Why does the LS suck in the snow???

tets

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I love my car but man is it ever a piece of crap in the snow.
We had about 3 inches of snow last night and it took me an hour to get it out of my girlfriends driveway(about 200 ft long), then I got stuck on main street at a stop light and had to get someone to help push me, then this morning I plowed the driveway so there was only about a half inch of snow and I got stuck in my damn driveway. Had to get my friend to come over and push me out.
I know the car is a V8 and its rear wheel drive but holy :q:q:q:q I might as well walk when there is snow on the ground.
Why is this car so bad in the white powder???

I have Bridgestone WS-50 studless snows on my LS and I have had no problem with the snow this year.

Oh and I live on the side of a mountain, just turn off the traction control and go.

rear wheel drive

<BS> ,
all my vehicles have rear wheel drive, but only the LS sucks in snow and sleet.

IMO, the reason is simple, and an open differential, coupled with the compensating Traction control/stability control.

that is part of why I can't wait to get a torsen into the LS's diff.

Tires, plain and simple.

Even my Jeep sucks unless I put it in 4wd in the snow and rain because my tires have absolutely no siping.

Go get some crappy rims and throw some winter tires on it.

And why would you turn off Traction Control? I'm pretty sure Traction Control gives you traction. Traction control helps out in the fact that the diff is open. But if you think it doesn't then get a locker.

yo man i was going up hill and the advance trac was letting me drive only like 5 mph holy crap was this embarrassing when you got hoopties flying right by sliding there way up

I had to park my car overnight yesterday cause it was so bad. We got 8-10 inches here I had to get out on the highway and let my bro drive while I pushed the thing up the hills on the highway. I admit the tires I had on it werent the right ones.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. That's at least 1 benefit to being in Alabama:D

Lots of people have told me that LS's suck in the snow. This was a very snowy winter in Chicago. Our '03 was great, but it has brand new Michellins. At times it does take a little to get rolling, but it stays straight and moves fine once rolling.

I have all seasons on my car and I really don't think it sucks at all. It's definately a lot better than the rest of my friends cars, even the FWD ones. If you need better traction get a set of Blizzaks or other snow tires like NYC said and put a couple of bags of QuikCrete in the trunk.

I had the same problem. About 250 lbs of crap thrown in the trunk and all was well... enough. Turning off the traction control / advancetrac does help, but if you cant drive sideways don't even try to go anywhere.
yo man i was going up hill and the advance trac was letting me drive only like 5 mph
Thats exactly what happened to me, but I was goin maybe 2 mph, and there was a line of cars behind me stretched back a quarter mile. (2 lane road) I had to turn arond and go back down what would be considered the worst excuse for a hill you can find.
I ordered snow tires for mine... and it hasn't snowed here since. :(

Maybe they'll come in handy next year. If I even still have the car by then.

i dont have any more problems with it than i've had in any RWD vehicle. no TCS when starting then turn it on at cruising speeds. I'm running sub-par all season tires and i haven't gotten stuck once. i live in syracuse, one of the few towns that can give canadian snow a run.. ;)

Mine works just fine around here in the snow. It's a good balance I should say. I get excellent traction but then when I go to the parking lots to do donuts, all I have to do is take TC off. So far no problems, knock on wood.

T/C off... Gear set to 1... Pedal to the medal.. Wait 10 seconds... T/C on... Drive as normal.

BTW... I LOVE DRIVING SIDEWAYS... I have to do it every snowfall.. It's like smoking.. Always say I won't do it... But give me a MO and my instincts take over..

BTW... I LOVE DRIVING SIDEWAYS... I have to do it every snowfall.. It's like smoking.. Always say I won't do it... But give me a MO and my instincts take over..

I know. I always make it a pint to leave at least a few circles in the parking lot of the local High school whenever it snows. :D

for 425 bucks Ill get some decent snow tires... lol

Plus the cost of wheels, balance and mounting or cost of balance and mounting twice on stock wheels with noisy, short tire life on dry payment.

Spike-Spiders go on and off in seconds when needed with the all session tires the rest of the time.

Works for me; with the 4” to 6” snows that are here today and gone tomorrow we get.

Blizzaks depending on which model can get 30-40k before needing replacing... Not sure how much driving you do in the winter, but for me that's about 5 winters....

I have LM-22's; night and day difference!!! But it helps A LOT to toss about 200lbs of stuff in the trunk (softener salt for me...)

Members online

Back