115,000 Mile Question

jdsimons

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok i've been reading a lot of post here in the last few months with people having problems with timing chains. More than I would like to hear personally. My 2000 LS V8 Sport has about 115,000 miles on it. I called the stealership to get a quote on labor and want 1480.00 I believe 16 hours I think he said. While this seems awfully steep have many people gone and had the work done just to be safe?? Would like to see some opinions on whether or not I should do this or not.

I think the problem people were having was that the timing chain tensioner would break, a piece of plastic got stuck in the timing sprocket, jamming it and causing the chain to snap. I don't know how much less work it would be to just do the tensioners.

Ya, I know the chains are not the problem but the plastic nylon or whatever tensioners. But of course like anything else the assembly can only be as strong as its weakest link. Also the cost of the parts isn't a real big issue to me i don't think. As far as I've seen on here the parts would only run 300 or so i think. But you put that on top of labor of 1500 is what worries me.

You can probably get another engine for 1500. I wouldn't worry about it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back