HD COP's update, aka screw GMS

JES_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
After getting the DGS treatment by GMS, and finding myself with some time on my hands. I got back to my contact at the manufacturer, and we have gotten the ball rolling.
I sent him an intermittent OEM v6 coil to use for measurements about a week ago. Today he called to tell me he is shipping out a prototype for the V6's so I can fabricate a bracket for them.

Once I get a bracket fabricated for the V6, I see if we can use it to anchor the v8 prototype cop as well.

Whether we can use one bracket or two, I'm pretty sure that I can get some production runs put together that will keep the costs of these coils down below what a set of white box COP's run never mind the OEM's.

So this is not dead, It is moving.
I'll try to keep everybody here updated.

good luck dealing with granatelli, i wish i would've got those prototypes but they gave me such a run around. they just didn't seem interested, but after-all it is their business that gets affected with this type of attitude

good luck dealing with granatelli, i wish i would've got those prototypes but they gave me such a run around. they just didn't seem interested, but after-all it is their business that gets affected with this type of attitude
read the title of the thread again. Screw GMS.
That is why I finally made a contact that works for the company that makes Granatelli's COPs and got him to work with me. Even he was tired of their utter lack of interest.
I'll be fabricating the cop brackets myself.

I have not stayed with this quest for this long only to let people who think it is too small or too boring to stop me.

I don't think they understand how many people will switch to these COP's if they are proven to be better. I know I will to get that little bit of throttle response or unattended hp out of my car. Also it being cheaper is even more of a reason to switch if you ask me. Good luck though.

JES LS

If you need help, let me know. I'm fairly tight in some automotive circles, albeit, behind the scenes.

Unfortunately I have no plans on owning a LS. Too small a 4dr vehicle for my tastes.

JES LS

If you need help, let me know. I'm fairly tight in some automotive circles, albeit, behind the scenes.

Unfortunately I have no plans on owning a LS. Too small a 4dr vehicle for my tastes.
Hey I appreciate the offer of support, and I'll probably be taking you up on it when it comes to the project planned for the next LS.
But right now what I need is a little bit of time, and then some dyno time.

Are you talking about a bracket that would mount the COPs to the valve cover and/or head?
Yes, the Manufacturer said that even if every Lincoln LS owner wanted these cops, it would still not be cost effective to for them to make a coil body mold that would have a useful mounting lug. So we are using a HD coil whose body does not have a mounting lug, customizing the wire + boot length and using a fabricated clamp.
I've seen a couple of Rube Goldberg jobs that were washers and long bolts, but a properly made clamp should not be that tough. Its just a matter of machining costs and how many units have to be made to get pricing breaks. If push really came to shove I could start molding them up in plastic myself.

Keep us updated man... I told you when you were workin the GMS route that I'd throw down the cash as soon as they were available... nothing has changed!

the cop's did make a difference in throttle response in my opinion and although the minor changes are real sublte they are still noticeable. the car just felt "different" after they were in. unfortunately they got taken out after just a couple of days, but i wouldn't mind having them in again. keep us updated

I'll keep you guys in the loop.
Now its just me and the coil manufacturer.
No more middlemen that don't believe that anyone else can know anything.

I'll post as soon as I have the coil in hand.

okay as promised,,
I got the coil today and I'll be pulling out one of the standard replacements ones so that I can measure the mounting ear. I have a couple of ideas on what we could use, but my Dad had a simpler clamping idea.

You do not want those coils bouncing around. Nothing takes them out quicker than a jostle or hard tap.

That is true, but since the wire now has a positive locking connector on the spark plug and a real conductor between the coil and the plug, there is already less chance that the coil will move around. The clamp does not have to force the coil down against the valve cover and the head to maintain both location and connection. It just has to keep the coil from moving around.
To me that means that the coil needs to be held over the spark plug terminal accurately but does not need a lot of downward pressure on it to make connection.

To me that means I can use a simpler clamp than I originally sketched.

How about something like a distributor hold down? A flat peice of metal, or plastic even, with a lip on one side to act as a wedge and force the other side down on the top of the coil as you tighten the screw.

How about something like a distributor hold down? A flat peice of metal, or plastic even, with a lip on one side to act as a wedge and force the other side down on the top of the coil as you tighten the screw.

good thinking, I had something similar in mind. I'll try to get some bar stock from my Dad's bin tomorrow and see if I can't carve up a rough prototype clamp.

Well the bar and angle stock barrel at my father's doesn't have anything that will work for me.
I'll have to hit a Lowe's to get some tomorrow.

Well the simple clamp idea is not going to work.
Nor with the first sketch I drew.
Now working on third design.

Gorilla glue!!!!! :p That'll git-r-dun!

actually that may get used in setting up the mold for casting a plastic bracket to hold it down.

Does anyone have any bad coils for either engine laying about?
I don't want to buy a couple of brand new oem type cops to cut them to pieces if I can get a couple of dead ones.

PM if you do. I pay for shipping.

I may have one here in the next few weeks, can't tell yet. It started feeling a little lopey at idle so I seafoamed the crap out of the intake and it went away. But it has done that before when a col was about to go bad. Plus I'm goin on about 4 months since the last replacement, which is a record so far. :p

Check into Duramix 4747 epoxy. It will be great for this application. Find it at a auto paint supply store. It's the best epoxy I have ever used!

Great I have another bad v6 coil on its way to me.
Now I just need a v8 one.

Anybody got one? that they could ship to me.
I'll pay shipping!!

i threw one out not so long ago. i would've gladly sent it to you. sry man, i'm all for the cause

Members online

Back