Is it possible to add rain sensing wipers to an 04?

LsUnV2

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
title says it all, my 2000 has it but not the 04?? why and can this be added

I'm betting it would be more trouble than it's worth but like any thing else it's probably possible it's just a matter of how much cash you want to spend.

Try this. I just installed it on the '06 this morning. It really wasn't too tough of an install and Rain Tracker even supplied the required diodes. I soldered a few of the connections and it took me ~3 hours start to finish.

Try this. I just installed it on the '06 this morning. It really wasn't too tough of an install and Rain Tracker even supplied the required diodes. I soldered a few of the connections and it took me ~3 hours start to finish.

pics, and where did you install the control module??? how big is the actual sensor

pics, and where did you install the control module??? how big is the actual sensor

You know, I didn't think of pictures until I was done. The sensor is ~1.75" square and looks factory. I installed it just under that black shaded area under the mirror. It is actually quite small and unobtrusive. I installed the module under the steering column; using Velcro to hold it down on that steel ceoss member. I accessed the wiper wires near the stalk. There are 3 plugs under the column trim. The wiper plug is the one on the top, left. If you pull the tape off you have good access to the needed wires. There is room under the trim piece for the connections. You WILL need this wiring diagram. It looks more complicated than it is.

how does it operate?? do you leave the wipers off at all times???? also can you leave the switch that is supplied in kit out of the install and just wire it to a switched power source and if not d=can the switch be left on without draining power

how does it operate?? do you leave the wipers off at all times???? also can you leave the switch that is supplied in kit out of the install and just wire it to a switched power source and if not d=can the switch be left on without draining power

I drilled a hole under the trunk/fuel door releases and mounted it there. It looks real clean and factory. You could probably leave the switch out of the loop, but they don't recommend it. You will also get some dry swipes when the system energizes. The system works in parallel so non-sensing operation will still work. If you leave the factory system off and the sensing switch on, you will be operating in sensing mode. Switch off then you will be in normal wiper mode.

Rain-sensing wipers were an option until mid-'04, so you might be able to retrofit the factory system if you want to go that way. Of course, that would probably require a new windshield (the rain-sensing cars had different front glass), and that alone is significantly more expensive than LS4me's RainTracker kit...

I don't know about the gen 1 wipers but the gen 2 rain sensing sucked.
Just wasn't sensitive enough on my 04 even at the highest setting and people were complaining the system was defective.
That's why it was discontinued.
I discovered that putting a piece of dark tint over the sensor increased the sensitivity but it wasn't to my satisfaction.
I happily figured out that pulling the plug at the sensor made the wipers revert to intermittent operation and posted it on the board here.
Hope that aftermarket unit works better than that.

Just wasn't sensitive enough on my 04 even at the highest setting and people were complaining the system was defective.
That's why it was discontinued.
I discovered that putting a piece of dark tint over the sensor increased the sensitivity but it wasn't to my satisfaction.
I happily figured out that pulling the plug at the sensor made the wipers revert to intermittent operation and posted it on the board here.
Hope that aftermarket unit works better than that.

The gen 1 system works well. Sometimes it needs a kick-start, though. I missed it so much on the '06 (still have the '00 but my daughter gets it most of the time) I was looking for an alternative. The Rain Tracker passed the squirt bottle test with flying colors. Now I will have to wait for real rain, if it ever rains here again.

this might be kind of a dumb question but how do i know if i have rain sensing wipers on my ls,its a 2000

this might be kind of a dumb question but how do i know if i have rain sensing wipers on my ls,its a 2000

Look for a rectangular "box" under the mirror. The instructions on use are in the OM.

That's weird, it seems too sensitive in my 03', i like them, my only problem is how they make one sweep when you start the car - in the winter I reach in to start it to let it warm up and they throw snow down the neck of my coat, love that, and otherwise they make a loud squalking noise as they drag across the slightly moist windshield.

That's weird, it seems too sensitive in my 03', i like them, my only problem is how they make one sweep when you start the car - in the winter I reach in to start it to let it warm up and they throw snow down the neck of my coat, love that, and otherwise they make a loud squalking noise as they drag across the slightly moist windshield.

If you leave the auto function off until you need the wipers you won't get the test swipe.

Members online

Back