AC always on with auto setting?

moundtown

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm all about using the auto setting with the climate control, but not so hot on the AC always being on. Even if I crank the temp up to 80, the AC light stays lit. It's just not necessary to run AC when you're heating the car, right? Can't that also damage the AC compressor? Not to mention the poor gas mileage from spinning that compressor constantly. Anyone agree? Hopefully I'm doing something wrong...

I usually press the AC button to simply turn it off and save some MPG.

you are asking it to automaticly control the climate of the car, to do this the car may want to use the AC, if you dont want the AC to be able to turn on and save some gas, just turn it off

That's the way it's supposed to work, you aren't doing anything wrong. No, running the AC compressor and the heat at the same time won't damage anything. I think the mileage difference is only about 1 MPG or less, don't worry about it. Having the compressor run removes moisture from the air and makes it more comfortable. Note that even with the light on, the compressor won't run in very cold weather.

Joe got it right...

Read your owner's manual on the climate control. A/C is used to dehumidify the air; it prevents mold and that horrible musty smell in your vents. In reality, as much as it's used, you won't make a size-able impact on your mileage; maybe not even a noticeable impact.

Also, even though the light stays on, in very cold weather, it isn't used; the ability of the air to hold moisture at very cold temps is significantly decreased to a point where running the A/C would be useless... the engineers accounted for this.

I've just started using the defroster for the first time also in the colder weather we've been having. This is the first vehicle I've had where the A\C light came on. I've been switching it off but I'll try leaving it on and see if the windshield defogs faster.

I've just started using my heat in the past few days also. With outside temps around 40-50 and the auto temp set to 74, the air blowing out feels cold. I have to put the auto temp to over 80 for it to start to feel warm, even if I push the AC button and turn it off. Is this normal? And yes the motor is up to operating temp.

I've just started using my heat in the past few days also. With outside temps around 40-50 and the auto temp set to 74, the air blowing out feels cold. I have to put the auto temp to over 80 for it to start to feel warm, even if I push the AC button and turn it off. Is this normal? And yes the motor is up to operating temp.

Try bleeding the system, go to TECH ARTICLES at the top of the page and under LS find the drain the cooling system and read the part about bleeding the system, also check fluid level.

Members online

Back