Can these cars be trusted after the warranty expires?

ADE 1000

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am at a crossroads with my LS and I am looking for feedback. I have a 2005 LS V8 that I purchased back in June with 32K miles on it. It currently has 40K miles on it and the warranty will expire in April 2009. Aside from the extremely poor transmission calibration, I am happy with the car given the price I paid for it. It is on the verge of needing new tires and brakes and I am trying to decide whether to dump it now or keep it for another 18 months.

I know the warranty on the coils has been extended, but are there any other problems to watch out for between 50K - 70K miles?

Thanks

You must be confused, dont ever trust anything named Lincoln LS.

Na j/k

to be honest there decent cars. It will require maintence.

youll go through a set of coils (sometime) for sure, hopefully not valve cover gaskets. Window motors tend to fail or fall off track, ive had a headache with door handles breaking on me.

like any car its got problems. You cant really foresee what will happen. you could pay for an extended warrenty, nothing will break, and then after its up the car will deciede its time. but most of the things your going to see in the next 12-18k miles in my eyes wont be related to warrenty work. things like brakes/oil changes/fluids. you can get a set of coils on ebay for around 250$ and they are really simple to put in. if the warrenty is more then 500$ i would have to put some serious thought into it.

Because you have to replace tiers and brakes you want to replace it?

As soon as my ash tray is full I'm going to replace mine.

Because you have to replace tiers and brakes you want to replace it?

As soon as my ash tray is full I'm going to replace mine.

Yes. I don't see any logic in spending over $1000 in new tires if I don't plan on keeping it very long.

When trading it in, a dealer isn't going to give me any extra for new tires and brakes.

Yes. I don't see any logic in spending over $1000 in new tires if I don't plan on keeping it very long.

When trading it in, a dealer isn't going to give me any extra for new tires and brakes.

How much is it going to cost to trade in for another car compare to replacing tires & brakes, how much and how long will you extend you debt because of want as compared to need.

These cars do need maintenance. I have put 79K miles on my 02LS8 (no warranty work), and including 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of brakes I have spent about $4000 maintaining it.

NO! unless you don't mind spending couple of Gs a year fixin stuff that break down.

valve cover gaskets.
Window motors tend to fail or fall off track

valve cover gaskets were only problems for the Gen1s and a few early 03's with the old gaskets.

It was not the window motor - but the little plastic regulator - and again Gen1.

What he said. On the other hand, my LS has yet to leave me on the side of the road.

valve cover gaskets were only problems for the Gen1s and a few early 03's with the old gaskets.

It was not the window motor - but the little plastic regulator - and again Gen1.

Gen 1's were prone to a few other problems.

Not every Gen 1 saw these problems but some were things like the de-gas bottle and ball joints.

But I agree with some other people. Very few if any cars do not have problems.

And it is worth it for me. My warranty is up and hopefully all my problems have been fixed but if any occur I can honestly at this point say "hey, its got some good miles on it now, whats not to be expected?" To be honest, for a car running on close to 90k miles I had very few problems and so have many other LS owners after you think about it.

The DCCV with go out in the next 15K miles for sure, I already had mine replace under the extended warranty. I paid $1360 for the ext war and already had about $2200 worth of work done. I guess am ahead on it. I also have about 74k miles on her.

#1. Never trade a car in . Sell it yourself.

#2. Selling a car a few months after you've purchased it, usually means you are about to take a bath financially.

I've had my 2002 V8 LSE since December 2002. Got it brand new. Have 103k miles on it now, and this thing is solid and better than the german brands I've owned. It's literally squeak and rattle free and runs flawlessly still. I've replaced all of the coils, the alternator, battery, the coolant tank..and thats about all of the post warranty repairs I've had to deal with. Doesnt leak anything, transmission is fine (not the best performer, but at least I havent had to have any repairs..yet)..interior leather is holding up better than my BMW.

I cant complain..at ALL. And plan to keep it for 4 more years or about 170k miles as my daily driver.

Almost forgot..the front swaybar bushings. replaced those myself a few months ago. But thats a suspension wear item..so..not really a "repair"

Keep it... it won't require that much... Coils could last you a long, long time to come; mine are factory originals and I've got about 96k mi. on them. And that's after I found them taking an oil bath from my valve covers ('03 model). Most everything everyone else stated are generally Gen I problems. Aside from normal maintenance, you'll be fine.

The DCCV with go out in the next 15K miles for sure, I already had mine replace under the extended warranty. I paid $1360 for the ext war and already had about $2200 worth of work done. I guess am ahead on it. I also have about 74k miles on her.

What is the DCCV?

#1. Never trade a car in . Sell it yourself.

#2. Selling a car a few months after you've purchased it, usually means you are about to take a bath financially.

I've had my 2002 V8 LSE since December 2002. Got it brand new. Have 103k miles on it now, and this thing is solid and better than the german brands I've owned. It's literally squeak and rattle free and runs flawlessly still. I've replaced all of the coils, the alternator, battery, the coolant tank..and thats about all of the post warranty repairs I've had to deal with. Doesnt leak anything, transmission is fine (not the best performer, but at least I havent had to have any repairs..yet)..interior leather is holding up better than my BMW.

I cant complain..at ALL. And plan to keep it for 4 more years or about 170k miles as my daily driver.

I bought the car for less than its wholesale value back in June. Even if I trade it in right now, I do not expect taking a bath on it at all. Actually Edmunds still lists the trade in value as equal to what I paid for it.

I appreciate everyones input. :Beer

DCCV is the Dual Climate Control Valve. It's what controls the dual setting for the AC and Heat. It is located by the radiator.

Someone mentioned that the warrenty on the coils have been extended. Can someone provide more detail? What model years? how long have they extended the warrenty?

2nd gen, 2003-2006 10 years or 100K miles program 07M07 and 07N09.

Do a SEARCH, there is a lot written on this.

IMHO, get the extended warranty and keep it. I bought mine with 42,000 miles. At about 50,000-55,000 I had back to back to back etc problems. Coils, tranny, battery, tranny again, battery again, DCCV and a couple other small things. I paid about $1300 for the warranty and I've had roughly double that in repair bills. However, since then I've not had any troubles. Although right now my tranny is leaking oil and the auto up function no longer works on my windows. But the warranty will cover that, too.

That being said, I suppose it doesn't hurt to try to get something else. But don't trade it in. you'll lose your shirt. Sell it outright or keep it. those are your options.

I bought the car for less than its wholesale value back in June. Even if I trade it in right now, I do not expect taking a bath on it at all. Actually Edmunds still lists the trade in value as equal to what I paid for it.

I appreciate everyones input. :Beer
I bought mine in July for less than wholesale also. And mine also shows a trade-in more than I paid for it. That doesn't mean thats what you will get. The car market is terrible, most dealers just want to get rid of cars, and don't even want trades.

My factory warranty(the five year) just expired two weeks ago, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but my car seems to be well maintained and is in excellent shape.

just noticed this thread again

if you go into a dealership expecting tires and brakes to be replaced under warrenty, there gonna laugh you out the front door.

ive been in the dealership business for way to long. im not a salesmen but yea. even with a big downpayment on a car. expecially right now. your gonna loose a ton of money.

but if negative equity is something that doesnt bother you, go right ahead.

Members online

Back