Gauges and Beeping

HOU02LSV8

LVC Member
Reaction score
This is a 2 parter, hopefully someone knows these.

First, I dont remember my gauges going from on side to the other when I start my car. Is that normal or am I just being paranoid? Example: Speedo, fuel, tach, an so on going from the lowest position to the highest and then back to where they belong.

Second, I get that beep noise, like low on fuel noise sporadically and not when I am low on fuel. The display doesn't read why it did it, it just does. It is very random to.

The only times that's happened to me with the gauges is when the battery is almost dead. It's happened twice and the first time I had to charge the battery back to life. The second time (last month), it did that a couple of times before the battery actually died...

The second issue is probably the random mystery beep - if you're lucky enough to be looking at the message center there might be a quick message there. Usually by the time you hear the beep and look down the message is gone!

Hmmm... search.. Our search function sucks.. that's gey. If we had a good one, I would then personally post links of the search function to point people in previously covered topics.

I have searched the hell out of this site so many times, and I haven't heard anything about all the guages maxing out and then coming back when started. It sounds like a GM thing, and my LS doesn't do this thats for sure!

As for the random beep out of the status monitor, in my previous searches its a ghost in the machine. I got a glimpse of the monitor once when this happened and it said something gear shift related.. I dont remember nor could I read the whole thing. It blinks on and off that fast. Needless to say its nothing bad and just one of the MANY things we have to get used too on this cars. :p

The gauges do that when you remove the connectors on the back side of the gauge cluster. Sounds like it's losing it's memory or connection to the car. Like was mentioned, sounds like a weak battery could be your culprit. Have it tested at AutoZone.

Hmmm... search.. Our search function sucks.. that's gey. If we had a good one, I would then personally post links of the search function to point people in previously covered topics.

I have searched the hell out of this site so many times, and I haven't heard anything about all the guages maxing out and then coming back when started. It sounds like a GM thing, and my LS doesn't do this thats for sure!

As for the random beep out of the status monitor, in my previous searches its a ghost in the machine. I got a glimpse of the monitor once when this happened and it said something gear shift related.. I dont remember nor could I read the whole thing. It blinks on and off that fast. Needless to say its nothing bad and just one of the MANY things we have to get used too on this cars. :p

I'm pretty quick at looking at the display, but I never see the screen change, It is just the beep. Strange I guess.

Speaking of beeps, like in my dads excursion, a fuse controlled the no seat belt beeping from hell. How can I stop the no seat belt beeping from hell? as in, disabling it? If has to be tuned then nevermind... haha

I'm pretty quick at looking at the display, but I never see the screen change, It is just the beep. Strange I guess.

Unless your almost looking at the cluster, you probably won't see it. When you hear the beep, the message is pretty much gone. I have caught a part of it once, some kind of data error if I remember correctly but wasn't able to get it all. Don't worry, I think most of us get that every now and then.

And check the battery, that should help resolve both your problems (gauges and trunk popping open).

The gauge sweep happened to me once, when I first installed one of the SCT tunes, I thought it was part of the tune since it happened right after, but never happened again. I get a beep once in a while too, never quick enough to catch why though??? I figured maybe sometimes the voltage is dropping low enough for a split second to set it off or something???

The first couple times this happened to me I thought it was a fuel indicator letting me know when I was at half tank, quarter tank etc. But later I noticed the fuel gauge was no where near half when the phantom ding occured.

Glad this question was asked because it has puzzled me for months. Although I may never know what causes it I am relieved to know that it is common and most likely not a problem.

Mine said something about a transmission error or something. But it goes away just as fast as it shows up. Some fluke where it can't decide what gear to go into or something?

Speaking of beeps, like in my dads excursion, a fuse controlled the no seat belt beeping from hell. How can I stop the no seat belt beeping from hell? as in, disabling it? If has to be tuned then nevermind... haha

+1 on the RTFM or just wear the seatbelt (you will be glad you did when someone runs a red light and blast your a$$)

It works fine. The issue is that so many people post the same question over and over that the search now returns too many responses. It's a simple product of people not doing a search in the first place.

That random beep/message happens to me a lot. I've never been able to read the entire message since it goes away so fast, but from the times I've happened to be looking at the cluster when it happens I've seen what appeared to be the words GEAR, DATA, and ERROR.

Mystery Beep

Seems like I read in here somewhere that it could even be related to the seat heater. I also get the mystery beep & my drivers side seat heater does not work. I don't really need the heater in Florida, but am considering trying to fix it just to see if the mystery beep disappears.

Seems like I read in here somewhere that it could even be related to the seat heater. I also get the mystery beep & my drivers side seat heater does not work. I don't really need the heater in Florida, but am considering trying to fix it just to see if the mystery beep disappears.

They are unrelated, the mystery beep is a momentary break in communication to the main computer.

Hey! I always wandered whether my ears were slowly going. Now I know better :p

Hey! I always wandered whether my ears were slowly going. Now I know better :p

That's just it. You hear the beep so your hearing is good! I get the beep too and the first few times I thought I had just accidentally bumped the traction control button.

Last edited:
That's just it. You hear the beep so your hearing is good! I get the beep too and the first few times I thought I had just accidentally bumped the traction control button.
Heh, I thought it was yet another bug to be chased down in my LS. Now just need to replace the wheels and I'm all done :)

I just got done with a engine replace on my 05 Navi and I have brought it back like every other day i seem. Engine light keeps comming back and recently I have a "Engine Temp data error" message flashing. The message flashs when my temp needle goes from the normal halfway position to straight bottomout than jumps back to regular position. Its currently back in and honestly im losing faith! I've only had her for 6 month!

I just got done with a engine replace on my 05 Navi and I have brought it back like every other day i seem. Engine light keeps comming back and recently I have a "Engine Temp data error" message flashing. The message flashs when my temp needle goes from the normal halfway position to straight bottomout than jumps back to regular position. Its currently back in and honestly im losing faith! I've only had her for 6 month!

English! Do you speak it?

English? I didnt know our post where being graded by college proffessors... this is a thread which someone started and another with similiar problems may want to chime in on and maybe just maybe get knowledgable info instead of a smart ass remark. And yes go ahead and yip yap about how newbi's need to use the search option but before you do how do you think I came across this thread. Im sorry i didnt have time to spell check so feel free to do so, theres a few grammer incorrections just for you!

Members online

No members online now.
Back