Slip

Z'sLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
When I come to a stop my car will shift into another gear. For example im almost always in 5th because 4th doesnt work so when I come to a stop I feel a jerk and when I start to go again it feels like im starting in third then it will shirt its self back to 5th? Is it the Solenoid?

If 4th gear doesn't work, umm, that would mean you have something wrong with the trans. Get it checked out.

If you have a distingtive slip and a dipstick tube, use Lucas Trans additive. If its skipping gears, needs professional attention, but a $8 bottle is worth a try. I have friends that used it and a year later, the trans is still going strong. Best cheap fix you cant beat.

If you have a distingtive slip and a dipstick tube, use Lucas Trans additive. If its skipping gears, needs professional attention, but a $8 bottle is worth a try. I have friends that used it and a year later, the trans is still going strong. Best cheap fix you cant beat.

If you knew anything about Lincoln LS you would know it doesn't have a transmission dipstick or easy access filler. Lincoln doesn't recommend use of non-approved fluid, additives, treatments, or cleaning agents. To change fluid you need to go to a dealership where they have special tools to drain and refill, not an easy DIY job.

If you knew anything about Lincoln LS you would know it doesn't have a transmission dipstick or easy access filler. Lincoln doesn't recommend use of non-approved fluid, additives, treatments, or cleaning agents. To change fluid you need to go to a dealership where they have special tools to drain and refill, not an easy DIY job.

+1

z, when you say 4th doesn't work, do you mean you can't manually select fourth with the shifter?

z, when you say 4th doesn't work, do you mean you can't manually select fourth with the shifter?

If I shift into 4th it will say 5th and you can tell that the car doesnt shirt. Then every once and a while it will kick into 4th but then a little later kick back out into 5th, its like it goes in and out and this is all while I have it in 4th. So I dont ever put it in 4th I drive in 5th or 3rd. While im in 3rd it always stays in that gear then when I hit about 2500 rpm I shift to 5th.

know what you mean, mine does the same thing. don't know why but i can leave it in fourth and like 5 minutes later it will just go into fourth. it's actually using fourth gear, you just can't manually select it. if you take off in fifth gear it actually starts in low. it always starts in low, then second, etc.. not really sure what your saying. does it accelerate at normal speed from a dead stop if you leave it in d5 all the time, or does it feel like it's taking off in 3rd gear?

Hmm to me it sounds like a problem with the powertrain control module. Because from what I have read before these cars really aren't a "true" 5 speed. But, you should take it to a professional mechanic someone with all data and see if they can't figure it out before something does mess up. Are there any check engine lights on? Here where I work we just had a car that was AWD and the (PCM) went out on it and the whole time the shop we had it at thought it was the transfer case it was the (PCM).

Well, GURU, I dont know... about gen 1's...because I dont own a gen 1.
I know that the gen 2 is a sealed system and is dealer service. That IS why I said if.

For a second there I was thinking... coo!!! I can try that Lucas stuff. Then I remembered that the lincoln's tranny doesn't have the access.. D'oh! If I laughed at myself for a second.

I placed an IF in there just in case i didn't laugh. :rolleyes:

If I shift into 4th it will say 5th and you can tell that the car doesnt shirt. Then every once and a while it will kick into 4th but then a little later kick back out into 5th, its like it goes in and out and this is all while I have it in 4th. So I dont ever put it in 4th I drive in 5th or 3rd. While im in 3rd it always stays in that gear then when I hit about 2500 rpm I shift to 5th.

if you pull your center console apart, i bet you'll find the D4/D5 microswitch isnt working properly. yes, there is one in there, i missed it first pass.

you can carefully take it apart, without snapping the little clips, or losing pieces, and fix it. i think the spring in mine simply got caught. just make sure you carefully note the orientation of everything. its basically a "diving board" with a spring running parallel from the middle to the "hinged" end. pressing the shiny metal lever simply causes the diving board to flip the other way.

you can manually move the diving board with the ignition on and see if you then get D4 (or connect the wires without cutting them). (pressing the switch puts you in D4). If it still doesnt work, theres a shift lever position sensor on the side of the transmission ($60) that may be the culprit, but you may as well check the 5 cent switch first.

you cant order just the microswitch from ford, but i believe burgess something is the name of the company should your switch have no hope. do a search on burgess switch with the numbers on the side of the switch.

Had the same problem.... found out that the 4th gear is electronically selected by a tiny leaf spring that actuates a micro switch under the shifter, (sounds complicated but its not)... thus sending the input of 4th gear. I found out that this micro switch sticks over time. I fixed it simply by pulling the console, removing the shifter bezel and pushing the micro switch with a toothpick a few times. Took me about 15 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.
Back