruise in. This car excels most at 27mph on main street, but is very capable of taking the power and doing other things.

Race Car?--'Land Speed LS'

I've found myself watching this thread with lots of interest as it's grown. A few comments:
First, trying to catch another car that's going past you and seriously trying is a difficult job, at best. If you examine the physics involved, you'll easily see that you may need an extra hundred horsepower to make up for your opponent's extra momentum.
Second, debating what's faster is almost silly. Start from the fact that we're talking about a luxury 4-door sedan. If you have a determination to have a serious racer, you'll have to do several thousand dollars of work to your car just to have the safety features that are necessary to be able to compete. And then you start doing the things necessary to go fast. Witness the old saying---'Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?' Because I have commercial sponsors, I'll only have about an extra $10 thousand in out-of-pocket expense.
Third, I've been careful to try not to cut down on the every-day utility of my car. But, everything is a trade-off. My roll-cage is constructed to give me the most possible room. But doing so cuts down on the foot room in the back seat. And the fire bottle takes even more room in the rear passenger area on the right side. I have to duck my head a little extra when entering the driver's seat. My 6-point seat belt is required due to the class I run, but it is too much trouble for taking a quick trip to the store. And I expect to have to run a drogue parachute while racing this summer.

The various cars mentioned in this thread don't seem much to show up in land speed racing. But then, I have unlimited latitude in the changes I can make to my engine and transmission.:shifty:

The AJ engine works exceptionally well for what I'm doing.
KenS from Ben's Place

and when logic fails - start repeating yourself.... next yell.

Let me try that repeating myself step.

That was all just facts. LS's are slow, they have problems, IE ford sucked out. All they do is look good.

Again, the LS is more than capable of what it was made for. No one sucked out!

Now for the yell.

You are one who obviously bought the wrong car!

Again, the LS was more than capable of what it was made for.

Just one change, at the risk of being flamed by the LS faithful. I think that is the fact that most newcomers or first time LS buyers don't realise is that it was a car on par with most others. Does that mean it sucks now? No, I dont think so but it was definentely a better performer when it first came out based on the performance of other cars it was meant to be stacked up against.

Members online

No members online now.
Back