Had a scary moment tonight. No throttle

JES_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
thats right folks after cruising for more than a hour at PA turnpike speeds (roughly 70+), I change lanes and start to peel off for my exit.
I tap the cruise control and then the shifter twice to get settled into the right gear for the ramp.
BUT, when I press my foot on the accelerator all I hear is a loud click and nothing happens.
Forunately the ramp is pretty much empty at 8:50 tonight so I coast over it alternating between seeing what the gauges are telling me and what traffic is charging up my back. I get the safely across three lanes of traffic and stopped on the shoulder.
I put it in park and then back into reverse. It shifts into gear and starts to back up. So I tap the brake and then shift to 2 in sst. It shifts into gear and then starts to creep forward, but I still have no throttle response.
Now this is a 2002 LS so I know that I have a cable, so under the hood I go.
Well it took me all of three seconds to see the problem

On the V6 motor the throttle body has a two lever linkage from the cable to the actual butterfly. The Rod that links these two together is supposed to be supported and retained by two nylon bushings.
Well one is breaking up and one is completely gone.

Has anyone else here had this happen?

Okay gang, here is the morning after review.
I have a 2002 V6 LS.
Last night while coming home with the family on board, I suddenly lost all throttle response from the accelerator.

What I found was this.

there is a short length of rod that connects the two bellcranks of the throttle body (why FMC designed it this way, I don't know). The throttle cable runs to one bellcrank and then connects to the bellcrank that is on the shaft that turns the butterfly in the throttle. I did note that the cruise control cable is directly connected to that bellcrank.
I'm guessing they did that for a more linear throttle or to reduce the effort at the pedal.

Back to the rod. The rod passes through to nylon bushings and is held in place with a couple of E-clips. This morning I got a really good look at the assembly. One bushing and the e-clip that was paired with it are completely gone. The remaining bushing has cracked and is about to fall out.

So far I have not found anywhere to get these bushings and would really hate to have to replace the entire throttle body just for a crappy pair of plastic bushings.
Does anyone here know where to get replacements for those bushings?

wish i could help you out...hope this dont happen to my 01

Earlier posts seem to inform that the bushings aren't available separately. You have to acquire the whole assembly.
I'm sure that others will chime in with additional info.
KS

Me too!

Sitting at a busy intersection, then no throttle response. Same problem, the small plastic sleeves crumbled from the engine heat.

Ok, here is the solution.

Lowes has the same plastic sleeve in their misc hardware sliding drawers. They come two to a pack for 50 cents.

or go to the dealer, you do not have to buy the whole throttle body (like they say), these same sleeves are used elsewhere on the front of the engine. Have the tech look it up, they will say no way, but don't buy it. It's there. So the tech found it on the schematic, yep that's the one. The dealer wants $16 for two of them. Go to Lowes first.

v8 has a similar setup. dunno for sure, as I've never seen a v6 throttle body, but it is a design as you describe.

Members online

Back