1996 Town Car Speedometer going crazy

pokeeto2

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
After 3 months of using this car, last weekend the speedometer began displaying ascending speeds even while in park. When starting the car, it will start at 0 like usual & 3 seconds later it jumps up to numbers like 90, 117, 137, and even 1999MPH if you put it in KM ( It's completely random & you'll never know what it will display). And while doing that, it also adds to the mileage & possible to the Gas Gauges even when the car doesn't move.

Though it does work normally when you put it in Drive, it does go back to 0 & displays correct numbers as you just go. But the problem returns as soon as you put the car in Neutral or Park.

My Dad had an 88 Mark with 55k back then & it did the same thing.

It just hit 112K today with the help of this problem.

What went wrong? Cause it don't want the system to add up milage it doesn't travel.

Last edited:
Sounds like the speed sensor is starting to go on ya. On the tail-shaft, driver side if I'm thinking right. Time to replace that...;)

Lots of folks fixed this problem by replacing a bad alternator diode pack.
I know, that sounds a bit far fetched.. but if you can test for AC voltage coming from the alternator you'll see the problem. All your other electronics are taking a beating too.

Where is an 'alternator diode pack' inside the alt? if so, then shouldn't I simply replace the alternator and while at it order a new speed sensor for the tranny? My 1996 has this exact same issue. Thanks, Scott
SSmith440@hotmail.com

yesterday i ordered a new not rebuilt or remanufactured alternator. eventually i will get around to installing it. i will also change the clutch fan as it appears to be neraly dead. you can easily grab the fan with your hand as the engine is running.Scott
ssmith440@hotmail.com

Grab the fan with your hand while the engine is running? Really? That is one balsy move man, I would never even take that chance. Good luck with getting your problem fixed.

ha ha....no not me i am stupid enough to grab a fan....that would be my dumy brother. until i saw that i had never before seen anyone grab a fan with the engine running. i did learn though that the electric fan works just fine. looks like door speakers and at least two layers of dynamat extreme will be going in the doors this weekend.Scott
SSmith440@hotmail.com

Hello All; I finally got around to swapping out the origional alternator for a new unit this past weekend. Speedometer issue is resolved. It now reads zero and odometer also has stopped as well as fuel mileage indicator while in park all read zero. I let the dealer do the fan clutch as it was a biatch and would not budge loose even with the removal tool I bought. So both items are fixed and I am glad about that. Thanks for reading, Scott
SSmith440@hotmail.com

Members online

No members online now.
Back