Supposedly new halos/ HID lense swap/ Yes a lense swap

LsUnV2

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so your wondering what the hell right? Heres the story, I bought the Vivid Red OEM HID headlamps with angel eyes off a member here. Everything looked ok at first but then i noticed the lenses were in horrible condition. i tried to clean them up and was gonna buff them out but realized that the crapness was on the inside of the lense. Whoever installed these decided to buff the inside but not the whole inside. Only a strip across the center was buffed and i cant figure out why. Maybe some adhesive got on there and had to be removed, who knows but it looked like :q:q:q:q. Both headlights were this way. these were supposed to be unused but after opening them up i dont think so but whatever...

I have a spare set of 03+ halogen lamps and decided to cut the lense out and swap them. This was a risky decision, the cost of OEM HID headlamps is ridiculous. I paid what he asked which is alot. So i just said screw it and went for it. I got the lense off pretty easy of the donor headlamp and as described in the photos had little trouble swapping the lenses. I have the driver side completed and will tackle the pass side tomorrow. Here are the pics.

http://s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/LsUnV2/HID%20lense%20swap/?albumview=slideshow

How many hours did you spend? It obvious you've got experience with headlamp and lense mods. Nice job. Its sad my 02 needs new lenses (or buffed out) and I just haven't had the time. I'm questioning whether I should tackle the job and to do the angel eyes at the same time or just by some replacements, I saw a post that had units for the '02 gen 1 bought off ebay for just over $100.

Again, great job.

s.

It sounds like in your case you can buff yours out, there is a product out that can restore your lense. Its a 3M kit. Unlike you my headlamps have been modified and it was the inside of the lense that was messed up so no buffing on the outside would help. This isnt easy unless you have the grey glue that seals your head lights, if so you can heat themm up in the oven to open them. Im actually considering doing these for people during the winter when i dont work ( seasonal ). O and it was about 5 hours

I'll tell you what, your most likely a life saver to some of those people that have the black glue now that you posted so many nice pics of the process rather than just saying dremmel here and there.

Congrats on the work, sucks that a legit deal had to go wrong.

okay so i try the same technique as on the last headlight and, Surprise!!!!!, its been cut through the clear lens and epoxyed back together. That was good in a way because it came apart easier but the rest of the clear lens was stuck in the groove that the replacement lens had to go into. so an hour later i got it out. getting everything back together was pretty easy. The screws were a big help.

So i take the back plastic piece off to expose the HID headlamp and notice the inverter was completely different in size than the last one. I have installed these before and they dont come with two different sizes. Also there is a Wire tap for each of the 2 wires going into the inverter and one that is tapped but had been cut off, evidence of the previous inverter. What im sayin is that these werent unused. click the link for a few more pics

Response was being typed just now. Sorry my response was not quick enough for you. Jerk.

o snap! lol i say do to others as you would like others to treat you..I got a question i have a 03 LS and wanted to do the angel eyes setup but read on lsk that there kit won't work on a 03..? also i live in toronto canada and have read that due to the cold winter a lot of them have to do replacements or issues with it, any insight would greatly appreciated

Go here http://www.lightwurkz.com/. They quoted me $500 to do them and paint the bezels. Kind of pricey but they said it's a painful process in getting them apart with out damaging them.

$500!?!? Of course they're going to tell you it's a painful process. How else would they get $500 out of you?

Dremel - ~$40
Spare set of headlights - ~$200
Paint - ~$10
RTV - ~$5

Sell the other set of headlights when you're done + ~$200

You're out ~$55 to do it on your own, assuming you don't already have a dremel.

Just take your time, it's not rocket science. Lightwurkz doesn't have some $10k machine that pulls your lense off in 5 seconds. If you get stuck, ask questions on here and post pics if you can with where you're stuck. Someone on here will be able to help!

Mark

Members online

No members online now.
Back