My official exhaust cut out thread with pics/video

100_2841.jpg

100_2842.jpg

100_2843.jpg

http://adrian.whoopdee.com/clip.MOV
http://adrian.whoopdee.com/clip.WAV

Didn't the last guy with cutouts throw a rod through the side of his engine???? And try to make a warranty claim????

I just hope you did your research....ILLS and Quik are certainly the guys to talk to about a 400hp LS, good luck and hope the cops in your area aren't a$$holes about vehicle noise......:)

yep that was me, although i dont and most other people besides the insurance company dont believe that the blown motor was related to the cutouts.
http://adrian.whoopdee.com/motor

Holy crap! I've always heard about a rod going through the block, but never actually seen it. What did that sound like when it happened?:eek:

I know you're getting alot of flack for this one, Hotness. Take it in stride. Someone asked on here a few months back about a more agressive sound, and I suggested lake pipes. It may not be everyones cup of tea, but where I live, alot of folks have obnoxiously loud pickup trucks (or riced out civics), and drive them around in L2 just to wrap 'em up. You're trying to be responsible about it by having it kick in only when you need it, and that's more consideration than alot of people (especially ricers, and pickup drivers) show their fellow man. I like a loud exhaust when I "get on it". Who doesn't want to hear their engine rev up? But the key is in having a "luxury" car, when you are running to the store, or stuck waiting in traffic. Looks like you might nail them both. Good Job :D :D :) :D :D

Thank you for your kind words. Seems everybody is negative nancy in these forums. Who doesn't like the sound of an opened up all aluminum quadcam 32valve v8 at 6k rpm?? I just didnt want to hear the crap when I was cruising. That's what makes it gay in my opinion, and thus my agreement with your statement.

To each their own, and I am happy to see that others have gone the cutout route as well, because done right its a GREAT mod!

haha...praise the sound of satan that comes from beneath the LS...may his screams of joy that petrude from the darkness under the LS fill the ears of all the unsuspecting passerby's and let them look in bewilderment towards the racket so discretely disguised in stock LS trim, that has just passed them....have fun driving everyone insane with your LS...

Holy crap! I've always heard about a rod going through the block, but never actually seen it. What did that sound like when it happened?:eek:

well i heard friction seconds before it happened, then it made a crunching sound, wasnt very loud, then the sound of aluminum bouncing under the car sounded like i ran over loose gravel. And then a cloud of black smoke behind me.and then nothing.

Well I thought I would throw an update up here. Got the car on the dyno.

Gen 1, KKM style intake, and the cutouts opened. 60 degrees on a in ground Dyno-Mite dynamometer.

Best run: 225hp and 220 tq. Not too shabby for nearly a baseline. Got the dry shot waiting to go in, and need to get my hands on the apparent unfriendly end-user interface tuner. :D

Wish I knew the 03' packed more power before I bought an 02. :)

Ok, dont get me wrong but I gave this thread a qucik looking over and I didnt see a engine size or year. I take it that this is a V6? I hope so with those numbers.

What do you mean by base line? The difference in HP came with engine size and year, not between sport and non sport...etc..etc.

Anyway, its a V6 that sounds like a Big Block V8 and still all us small V8 owners WILL KILL that car despite Lord Satan crawling around under it.

Good luck, save some more cash cause unless you do you cant get more than what most of use have goten out of it anyway. ( Unless you have the Dif<- Non HP mod, Turbo, or S.Charger ).

Oh, post some scans of the Dyno Slip.

Ok, dont get me wrong but I gave this thread a qucik looking over and I didnt see a engine size or year. I take it that this is a V6? I hope so with those numbers.

What do you mean by base line? The difference in HP came with engine size and year, not between sport and non sport...etc..etc.

Anyway, its a V6 that sounds like a Big Block V8 and still all us small V8 owners WILL KILL that car despite Lord Satan crawling around under it.

Good luck, save some more cash cause unless you do you cant get more than what most of use have goten out of it anyway. ( Unless you have the Dif<- Non HP mod, Turbo, or S.Charger ).

Oh, post some scans of the Dyno Slip.

Those numbers are rear wheel horsepower, its an 03 v-8 rated at 252 flywheel horsepower.

Baseline means in dyno terms, that the vehicle is in stock form. With only intake and exhaust, I was impressed. Especially with all the hating on the exhaust on these forums.

I like lord satan, wish I could get a license plate that said that. :D

I don't know nothing about nothing. But considering how precise a tune these cars have, it possible that things start smashing together (ie valve and cylinder) when elements that effect the timing and the timing variables are so rapidly and drastically changed like this?

not knocking the idea or the mod, just curious…

maybe this is what happened to whatsupadrian. probably not since he and everyone believes it wasn't

or
lets just say if your headers were to suddenly fall off
and you all of a sudden where to find yourself 2000ft higher in elevation than before
and the octane of your fuel supply suddenly dropped
and your knock sensor malfunctioned and...
could that cause a timing problem so bad that things smash into each other?

Ignition timing is what you referring to, and that won't cause any mechanical failure unless your into severe (detonation) pinging. Detonation over time will cause damage, but you will know something isn't right when you hear it.

Cam timing will cause damage if out of sync which is only caused by a breaking timing chain, or wrong installation.

Sometimes a little back pressure actually helps the performance of your exhaust and that gets a little physics heavy to explain. But in a nutshell, timed pulses will help pull the air out of the cylinders thus making a more effective exhaust.

Members online

No members online now.
Back