The mystery beep caught on video

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This video is from last year but when I took it I noticed I caught the beep and "E" in the video. When I put the video on putfile it got cut off soI never mentioned it. I now see that it plays longer so if you never caught it flashing the "E"....this is what it looks like. Its right at the end.

http://media.putfile.com/02-LSE-0-60-wspinning

I myself have only actually caught the "E" on the display with my own eyes like once so I thought it was kinda funny to catch it.

Its like a X-File. I want to believe!

What the hell does it? I really wanna know. I dont recall it displaying the E after getting the re-flash on the trans.

I have heard the mystery beep many times, but have never been able to catch the message center in time. Although I swear that the display changes, im just never fast enough to catch it. Ive had the tranny reflashed but i couldnt tell you if that fixed the problem or not, my memory is not that good.

Its just some glitch. I don't think anyone knows why. I get it only once in a blue moon. Its done it on the stock tune, with Xcal tunes loaded, D5 or SST like in the video. Completely random best I can tell.

I've had this happen to me as well!?:eek: I just blow it off due to it not staying on or causing any problems but I guess I'm not the only one. It did it today after it not doing it for a very long time though.

Its just some glitch. I don't think anyone knows why. I get it only once in a blue moon. Its done it on the stock tune, with Xcal tunes loaded, D5 or SST like in the video. Completely random best I can tell.

It's a momentary communications failure between the trans computer and the PCM. We're talking nanoseconds here.

it puts an 'E' in the gear indicator - and the words 'gear selection data error' below.

Last edited:
I always thought it was something like a secret communication between two identical LS's when they pass each other.

Nice video catch! How long did you have to drive around with a camera in your hand to catch this?

Has anyone else got the updated trans flash? I know since I got mine it didnt pop up with a E.

Awesome video, So I guess I am not going crazy. I guess I can scratch this problem off the list of dozens.

So I had an '03 and never had this issue. Driving my '05 this past week I saw it!!! I only caught the E part and not the msg center. Doubleuuuu teeee efffff??

Although I swear that the display changes, im just never fast enough to catch it.
I'm pretty sure mine says service transmission or something like that, but you're right, the message center does change.

That's in my 03.

Has anyone else got the updated trans flash? I know since I got mine it didnt pop up with a E.

Updated transmission flash? The dealership does this yes? Is it free and will they know what I'm talking about when I bring it up?

They should know. It helps the hard shifts with if I remember 3rd gear.

I dont know about cost cause I had the full warranty but I really dont see it being covered. I think they may have just did it for me cause of the misfiring coil problem when I first bought the car and they thought that may have been the cause but it was so long ago I dont remember.

Gee willickers!!! Finaly some type of visual evidence of the mystery beep. Could the same thing be happening in the non-sport LS's, because there's not a spot on the dash that shows what gear you are in like the sport LS.

Members online

No members online now.
Back