My heat dosn't work- DCCV help

crownsbroyal

LVC Member
Reaction score
My heat isn't working, if it does I have to have been driving for a long time on the highway. I searched the fourm for help and I did the test on the DCCV. I read a code 2477, what do i do, I believe I saw somewhere that the system needs to be reset??? What should I do, and how do I reset it? Is this going to cost alot to fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's not quite typical of a DCCV problem. Here's a quick way to rule out the DCCV, in your case. Unplug the electrical connector at the DCCV, and then drive the car with the blower on high. You should get maximum heat all the time, as soon as the engine warms up. If you do, then it is not the DCCV. If you don't, then it may be the DCCV, it may be a plugged heater core (very rare on these cars), or it may be trapped air in the engine cooling system (not uncommon).

Push in on the release tab while pulling the connector away from the valve assembly.

That's not quite typical of a DCCV problem. Here's a quick way to rule out the DCCV, in your case. Unplug the electrical connector at the DCCV, and then drive the car with the blower on high. You should get maximum heat all the time, as soon as the engine warms up. If you do, then it is not the DCCV. If you don't, then it may be the DCCV, it may be a plugged heater core (very rare on these cars), or it may be trapped air in the engine cooling system (not uncommon).

This does not make sense to me and because if you unplug the DCCV and than the heater works it seems there is a problem with the DCCV.
My V6 only had heat when I revved the engine so I unplugged the DCCV and now I have maximum heat all the time so I am sure the DCCV is the culprit.
On the V6 it is very easy to unplug the DCCV as there is a second plug above the DCCV, it is a pain to disconnect the plug at the DCCV but on the V8 you have to disconnet the plug at the DCCV because the plug above the DCCV also feeds the auxiliary coolant pump.

This does not make sense to me and because if you unplug the DCCV and than the heater works it seems there is a problem with the DCCV.
My V6 only had heat when I revved the engine so I unplugged the DCCV and now I have maximum heat all the time so I am sure the DCCV is the culprit.
On the V6 it is very easy to unplug the DCCV as there is a second plug above the DCCV, it is a pain to disconnect the plug at the DCCV but on the V8 you have to disconnet the plug at the DCCV because the plug above the DCCV also feeds the auxiliary coolant pump.

You're not thinking about this the right way. The DCCV is two simple valves, one for the left side and one for the right side. When there is no power to the valves, then they open wide and allow full heating. When power is applied to the valve(s), they close and stop all heating. The climate control opens and closes the valves to get to what it thinks is the right heat level. (It can and does also apply partial current to cause the valve to open partially for just a little heat.)

Now, if you are not getting heat, it will be for one of two reasons. Either (1) the valve(s) are stuck closed, or (2) the climate control is supplying current to the valve(s) causing them to stay closed. If it's (1) then the valves are at fault. If it's (2) then the climate control is at fault.

Unplug the valve. If it's (1) and the valve is stuck then it will stay stuck and you still won't get heat. This means the DCCV is clearly bad.

If it's (2) then when you unplug the DCCV, the valves will open and you will get full heat. This means your climate control was sending the wrong signal to the valves, so your problem is elsewhere in the climate control.

Do you understand now?

+2 explanation

Great explanation, easy to understand, and that's how it works!

Where is the DCCV located? I was just saying the other day how it takes FOREVER for my car to heat up. Thank God for the heated seats as it seems it's the only thing producing any heat, and even they take 5+ minutes to get warm. I do have a V8 LS.

Mark

On the right side of the radiator, about midway down.

Looks like I have the same problem... checked the manual and it looks like a total PITA to get to the DCCV :mad:

My heat isn't working, if it does I have to have been driving for a long time on the highway. I searched the fourm for help and I did the test on the DCCV. I read a code 2477, what do i do, I believe I saw somewhere that the system needs to be reset??? What should I do, and how do I reset it? Is this going to cost alot to fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is your heat working now? I am trying to find a solution to the same problem.

I flushed the coolant and changed the t-stat. I have heat while driving and nothing when it's idle. I'm going to run the DUAC test when the wife brings the car home tonight. Still not sure if it's either the DCCV or the Aux Pump.

I flushed the coolant and changed the t-stat. I have heat while driving and nothing when it's idle. I'm going to run the DUAC test when the wife brings the car home tonight. Still not sure if it's either the DCCV or the Aux Pump.

It is more likely to be air in the cooling system.

If you have heat while driving and nothing at idle. Then it strongly points to the AUX coolant pump. Which is located directly under the DCCV.

Members online

No members online now.
Back