JL The best .... or what?

I use to love jl's also. Untill I got ahold of a diamond mac daddy. Had a way better frequncy range, more excursion, and took a hell of alot more abuse.

It is all in the box design and install. I've heard cheap Walmart speakers sound better than some hi quality ones due to bad box designing and building.

If I were to make a list I would go with JL Audio, FI Audio, SI and Soundsplinter to name a few but I am an sq/sql guy myself. I used to compete in db drag but I like to hear the music now-a-days.

Just won two 12" w3s on ebay for 120.00. yippeeee. upgrade. here is a pic of all jl audio, mb quart, and focal. This guy is in my club and has not been beat in Sound Quality since his new setup.

1st pic is most recent with 10 more SETS of high and midrange speakers. and suicide doors

Go ahead countem. In the first pic you will see he added two more on each side, underneath the side rails. And yes that is another one in the front bumber. a set in each door (4), (10) under the side steps, (1) in the bumper (2) buy the subs (2) more when you open the back doors on the enclosure (2) in the back by the amps, just installed. (8) w7s

rent n roll 1.jpg

Picture 130.jpg

Picture 131.jpg

Picture 132.jpg

Picture 133.jpg

Picture 134.jpg

rent n roll 1.jpg

Picture 130.jpg

Picture 131.jpg

Picture 132.jpg

Picture 133.jpg

Picture 134.jpg

OK, heres how I see it. I had 2 4year old 12w3v2's and powering with 2 JL 500/1. On my hand held meter my best was 129.2dB. Friend of mine has 2 15" mephis audio with the same amount of power. hit 126~128. but you can hear him much further away than me. after looking at all the specs, here is what conclusion I come up with. JL has always been my favorite brand but its not the size of the speaker that make SPL and dB's its air space. Look at the max excursion rate's. Eclipse has alot more than JL. The max excursion rate is going to give you more air volume moved which will equal more sound presure levels.

I myself have always preferred the old school kicker subs, anyways...

I currently have a pair of bazooka 10's that are in the properly designed encloser & they rock pretty good, They are plenty of bass for me.

ANY sub can be made to sound great if in the proper encloser, made out of the proper materials & supplied with the proper power.

I remember back in the day... around 1994 or so, A friend of mine bought a pair of 8" JL audio subs that he made some crazy 32 piece compression box for & they hit every bit as hard as his MTX 12" subs. Once again, it's all about the correct total set-up. JL seems to be a favorite for most people on this board however I believe that you can get something just as good sounding for much less. You could go to wal-mart and pick up (4) 12" pioneers and a couple of the pioneer 760 amps, if the correct enclouser was fabbed up they would sound really good. A bunch of $$$ left in your pocket too!:p

I have a pair of the old Kicker solobaric s10d's (round, SQ subs). My favorite sub is a 12" Eclipse SW8122 DVC I have. Very loud and very clean. It was made for eclipse by TC sound (now audiopulse), and is the exact same as their epic line. If I ever need to buy another sub, I will get it from TC sound.

i, personally, think that the jbl gti series 12's hit harder and sound better than the jl w7 13.5's in the right enclosure.

i had to of them in my old mark vii and blew the doors off of all of my friends kicker and jl systems.

subs

The problem with JL, is that their speakers are the same ones you could buy 10 years ago. They still use foam and everyone that has ever had a JL knows that the foam rips and falls apart. I had 3 10 w6's powered by a 0.3 from phoniex gold( when they actually made good stuff). But as of right now you can't beat the Alpine type X subs. Orion has started putting out some nice stuff as well. And as for Kicker, don't even waste your money. Boston Acoustics makes really nice interiors but their subs lack behind. Memphis is not the same as they were 5 years ago or their amps. And as for rockford and diamond audio, Once they got bought out they started making cheap stuff and hoping the name would carry them. Check out Alpines type X if you ever get the chance.

Diamond Audio subs are really good. everyone who hears my system always compliments my subs! check em out you wont be disapointed!

I agree with Joey, been running my Diamond Audio M6 12" for three years and never had a single complaint. Custom built box, tuned for the Mark VIII. Nobody ever believes I have just a single 12". Pushing it with a Memphis 500 watt Monoblock. Takes everything I throw at it and then some, I listen to a little bit of everything.

Realize also, that it depends on what the sub is built for, Rockford Fosgate builds their subwoofers for SPL (sound pressure level) rather than focusing on SQ (sound quality). Each manufacturer designs their speakers for different things.

With the proper enclosure and power, it's hard to beat a Rockford Fosgate when you're looking for SPL, but put that same setup up against a JL system tuned for SQ and the JL system will blow the distorted RF system out of the water in an SQ test. It all depends on what you want and how well you design your system.

There are many opinions here on the forum, as well as some good advice. My advice is find a reputable car audio shop in your area and consult with them. Stay away from the big chains like circuit city and best buy, they'll sell you anything, but if you find a good audio shop, they'll sell you what's right for you.

One of the nicest sounding SQ cars I have ever sat in was George Saltzman's Corvette with Punch Subs.

While there are SPL only subs, Like the Kicker Solox series, and there are SQ only subwoofers like the Focal KX series ( just what I have ), truth of the matter is that you can make virtually any subwoofer sound good in the right enclosure.

I have heard a low-buck sq competitor with Wal-mart Roadmaster dual cone mids and funky pup subs, and it sounded better than some of the "high dollar equipment, low dollar install" cars out there. He just wanted to see if it could be done.

Honestly, JL Audio is good solid equipment. They are not using the same old technology, if you were to look at the W7 and W6 series. They are amazing subwoofers for overall performance. Unless you plan on running 2000w or more into one subwoofer, then the W7 series 13" sub will do you justice.

There are many opinions here on the forum, as well as some good advice. My advice is find a reputable car audio shop in your area and consult with them. Stay away from the big chains like circuit city and best buy, they'll sell you anything, but if you find a good audio shop, they'll sell you what's right for you.

This is very good advice! The only thing that I would add to it is not to base your system on the subwoofer. Base it on the components first, then the power, then at the very least, the subwoofer.

Only in Rap music is the subwoofer the main speaker...in all other genre's it is only for low frequency fill.

my .03c worth.

.02 cents Plus 1 penny for inflation

--Joe

Members online

No members online now.
Back