digital mpg accurate???

FrankLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i recently bought my LS. Its a 2006 with 27k. I love this car.

I rode back home which is a 250 mile trip and the digital mpg read 20 at best. I reset the trip and again only went up to 20mpg. Im using premium. Is this an accurate reading? If so whats wrong, i was hoping for more than 20.:confused:

Is using unleaded stupid for an LS?

I don't believe you can get leaded gas, if you can it would ruin the cats.

Mileage can vary due to your driving style, but on a trip you should get at least 25 mpg on the hwy.

Nogales....are you using Mexican gas? Not the best fuel.

lol. no no mexican gas in this LS.

i know u cant use leaded but how about like regular or something other than premium 91+. Any harm to the engine?
Im not a crazy driver at all. I drove like an average of 75-80 mph. How about the accuracy, you think its accurate?

There has been a lot of discussion on premium/regular, the Lincoln LS is a performance automobile that runs best on premium, that is all I run as it says on the fuel filler door, not worth possible problems or less than best performance...IMHO.

What size wheels do you have?

If you bought the LS in your area you might want to change the fuel filter. It is a easy DIY, driver side front wheel well behind liner, use the search at the top of page should give you all the info for changing.

Check the air filter with the dust in that neck of the desert.

I'd do like gc said - check/change the fuel and air filters. I saw 25.4 doing 80+ on a the trip from GA to NYC last November. That was with a KKM intake and 2.5 exhaust and a stock tune.

I've never seen the digital gauge off by more than 2mpg averaging over a tank.

if you have recently reset it (disconnecting the battery, ...etc) it takes a few tanks to be accurate again - however - like Owlman says, it read the fuel level gauge and the actual miles traveled, so it's pretty accurate.

Mine seems to be very accurate. And it only takes a minor change in driving style to change the MPG you are getting. When I am paying attention I can easily get 26+ on the highway. Around town I have too much fun taking off from stop lights. But simply merging aggressively has an impact.

+1 to the guys who suggested the filters. Also make sure your tires are properly inflated as I hear that makes the biggest difference. :D

mine seems accurate, on the thruway i get around 25 mpg at 65-80mph and i'm averaging 18.0 city... although oddly i have this problem where every now and then my average mpg will just drop suddenly to 0.0 and i have no idea why. when i reset it and it starts measuring normal again, but i wish i wouldn't have to so i had a more long term measurement.

ya the more you fool with it the less accurate it becomes, as far as your mpg, check tire pressure, filters, make sure nothings going wrong, what kind of oil are you useing weight & type? my last trip from dayton to dallas I averaged 33-36 @ 75, full synthetic fluids 0w-20 oil, enerpulse spark plugs, and everything else was factory

i checked my air filter and its in very good condition no dirt or clogs. Its the factory one so ill deff upgrade to K&N soon. Im running 235/50 on 17" which im sure are the stock combo. Tire pressure is also good.
im unsure of what type of oil was used prior to me buying it but ill go ahead do an oil change in the coming up mnth. Im also going to change the fuel filter just to make sure it has nothing to do with it.
Today ill be driving back home from california which is about 450miles, ill let you guys know what i average.

What do you guys think about Pulstar plugs? Good, bad, save gas?

I went ahead and checked the airfilter and its in good condition. It the factory one so ill upgrade to K&N soon. Im not sure exactly what type of oil was used on the vehicle before i baught it so ill just go ahead and do an oil change in the upcoming mnth. What type of oil should i use for best performance?
I still need to check the fuel filter but im pretty sure that wnt be a problem.
Ill be driving back home from California which is about 450 miles so ill see how i average out today. Im running 235/50 on 17's which im sure are the stock combo. Tire pressure is also good.

What do you guys think about Pulstar plugs? Good gains, worth the money?

so i got it working properly now. I filled up and reset the digital mpg on a near empty tank. 2 tanks later its all normal now. Thanks guys, thanks Quick

I got 28mpg on a trip from Chicago to NYC. This was with the trunk loaded with stuff. Around town, I only get about 15.5 mpg, as I drive short distances stop and go. =(

you have to use premium fuel in the ls due to its uncommonly high compression ratio, it will detonate underload like crazy if you run anything less than 91, most still noticably detonate @91 so ya, and anything can effect fuel economy, wind direction & strength, old tires, tire pressure, oil type, quality & weight, these engines can achieve unbelieveable fuel economy, and the comment ranging in the mid 30's was not bs, hard to believe yes, but not bs, I still average over 30 highway and 22 city, but i've done a lot of things to get there too, hell you can set the cruiz and increase it 1mph and watch the fuel economy fall so ya, not to mention payload, i weigh 180 lbs, I add another 180lb person my fuel economy goes down 3 mph lol was your car loaded down with luggage or people?

I dont wanna start another arguement about the plugs I run so just take it on a grain of salt, if you want information do a google search, I run 0w-30 mobile 1 synthetic oil, set of enerpulse pulstar spark plugs, an air oil seperator on the vc-intake manifold pcv line, keeps about 1/3 quart of oil out over 5000, run 35 psi in the tires, have a voltage stabilizer, ported throttle body & aluminum tb to manifold neck, 93 octane fuel and bypassed the coolant line running through the throttle body, keeps it on average 80 degrees cooler, have seen between 34 and 36 continuously between 65-75 on lvl ground, no bs

FrankLS.....Your from Nogales?!?!?! Kooooool!!!! I have a bunch of friends that went out there to visit! I went to Nogales High School.......Over here in Southern California, and the band went over to N.H.S. over there and played with them! I knew like half the people on the band. My g/f was one of them! Crazy!!!! and yeah........I get Waaaaaaay better mpg than that on my 2005!

But.......I have a V6! hahahaha..... :D
L8rz!
-JJ :cool:

You can always check your gas mileage the old fashion way or analog way by dividing the miles traveled from one fill up to the next fill up by the gallons pumped on last fill up.

My digital mpg and analog mpg is off 1/2 mile more on the analog.

My message center mpg always reads lower than what I calculate from miles driven / gallons to fill the tank; usually by about 2 mpg.

Members online

No members online now.
Back