What car ramps do you use?

S117MC

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of having to use a jack and jack stands every time I need to raise the LS off the ground. However, the ramps I have are too steep for the front lip to clear. I don't want to just use some 2x4s or something to decrease the slope because the ramps have a tendancy to slide across the floor (I have to put my Explorers in 4-wheel drive to keep from pushing them away) and would not want to have the ramp shoot out from under the tire and drop the car on the pieces of wood.

Does anybody have experience with a set of ramps that slope gently enough to clear the front of the car and actually raise it up high enough to get under it? I'm no small fry and need more room than the low profile ramps I've found will provide. (Who can fit under a car only raised 4" off the ground???) I'm also not looking to spend a lot of money either, so if you use some of those $300 sets don't waste your time suggesting them to me. :eek:

have a set of black plastic low profile ramps.

and a quick and very cost effective solution to your problem with them sliding across the floor...rubber mat, or have someone hold them lol.

I don't use ramps... them sliding is a pain, I don't need to lift my truck to get under it and the car... well, sits a bit too low for ramps anyway. Low profile floor jack and jack stands for this dude!

Make them. I made a set from 1x6 plywwod. I used 3 pieces each side. First cut is 18 inches, second cut is 12 inches and the last cut is 6 inches long. I then stacked them and butted one end together and nailed them together. I can now drive right up an them and get enough hieght to use the floor jack or I take them to my mechanic's so he can get his lift under my car. Sorry no pics. You can make them higher by adding another piece on the bottom about 22-24 inches long.

Big ass old school red ones!

Didn't use them yet, I just got them actually,... at a yard sale for 5 bucks.

have a set of black plastic low profile ramps.

and a quick and very cost effective solution to your problem with them sliding across the floor...rubber mat, or have someone hold them lol.

Been there, done that with the mats and my dad trying to hold the ramps. Neither worked very well for the Explorers, so not gonna chance it with the car.

How high do your plastic ramps lift your car? Where did you get them?

Been there, done that with the mats and my dad trying to hold the ramps. Neither worked very well for the Explorers, so not gonna chance it with the car.

How high do your plastic ramps lift your car? Where did you get them?

I have a set of the black plastic Rhino ones and have had no trouble getting on them at all. They have rubber feet on them to keep them from sliding and they work great. You can get them anywhere.

http://rhinoramps.com/

+1 for Rhino. I have had problems with the sliding, but that was due to the concrete they were on.

Husker... is your car lowered?

No it is not, but the S60R is MUCH lower than the LS and I've had no trouble with it getting on and up them either.

The Rhino ramps start out pretty low, yet give you plenty of room to get under them once the car is up.

You have an S60R?!?! My parents have an S60 turbo... the R is just sexy. I wish it weren't FWD though!

You have an S60R?!?! My parents have an S60 turbo... the R is just sexy. I wish it weren't FWD though!

It's actually AWD but I know what you mean.

I absolutely love it. It's an 07 Sonic Blue and it's a blast to drive. My parents just bought an S80 which they really like too. The R is just a beast man and it's somewhat of a sleeper too. I really like it.

i have the rhino ramps as well. if nothing else its good for getting the car off the ground. makes for putting the front end on jackstands alot easier lol.

those black rhino lining material ones? hold what, 8000 lbs right? I sell those at fleetfarm... its a minnesota store >.> ask pektel haha

I have a set of the black plastic Rhino ones and have had no trouble getting on them at all. They have rubber feet on them to keep them from sliding and they work great. You can get them anywhere.

http://rhinoramps.com/
Thanks for the advice. I'd seen them online, but didn't realize they had rubber feet to help prevent sliding. I was imagining plastic would slide really bad and wasn't even considering them. I checked around, Advance was able to order me some, they arrived within an hour, and were on sale for $32.96 until November 1st.

My Review/Opinions :
- They are sloped gently enough, I had about 1 - 1.5" clearance from hitting the front valence when starting up the ramp.
- Turns out they don't hold 8000lbs per pair. The small print on them says they hold an 8000 lbs gross weight vehicle, and obviously they only hold up one end of the vehicle, so they really only hold 4000 lbs a set (or 2000 lbs each); still plenty strong for an LS.
- I'm using them on a very slick concrete floor and with those rubber feet they slid less than 2", even though I was starting and stopping on them to try to make them slide.
- They don't provide very much lift. Enough so I can change my oil from the front, but not enough to get anywhere near the center of the car. I'm over 6' and about 240 lbs, so maybe someone smaller would have more luck.
- They are so light that it is extremely easy to lift them well over your head if you want to hang them high up on your garage wall for storage.
- The big stops at the end of the ramps should make it hard to accidentally drive completely over the end of them. However, if you're considering using them for a lowered car, they might stick up high enough that even if you're clear on the incline of the ramp you could hit those stops with your valence as your tires get to the top of the ramps.

Overall, well worth buying. The ability to change my oil without having to fight a jack and pair of jackstands under the car is worth the price alone.

Thanks for the advice. I'd seen them online, but didn't realize they had rubber feet to help prevent sliding. I was imagining plastic would slide really bad and wasn't even considering them. I checked around, Advance was able to order me some, they arrived within an hour, and were on sale for $32.96 until November 1st.

My Review/Opinions :
- They are sloped gently enough, I had about 1 - 1.5" clearance from hitting the front valence when starting up the ramp.
- Turns out they don't hold 8000lbs per pair. The small print on them says they hold an 8000 lbs gross weight vehicle, and obviously they only hold up one end of the vehicle, so they really only hold 4000 lbs a set (or 2000 lbs each); still plenty strong for an LS.
- I'm using them on a very slick concrete floor and with those rubber feet they slid less than 2", even though I was starting and stopping on them to try to make them slide.
- They don't provide very much lift. Enough so I can change my oil from the front, but not enough to get anywhere near the center of the car. I'm over 6' and about 240 lbs, so maybe someone smaller would have more luck.
- They are so light that it is extremely easy to lift them well over your head if you want to hang them high up on your garage wall for storage.
- The big stops at the end of the ramps should make it hard to accidentally drive completely over the end of them. However, if you're considering using them for a lowered car, they might stick up high enough that even if you're clear on the incline of the ramp you could hit those stops with your valence as your tires get to the top of the ramps.

Overall, well worth buying. The ability to change my oil without having to fight a jack and pair of jackstands under the car is worth the price alone.

Glad you are pleased with them overall, I've used them for years on different cars with a lot of success.

You are correct though, getting to the middle of the car is a challenge.

Members online

No members online now.
Back