2000 LS Transmission Question...Please Help.

sportsmedic1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I purchased a used 2000 LS about a month ago. When I shift into D4 the dash indicator doesn't change to D4, and continues to display D5. This is the only gear that does this. P,R,N,D5,1,2,3 all display.

I took the car back to the dealer and they are telling me that this is normal for this car, but I have my doubts.

Can anyone with a 2000 LS tell me if D4 is displayed on your dash indicator when you move the gear selector to the D4 position?

Multiple responses would be appreciated, as I would like to take a print out of this thread to the dealer with me if you all say that D4 does display on the dash indicator.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The problem is that when you put the shifter into the D4 slot it doesn't "shift" into D4. Mine does that same thing. It use to shift easily, but after awhile it took longer to shift, then not at all. I think either the tranny needs to be flushed or somthing else. I've had the car for years and it's past the warrenty, so I'm about to drop a boat load on a small deal. Let me know what you find out.

Problem Resolved. Thanks for Your Help.

Ok, so here's the low down. When I test drove the car, I noticed that the transmission was slipping. I bought the car, after the dealer agreed to fix it. The dealer sent the car to Aamco, and they rebuilt the transmission, and replaced the torque converter and solenoid.

After all this and the car still wouldn't engage D4, nor would the D4 indicator light display on the dash. I took it back to the dealer and they couldn't figure out why, so they sent it back to Aamco, who said everything was normal. The dealer then told me that this is normal operation for this car. They stated that since the transmission is electronically contolled, that shifting to D4 is automatically overridden. I didn't think that this could be the case. If that were true, why would the driver even have the option to select D4 in the first place?

So here's the real deal. When I bought the car, the heated seats didn't work. So, today I was poking around the fuse boxes (three panels in one car is a bit much if you ask me...lol) and found a few fuses that were burnt. Two of the three fuses that control the heated seats had burnt out. Coincidentally, one of those fuses also controls the overdrive/drive cancel switch. Lo and behold, D4 and my heated seats work perfectly. No thanks to the geniuses at the dealership and Aamco!

Thank you all again for your replies!

John

Iwish that was my problem. I checked the fuse you described and unfortunatly it was fine.oh well, I,ve been riding without it for a while. Thanks.

Do you happen to know the location of the fuse that controls that. Mine has been doing that for a long while.

Members online

No members online now.
Back