Water in Trunk?

water leak

I spoke to a non affiliated repair facility and he found a repair notice of an upgraded weather seal. I also called dealer and they could find nothing--Typical--if it doesn't stare then inthe face and isn't easy --they don't care--i'll let you know if this is a fix.

I will see if I can find anything here too.

joestock4 said:
I spoke to a non affiliated repair facility and he found a repair notice of an upgraded weather seal. I also called dealer and they could find nothing--Typical--if it doesn't stare then inthe face and isn't easy --they don't care--i'll let you know if this is a fix.

trunk leak

There is a repair bulletin that describes an upgraded seal. It does seam to work. Cadillac says there is no such thing. I found it by talking to a company called All Night Auto -in troy michigan. it cost 68 for part and another 60 or so in labor. They gave me printout of the bulletin.

good luck
joe

Repair Bulletin ?

Do you know if this bulletin is on line, or is it clear on what needs to be done?

I still seem to get a little dampness, but nothing like before I did the lid seal, I'm starting to think about the sunroof drain ... If I find anything else I will post it.

joestock4 said:
There is a repair bulletin that describes an upgraded seal. It does seam to work. Cadillac says there is no such thing. I found it by talking to a company called All Night Auto -in troy michigan. it cost 68 for part and another 60 or so in labor. They gave me printout of the bulletin.

good luck
joe

While vacuuming about 5 gallons out of my spare tire well saturday, I leaned my hand on the seal at the lip of the trunk - sort of like the one in Roy's first picture. My hand came away wet. I pulled part of the seal away and it has something like grease in it. I took the plastic cover off and it looked like water trails were visible on both sides about 3'' in from each side.

Next warm day comes along, I guess I'll be following your advice, Roy. I doubt if I can get good pictures - black on black with black goop - but we'll see...

Thanks for the informative posts everyone!

Hang on until spring...

Because its winter here I can't do it now but I WILL figure this one out, My son will get in the trunk with a light and I am going to pressure hoes the &#$t out of it. I will Post what I find

Ed N Indy said:
I have taken my car back to Cadillac for the 3rd time for water in the trunk. They cant seem to find the leak. They have replaced the rubber seal. Still leaks :C

Roy said:
:Beer now my case of beer will not get wet!
icon7.gif

Very common probem with STS and very easy fix, remove, clean, Seal, replace and MILLER TIME . Well here is Molson X, (U-NO)

ANY SeVille (1999-2004) People check under your spare... Fix now or pay later.

Well, mine's fixed. I put Permatex Black along the lip the seal goes on, from the curve where the lip turns down from the top of one fender all the way across to the other side. I looked over the way my '99 is (and I bet most are) and made a ^ (inverted v) cut in the bottom of the seal about 2" from the end - using pointed wire cutters - to give water a way out of the seal. Major rain last weekend, no wet anywhere inside. Thanks for the pics, Roy, mine looks a lot like yours, but black seal, black permatex on black Caddy parts won't show up as well. Thanks, all! :C

I fixed the leaky trunk in my Seville. I bought a new seal, since I did not want to do this job twice. I used 3M Weatherstrip adhesive, on both sides of, and along the entire length of, the seal flange. I used about 1/2 the tube. No more leak. To test where the leak was coming from, you do not have to climb into the trunk. Open the access door that goes from the trunk into the passenger compartment, and look into the trunk with a flashlight. Before fixing the seal, I had my wife spray down the deck lid. After about 10-15 seconds, it was leaking at the trunk latch area. After the fix, I sprayed down the trunk lid, with a harder spray, and for at least two minutes. Not a drop entered the trunk. And I tried to make it leak, believe me. I assume that if your trunk seal is still in good shape, you can reuse it. I did not want to take any chances.

Don

Hello, first time poster here. Anyway there is a TSB for the water leak in the trunk of the Seville from 1998 thru 2003. TSB No. 03-08-66-009. It basically says to remove the old weatherstrip and replace it with a improved weatherstrip (part # 25762219 ). It also says to apply a thin bead of wheaterstrip adhesive on top of the existing adhesive in the new weatherstrip. Called a local Cadillac dealer parts counter and was told the part is $51.49. A few days before I called the same dealer and asked how much for them to repair my 98 STS and I was quoted $700 to 800 for the job. (bend over) I will go get the new seal and try to repair in the next week or two.

Hope this helps
Rob

Yeah, it would figure that they redesign it after it doesn't work, and we pay extra. Oh, well, I think it was easier to fix it than go through the dealer, and maybe find out I either a) already had the new seal or b) the fix is really the adhesive (or my Permatex Black... It is still dry in mine (knock on wood). Best of luck on yours.

My Dealer said the seam in the rear quarter panel was the cause of the leak and resealed it. This slowed it down greatly but now I have rust where the bumber meets the rear quarter panal. This blows!!!!!!!!!!

Roy said:
I read somewere to fix this you need to cut the seal 2 inches in from the curve on each side. has any one done this and how did it work? I have a 2001 STS and my spare and spare well is allways wet?
icon9.gif

Hi, i had this same problem with my Seville, the trunk would always have precipitationand be wet especially where the spare tire is. Ii went to Auto Zone and bought clear silicone and spread it around the weatherstripping in the trunk and now it is dry and i have no problems hope it works out !!!

Seville trunk leak

Roy said:
I read somewere to fix this you need to cut the seal 2 inches in from the curve on each side. has any one done this and how did it work? I have a 2001 STS and my spare and spare well is allways wet?
icon9.gif

DO NOT CUT THE SEAL!

Close the trunk have someone spray water down the back window so that it runs down over the trunk and down along the seals.... while someone is spraying water, look through the compartment door in the middle of the back seat with a flash light. You will see that the water gets behind the trunk seal and then travels down along the inside of the seal and then comes out right in the center by the latch. I just fixed this on my STS, use the Black sealant to seal up the seal along the bottom and up the sides of the trunk seal... the top shouldn't matter

Check your seal - - it gets water INSIDE it...

IMHO, when I did mine (see May 19 post) I figured it would be hard to keep water from getting in the seal. It has air relief pinholes in several places, and unless everything is perfect, I think the seal will still get water in it. By making a "drain" hole on each side of the bottom you are giving the water somewhere to go. The "cuts" I made on the underneath wouldn't damage the integrity of the surfaces the trunk closes against.

That's my opinion and I'm stikin' to it.

SevillianSTS, welcome to the list! It sounds like we used a similar fix otherwise. And, after several months and the last week of rain daily, it's still absolutely dry in the tire well.
:C
Werks fer me!

Oh No! I might need to install a diving board!

I stumbled on this forum by accident (while looking for tire info) and was shocked to see how common my problem is. I have been driving without my spare for a while now since finding out that I had a swimming pool in my trunk. Think I'll have my son go in with a flashlight before I start gooping things up. Thanks everyone for advice! :yourock:

Trust us, Geri, the fix is in our posts.

Geri said:
I stumbled on this forum by accident (while looking for tire info) and was shocked to see how common my problem is. I have been driving without my spare for a while now since finding out that I had a swimming pool in my trunk. Think I'll have my son go in with a flashlight before I start gooping things up. Thanks everyone for advice! :yourock:

It's actually easy to see the tracks, take the plastic off from around the trunk latch, you'll see dust trails from the lip the seal goes on down the inside. Get that water outta there before yucky mold sets in, with or without cutting the seal (it's kinda controversial)...

:W

:C

its most likly leaking from the sunroof and running down to the trunck so just poke a couple of holes in the bottom with a tright screwdriver and a hammer ps. watch your exhust

Hi Roy,
I had the same problem with my 2000 STS. The fix (on most STS's) is very simple and only costs about $5.00. GM has an expensive fix, they have a replacement trunk lid seal and sealant. On my car it didn't fix the leak. So I put my son in the trunk (with a good flashlight) and surprise we found it.
There is a seal that sits behind the rear window along the front of the trunk lid lip. It is not the rear window seal nor the trunk lid seal, it is a wind seal (to cut down on wind noise from the front lip of the trunk). It is the screws that hold this seal down that are leaking. When you open the trunk, there are two screws visible holding the outboard corners of the seal. There are two more screws hiding under the folded lip of the seal. Take them out and remove the seal. The little blue inserts (that the screws go into) are what is allowing the water to enter the trunk. All you have to do is to carefully cover them completely with a good sealant. Put the wind seal back in place and put sealant on and over the four screws (especially the two outboard ones) and your problem is fixed.

Thanks for that info. I also have the trunk leak. Maybe with your info I might be able to fix it.

Been Almost 4 Years and Still No Water

Well it's been a while since I have been on the forums (Busy with the joys of small business) Well happy to report the Long term result on my fix was good. Changed my Sub last weekend and cleaned of my trunk to find it Clean and Dry! .. :)

Members online

Back