oil filter 2002 lse

LongIslandLSE

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Who can tell me what filter I need, I have an 02 that was built in the first half of the year (I believe that makes a difference). The guy at mobile quoted me $22 for the filter, aid had a fram for $10 (ph5618 I believe). ??????

Sounds like a rip off to me. Tried a new garage for an oil change today. They Got one at Carquest today for mine (2000 V8) for 5.79. Maybe it was 5.79 EXTRA though, come to think of it.

i know for the LSE's some filters are diff for the first half of the year. I guess i will just buy the fram. i use mobil one so i go every 12000, i hope that filter can last that long.

i know for the LSE's some filters are diff for the first half of the year. I guess i will just buy the fram. i use mobil one so i go every 12000, i hope that filter can last that long.

Why would you wait 12000 in between oil changes? that's insane, no oil is made to last that long, you're slowly killing you're motor.

The FRAM website fails, I need to look up what filter I need... How do I do that without knowing the number? that's what I want to know!!!!

Also, K&N doesn't have a filter for an 02 LS8... just looked. :(

There are those that claim that Mobil 1 can go 12,000 or more. If you are out of warranty, then it is your choice to try. However, even those that claim the oil can go that long (with testing) don't claim that the filter can. They still change the filter every 5,000 or 6,000 miles.

For what it is worth, I wouldn't trust Fram for 1 mile.

The LSE uses a different oil filter because of the higher stress placed on the muffler bearings from the weight of the ground effects.

Why would you wait 12000 in between oil changes? that's insane, no oil is made to last that long, you're slowly killing you're motor.

I guess every Beamer will be dead on the side of the road then. I just checked my oil, it looks like i drove maybe 8k. I am changin ut this weekend. Well i guess every one with a 02 lse knows about the oil filter.......

The LSE uses a different oil filter because of the higher stress placed on the muffler bearings from the weight of the ground effects.

You're also supposed the change the oil every 10,000 (instead of 12,000) for this very reason. The muffler bearings get hot which breaks down the oil faster. I think they fixed this in the second half of the year though.

Know any truckers?

Familiar with the oil sensors in the oilpans of modern BMW's and Benzes?

Ever sent used oil in for an oil analysis?

Didn't think so.

Mobil 1 is. Mercedes Benz recommends it in all of their cars, and the change interval is 12,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Jan-june is one model and july-dec is another. I dont think it has anything to do with the appearance package.
The difference is in the length of the filter. The earlier build date filter number is for the longer filter. The shorter filter for the later build date makes room for the oil cooler. If you have the earlier build date and have your oil changed by Ford, they will install the shorter filter (cheaper), so using either one doesn't matter. Even if you do have an oil cooler the longer filter isn't that much longer and there appears to be plenty of room for it to fit; it just won't be as easy to slide it through the hole in the plastic piece under the car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back