98 Seville good/bad?

Konrad

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 98 Cadillac Seville SLS, 100K for $7000 and you guys would probably know the most, so help me out if you have a second. Let me know of any known common problems. I've heard that oil consumption and wheel vibrations are the most common ones. Anything that might be usefull to me, please let me know. How is the overall performance? Is the motor strong enaugh so that it won't die on me if I step on the pedal a couple of time? I don't want bearings blowing or pistons flying. And finally, should I buy it or not.
Thanks!
:feedback

First thing you should check is to see when the coolant was last changed. Since it is Dexcool, they recommend 5yrs/100,000 miles. It should have been changed at least one time. All northstars use oil. They are a high performance engine, and therefore, tend to eat it up. I think manufacturures specs is 1qt/1000 miles. The northstar requires WOT (Wide Open Throttle) here and there, to keep it from building up carbon in the engine. Excessive carbon buildup will hurt engine performance. It is okay to ronp on it now and again. It will keep it running in tip top shape. As long as it has been properly maintained, and not had the s**t beaten out of it so to speak, then you should be okay. If you keep up the proper maintenance (oil changes,...ect) they will easily last over 150,000 miles. Good Luck.

Thank you, I will definitely keep all of that in mind. What's going on with wheel vibrations at 70 mph? Are cadillacs really sensitive to wheel balancing?

Not a bad buy. Take it to a guy that knows caddies inside and out and get his opinion. What is the age of the owners? Where did they have it serviced? Are there service records? Freeway miles? Garage kept? Snowbelt or sunshine car? Wear on leather? Discolored paint?

You can kik it now and then, and it will like it!

I have a 2002 STS, and does need a little more service than a regular sadan, but its a lot more car. I love it, if it was stolen, i would go out and buy another one tommorow, maybe Black this time.

Konrad said:
I'm looking to buy a 98 Cadillac Seville SLS, 100K for $7000 and you guys would probably know the most, so help me out if you have a second. Let me know of any known common problems. I've heard that oil consumption and wheel vibrations are the most common ones. Anything that might be usefull to me, please let me know. How is the overall performance? Is the motor strong enaugh so that it won't die on me if I step on the pedal a couple of time? I don't want bearings blowing or pistons flying. And finally, should I buy it or not.
Thanks!
:feedback

Could be balancing. What kind of tires are on it? One may have a broken belt or something. Also, specificaly, the Uniroyal Tiger Paw's with nail guard have a problem with staying balanced.

Have them balanced. If it doesn't go away I'd look at tie rod ends. Not a common problem but that will cause high speed vibrations.

Konrad said:
Thank you, I will definitely keep all of that in mind. What's going on with wheel vibrations at 70 mph? Are cadillacs really sensitive to wheel balancing?

Wowee!! Like that FLEETWOOD!!

I'm glad to see a fellow Fleetwood Lover. :yourock: These are Totally Way Cool Cars!

If I had a larger garage I would own one myself with ALL the goodies on it.

So I say to you RIGHT ON BRO!! And keep on motoring big time.

Coupe De Phil

:dancefool

Members online

No members online now.
Back