Bad Injectors question

2000LSMichael

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Tonight I replaced 6 coils (have 2 more to put in) and the hard starting issue continued, but the car did fire up after about 4 times in 30 minutes.

When I did get the car started and let it ran for a few minutes, when I got it up to 3000 rpm it began to studder/misfire again like it did before the new coils. I put in 2 different coils for the 2 old ones that were still in and had the same misfire result.

This leads me to believe that I have a bad injector(s). I am in the ballpark in my thinking that my hard starts could be due to injector issues that are flooding the car?

Thanks,
Michael

3K rpm is the limiter kicking in by shutting down the fuel in neutral and park.

take it for a spin around your block and take up to that rpm and see if the issue continues

Send me one of your old ones so I can work on the clamping brackets for the HD coils for the V8.

I'll pay you for the shipping.

PM me for the address.

Finally got codes

I finally got 2 codes:
P0172 and P0175

Unfortunately, we have a lot of snow here and the LS in staying in the garage and not going to see anymore snow in its life, so I haven't had the chance to drive it.

I put on a new MAF sensor, so that is most likely out.

What vacuum hoses should I check on the V-8 (2000)?

I am suspecting a fuel injector, but would like to also know where to check for the "exhaust leak before the 1st oxygen sensor."

I am glad that I am starting to make progress....

I finally got 2 codes:
P0172 and P0175

Unfortunately, we have a lot of snow here and the LS in staying in the garage and not going to see anymore snow in its life, so I haven't had the chance to drive it.

I put on a new MAF sensor, so that is most likely out.

What vacuum hoses should I check on the V-8 (2000)?

I am suspecting a fuel injector, but would like to also know where to check for the "exhaust leak before the 1st oxygen sensor."

I am glad that I am starting to make progress....

exhaust manifold gasket(s) is probably leaking.

But I doubt that it a fuel injector that is bad, when were the oxygen sensors last changed on your LS.
The p0172 and p0175 could just be the first o2 sensors going bad...

Oxygen Sensors

Well, good question. I don't think the previous owner ever had the oxygen sensors replaced in this 2000 V-8. Where can I find them on the LS V-8? I am guessing I have to get my car up on ramps.

Also, how hard is it to change the exhaust manifold gaskets? The dealership wanted $350 (now that was a Ford dealership, not Lincoln).

I had a lot of luck starting the car on Saturday (3 times), but when I went to leave the garage, it wouldn't start again. Maybe it is a combo of oxygen sensors, exhaust manifold gaskets, and possibly stuck injector...

I just wish the weather was better here so I could get out and run the car (if it starts) and see if it throws any more codes.

Michael, why are you so convinced it is a stuck injector that is causing you starting issue??

If it was one injector, the motor would start fairly easily, but have a mis just like it had a bad plug or coil.

To me it really does not sound like a bad injector.
Also if you had leaking exhaust manifold gaskets you would have a loud "ticking" noise that you could listen for to see which side's gasket is leaking (not that I would just fix the one).

have you checked your fuel pressure?
have you checked the camshaft position sensor(s) and crank position sensor?
If those sensors are not reading right, the ecm is guessing when it tries to start the motor.

How are you getting the codes from the ecm?
does the tool that you are using have any real time readings?

All new to this....

JES,

I am new to the LS and really going into this blind. I had read on here about injector issues that others were having and an injector sticking open and dumping fuel, causing a hard start; but after reading your suggestions it probably is not an injector issue.

I know that the previous owner had fuel pressure checked about 3 mos. ago and they were told it was ok.

I just put the car up on the ramps and will look for the oxygen sensors. My guess is that they have never been changed. I purchased the reader from AutoZone (approx. $130) but I do not believe it has real time readings.

Thanks again for the help...it is appreciated and is getting me familiar with the gas engine/sensor issues. I am used to diesel tractors!

Michael-Henry-lrg.jpg

Michael, did you get it fixed? I know I'm pretty much a newbie to this car and the forums, but on my 01 V8 the hard starting was indeed due to bad injectors. I brought my car to the dealer 5 times to get it fixed. Each time, they said it was "fixed". It wasn't, it never was. I ended up testing all the injectors myself and found 3 that were not holding pressure/leaking, after the car was shut off. I replaced those 3 and it started like new for about 6 months. The same hard start problem came back, so I just bought 5 more injectors and replaced the remaining ones. Problem fixed. And the dealer said there wasn't a problem with the injectors when I brought it in those 5 times :rolleyes: . I was able to diagnose something like that in my driveway that thier techs couldnt do in a shop with fancy computers and such. Now I don't know about the codes you have, but if your car takes like 10 seconds everytime to start, and if you smell gas fumes out of the exhaust when it does start, I'd look at injectors. For sure though, test your fuel pressure. My pressure dropped almost instantly to 0 after shutting off the car. Hope this helps. It worked for my 01. Good luck.

it's running...

I cleaned the IAC valve and put in 2 new oxygen sensors and it seems to run much better and is starting easier....but that was 3 days ago. The snow is finally melting here and I will take the LS out ASAP.

Michael

Members online

No members online now.
Back