Why Am I Seeing Lincoln Losing Races

Umm...the sticky thread at the top of the forum with the word "turbo" in it, started by ILLS might give you a hint.
My apologies. I thought QuickLS's Supercharged LS was the only LS with that kind of major modification. I'm just starting to read this forum again and must have missed the sticky at the top. And, I assumed it was just another poster "thinking" they were running a 12 second without ever taking it the track. :) My comment about it taking less HP to knock 0.5 seconds off a 15.5 car vs. a 11.5 car being apples to oranges still stands though. :D

Umm...the sticky thread at the top of the forum with the word "turbo" in it, started by ILLS might give you a hint.

^^^^ served.
on a quick note to the hp vs. 1/4 time...
50 hp in a dodge ram is gonna knock off much less time than 50 hp in a geo. weight, gears, and where the hp is located (high RPM vs low RPM) also will change how much your hp will affect your quarter run. a direct HP gain to 1/4 time is impossible. however in this forum alone the LS has had hundreds of runs on the strip on to show what the common CAI/Exhaust/Tune hp gain can do on the strip.

You would not have touched a new mustang GT... doesn't matter what LS you're driving. You're looking at a 400-500lb weight difference and 300 factory HP... and a nice chunk of torque more. I'm betting the guy you went against was just toying with you. Or maybe he didn't know you were racing...

2006 LS V8:
Curb Weight: 3772
Horsepower: 280 @ 6000 RPM
Torque (lb-ft): 286 @ 4000 RPM

2006 Mustang GT Premium Coupe V8:
Curb Weight: 3356 lbs
Horsepower: 300 @ 5750 RPM
Torque (lb-ft): 320 @ 4500 RPM

The mustang would blow the doors off the 06 LS... a gen I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

I wouldnt be so sure man... Those stangs are only good for Take-off. My friend has a Jaguar S-type 4.0...the sister of the LS and it outpulled the new Mustang GT on the highway.

My Lincoln was timed at a 0-60 of 6.49 (stop watch twice) and it would beat the S-type just barely. Of course my car was not stock in any way.

Infact, my 2000 Lexus LS400 (slightly modified) Held on to that new Shelby GT. My Lexus does 60 in about 5.8 seconds.

Infact, my 2000 Lexus LS400 (slightly modified) Held on to that new Shelby GT. My Lexus does 60 in about 5.8 seconds.

the new shelby GT is nothing special... it's just a mustang GT with a CAI, tune, exhaust, 3.55 final drive, a short throw and a drop

then they slapped shelby's name on it and watched the price soar 15K+ over the regular mustang GT

might as well get the new bullitt if you want to throw your money away on a name

This statement is as far off as the one you're responding to, as it's not as black and white as you attempt to make it. :p

Actually it is dead accurate assuming the vehicles are the same. I do this stuff for a living so I might just know what I am talking about. ;) I did simplify what I said because on the occasion's I do break out my uber-tech jargon I usually lose my message in the translation to people with less knowledge. Talking above other's heads does no one justice.

I can tell you from personal experience it takes one hell of allot more horsepower to drop any appreciable ET in an 11 second vehicle compared to when that vehicle was doing 15 seconds. That "power gained to ET dropped ratio" is not a constant. It changes with vehicle weight as well as how quick the vehicle is.

I wouldnt be so sure man... Those stangs are only good for Take-off. My friend has a Jaguar S-type 4.0...the sister of the LS and it outpulled the new Mustang GT on the highway.

My Lincoln was timed at a 0-60 of 6.49 (stop watch twice) and it would beat the S-type just barely. Of course my car was not stock in any way.

I'd be pretty sure... there were a couple video's posted of an 06 LS going against an 04 GT (GT won). The 05-up mustangs got a 40HP boost along with some extra torque. To say a Mustang is only good for take-off, I believe is a serious misjudgement. If you're running a manual GT and you're well aware of your powerband... you can make it run pretty well.

A Gen II LS could, I believe take down an SN95 4.6L automatic pretty easily, and beat the manual as well, although if the driver is good, it would be a closer margin. But stock to stock, it's just asking a bit much for a Gen II to outrun an SN95 Gen II (new edge) or new GT.

And it isn't even fair to start talking "slightly modified"... as far as bolt on "slight" mods, the Mustangs beat anything else we've discussed here, hands down.

Actually it is dead accurate assuming the vehicles are the same.
My apologies for not understanding you were talking about the same vehicle. The statement was rather generalized, and I figured you were talking about any 11.5 second car vs. any other 15.5 second car, because then it would not be accurate. I also thought you were talking about different vehicles because this thread is about the LS vs. other vehicles. :)

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but i just raced a convertible, auto, 350z yesterday from a dig and off the line i pulled 1 1/2 cars then stayed there to about 60, then started to creap to about a 2 car lead and stayed that way till about 100. I wish i had a video camera to prove it but i didnt. My car is a first gen w/custom exhaust, but heavy ass 20s and a big steaker box.

My apologies for not understanding you were talking about the same vehicle. The statement was rather generalized, and I figured you were talking about any 11.5 second car vs. any other 15.5 second car, because then it would not be accurate. I also thought you were talking about different vehicles because this thread is about the LS vs. other vehicles. :)

If you look at the wording of my original post you will see I was just talking about one vehicle. Look especially at the last sentence of that paragraph there and you will see what I meant. It seems though you understand my point now and are in agreement so no worries.

could a v6 04 ls beat a 98 towncar? or a 05 v6 mustang? or a 04 hyundai sonata??

98 towncar is a beast... as in heavy. It's possible
05 V6 stang is a pretty close race; I think they're running in the ball park of 230HP (I'm not sure though, and I'm not looking it up)
no idea about the hyundai... I don't give those cars much attention.

98 towncar is a beast... as in heavy. It's possible
05 V6 stang is a pretty close race; I think they're running in the ball park of 230HP (I'm not sure though, and I'm not looking it up)
no idea about the hyundai... I don't give those cars much attention.

The S197 V6 Mustang has a SOHC 4.0 V6. Pretty sure it puts out 210hp in stock form.

oh... less than I thought... I'd heard they'd made big improvements to the V6 version. I guess when you look at it, it is on par with the 5.0. But looking at other V6's, with 4.0L of displacement... there is serious room for improvement in efficiency.

Seems like the 04 V6 LS would handle the S197 V6 without too much trouble.

on the mustang forum I moderate I have been very suprised with the gains from the 4.0L V6 as opposed to the 3.8L essex POS that used to be in them

they are low-mid 15 second cars in stock form with a good driver... CAI+tune= breaking 14's

I would say they are just as well off as a gen 1 V8 LS with just as much response to mods

there is a good friend of mine who has an automatic 4.0L V6 vert (slowest model available lol) and he swapped up to 3.73's with a TLOK, lower control arms and a CAI + tune... with those basic mods he mustered a 14.6

just some information

that is good, but you've got V6's a bit smaller throwing down much better numbers these days (MKZ). Understandable that you've got to have a very basic engine so you'll have a solid base of sales, BUT... When is ford going to stop screwing around and actually put a little bit of technology into the Mustang? 2011???

If that new camaro comes to market, the mustang will be looking at a size-able power difference and an inferior solid axle suspension. Of course, I do love the mustang... and that's all just my opinion.

well do keep in mind that the mustang lineup has always been about sales... that's why it never dies, I highly doubt they will ever put too much thought into the base sixxer due to the fact they want to keep the market running

cheap parts = affordable car = what a V6 stang is designed for

someone that wants that mustang look but is not too worried about going fast or is on a budget, and then you can mod it

the GT is a step up for that little extra

then SVT, shelby, saleen and roush have things covered all the way to $100,000+ (saleen extreme)

although people mod them, the V6 stang is only there so people working at mc donalds can still supply ford with their hard earned money, so I doubt it will even come out with any technological breakthroughs or highly advance engine/components

Round these parts, those V6 'stangs are popular with women. I guess they like the 'show' and aren't too bothered about the 'go' I have only seen one woman driving a V8 'stang - a Cobra no less!

Would be funny if they start using those EcoBoost engines in the V6 stangs and they end up having 40 more HP than the GTs.

I bet when the total revamp comes out for the mustang you'll see an ecoboost V8 with HUGE power.

Do they even have a V8 planned? I thought the point of ecoboost was the power of a V8 but the economy of a V6.

I heard rumors there is a V8 planned.

With direct injection, it will still be more efficient than anything with port injection.

Wouldn't be surprised if you don't see one in the F-series (actually, I think the rumors are the V8 version will debut in the F-series)... Granted, we're not talking next year...

Members online

No members online now.
Back