Lincoln LS Limited Slip Differential bolt-in...

I have not had problems with traction with the open differential at autocross with my summer 245-40-18 tires (general UHP, falken azenis, Michelin Pilot Sport 2).
So with a clutch LSD, not TORSEN, I won't LOSE traction at autocross, am I?

I'm just worried since you guys are saying that TORSEN is better for autocross.

No you will be able to power through the turns MUCH better with a LSD. The Torsen is better because it uses small gears in the diff housing instead of the clutches used by a Trak-Loc.

With the LS's measly 252 or 280 NA HP you will not have issues as Trak-Locs will hold way more power than that on Modified Mustangs.

The Trak-Loc will only need clutches replaced depending on how crazy you drive it. But in the LS's case, you may have to replace the clutches in 75-100K miles.

I have not had problems with traction with the open differential at autocross with my summer 245-40-18 tires (general UHP, falken azenis, Michelin Pilot Sport 2).
So with a clutch LSD, not TORSEN, I won't LOSE traction at autocross, am I?

I'm just worried since you guys are saying that TORSEN is better for autocross.

Do not be too worried. With the way the Torsen unit operates it is just more favorable to autocrossing than the Auburn. I am still sure the Auburn or other type LSD can be used with great success while autocrossing as well they just aren't as favorable to it.

I already mentioned that and nobody seems to have noticed. Oh but you better believe we can get a sticky about everyones first car!! (how exactly does that help new members to this forum?) :shifty:

So sorry if Im repeating some things, but when installing no bearings need to be pressed off? Someone said it was a 2 hours job so I assuming no pressing bearings on and off...

Not inside the diff no. And I think you'd be lucky to get it done in 2 hours.

attachment.jpg

cool..... looks like my Torsen is going in this weekend....

camthman, did you get a 00-02 diff for your LS? The 8.8 Torsen will more than likely not fit in the 03-06 LS rear end. I got a rear end out of a 02 T-Bird with the 3.58 gearing and had a Trak Loc installed in it. Now I just have to get the time to put the whole carrier into my car. Maybe this weekend.

camthman, did you get a 00-02 diff for your LS? The 8.8 Torsen will more than likely not fit in the 03-06 LS rear end. I got a rear end out of a 02 T-Bird with the 3.58 gearing and had a Trak Loc installed in it. Now I just have to get the time to put the whole carrier into my car. Maybe this weekend.

uh oh.... thats no good. So traclok will work but torsen wont? I guess Im confused. I thought you said you got it to fit in your Gen2

uh oh.... thats no good. So traclok will work but torsen wont? I guess Im confused. I thought you said you got it to fit in your Gen2

neither that we know of yet, the gen2 diff is different. Check out my post #67. I have a complete GEN1 diff and axles that Im installing in my GEN2 car to make this work.

There was some confusion at the shop that 02V8Sport had his differential installed at due to some incorrect parts. He seems to have it all ironed out but the official swap into a Gen2 differential carrier has not happened yet.

The Gen1 and Gen2 carrier are different externally and may or may not be different internally too. The only way to see for sure is to crack one open and take some measurements. If I had a stock Gen2 diff to tear down I could take some measurements to confirm what process will be the simplest way to get a LSD into a Gen2. As for now I do not plan to crack TurboLS's diff open for another month or so.

Not inside the diff no. And I think you'd be lucky to get it done in 2 hours.

You guys are missing up a full 8.8 center section conversion like I did and just using a 8.8 LSD device with the stock LS diff and gears. I have a complete 8.8 unit in my car... I have endless options for traction devices and gearing. If you stay with the stock LS unit you are limited to the stock LS gearing. If you just want a LSD this is the way. Although much easier, limited in gear ratios. Also Gen1 diffs appear to have capatible guts to the 8.8...Gen2s are different and and till someone successfully crosses that bridge its a guess that it'll work. I'm going to guess a Gen2 will need to convert to a Gen1 diff with Gen1 axles.

There was some confusion at the shop that 02V8Sport had his differential installed at due to some incorrect parts. He seems to have it all ironed out but the official swap into a Gen2 differential carrier has not happened yet.

The Gen1 and Gen2 carrier are different externally and may or may not be different internally too. The only way to see for sure is to crack one open and take some measurements. If I had a stock Gen2 diff to tear down I could take some measurements to confirm what process will be the simplest way to get a LSD into a Gen2. As for now I do not plan to crack TurboLS's diff open for another month or so.

Yes this is getting missed up and confussed in general it seems:confused:

Yes this is getting missed up and confussed in general it seems:confused:

Hehe. I suppose that is why people have to pay close attention to what is said in tech threads like these so that they do not overlook pertinent information. :cool:

Jason, have no fear. I don't think there is going to be anyone who is planning the full 8.8" swap w/ 4.10's like we did for your LS anytime soon. I believe your N/A ET's will stand for a while to come.

Only reason I am putting the LSD in my car is for better traction, not much for speed.

I was coming home 2 weeks ago. Roads were clear, no ice just some salt dusting. I went to pass up a guy doing 40 in a 55 and I put my car into 3rd(SST) and just hammered down to get around him.

As I did this my back end swung out, put my car sideways and I was about 1 foot away from going through this guys side passanger door. Luckily The car had enough momentum to drift past this guy and miss him completely and finally straighten out. This made me realize how much safer this car could be with a LSD and better rear traction.

For the few hundred $$$ of investment its well worth it to me. Thank God this didnt happen to me when I had both of my kids in the car.

You guys are missing up a full 8.8 center section conversion like I did and just using a 8.8 LSD device with the stock LS diff and gears. I have a complete 8.8 unit in my car... I have endless options for traction devices and gearing. If you stay with the stock LS unit you are limited to the stock LS gearing. If you just want a LSD this is the way. Although much easier, limited in gear ratios. Also Gen1 diffs appear to have capatible guts to the 8.8...Gen2s are different and and till someone successfully crosses that bridge its a guess that it'll work. I'm going to guess a Gen2 will need to convert to a Gen1 diff with Gen1 axles.

I was simply using your photo to show what is in the way of first getting the rear end off of the car. Since it looks like it would be a PITA to do the swap with it still on the car.

I was simply using your photo to show what is in the way of first getting the rear end off of the car. Since it looks like it would be a PITA to do the swap with it still on the car.

I wouldn't even try to install the LSD in the car, but it does come out fairly easy.

Pulling the differential carrier is pretty easy and quick. Much quicker now that I had a chance to mess with Jason's car for a minute during the 8.8" swap.

Just drop the back half of the exhaust, yank one side of the rear out, drop the carrier out, swap what you need to swap, and reverse the process.

When installing the Gen1 into a Gen2, I understand the need for the axels, but will you need a different driveshaft, or are those the same gen1 to gen2?
Thats my last question.
Maybe...

Pulling the differential carrier is pretty easy and quick. Much quicker now that I had a chance to mess with Jason's car for a minute during the 8.8" swap.

Just drop the back half of the exhaust, yank one side of the rear out, drop the carrier out, swap what you need to swap, and reverse the process.

Don't you have to remove some circlips or snap rings from the axles to pull them out of the diff?

How do you retain the inner axles in the t-lock (since I understood that there were no c-washers on the LS half shafts)?

LOL. Told you they looked the same.:p Obviously without measuring accurately nothing is for sure.

Shame the 8.0 gears don't seem to come any larger than 3.58.

Guess I'll be the only 4.10 LS.

not for long!

ILLS you're the man bro! Might make this swap as a temp fix till I get my drive shaft back.

Is it a good idea to buy a used 8.8 LSD on eBay?

They are starting at $50.

What should I look for on a used unit to get a decent one?

Members online

No members online now.
Back