8" subs in rear deck lid

88m

New LVC Member
Reaction score
hi, new to the forum.got my 04 v8 ls about a month ago. i am a pretty techy guy but not a pro at audio stuff.

i would like to know what you guys think the pro's and con's of putting 8" subs in the 6x9 space would be?

It could work but you would really have to seal up the trunk very good to keep air from seeping out and it would sound like crap.

It would be easier to just get a small box and put them in the trunk. With 8's you wouldn't take of much room and you would have a lot better sound.

It's a great idea as long as you get the right woofers. Not all speakers are designed to work in a IB (infinate baffle) set up. I would suggest something like the Imagedynamics ID's or IDQ's. You need to make sure you completly seal off the trunk otherwise you will get cancelation and it would not sound very good. This type of setup will not get as loud as it would if you put the subs in an enclosure, but it will get a lot lower and have better SQ.

I was going to do this with a pair of 10" subs but the torson bars got in the way.

Fi Car Audio
IB series 15
IB series 18

Image Dynamics
ID
IDv2
IDQ
IDMAX

Infinity
Kappa 102.7w
Kappa 104.7w

SoundSplinter
RL-s
RL-p

I think Elemental Designs has some too

I had some installed in the rear deck and used the factory subwoofer tray as an enclosure. I had it in for a day and swapped it out due to not being any bass. I would say go with 1 10 in the trunk. If you do a search you will find the pics I posted of an install like this.

you could build a box that fits under the rear deck to seal them that way and save the trunk space

If you know what you are doing, and can fully deaden your trunk, an IB setup can sound just as good as any other design.

I'm actually using 4 7" subwoofers IB. 2 in the rear deck, 2 in the doors. I only have my component system in the front right now.

I'm going with these. I've heard good things about them at various car audio sites. you could also look into edesignaudio.com as well. They have a couple of smaller subs ideal for IB, including a 7" sub.

Would one 8in sound ALOT better than the stock 6x9's?

Yes. It will have much more of a punch sound but this is totally dependant on the sub and the type of installation. for instance a 8" Pyramid sub will not sound as good as factory but a Kicker (or other quality brand) sub would sound much better. On top of that, add an external amp and you could double and triple the output without sacrificing a lot of trunk space.

Members online

No members online now.
Back