Washed my car, still not satisfied.

AndrewCoja

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't wash my car as often as I should. Mostly because after I am finished, I am just disappointed the next day. I think it's mostly the crappy water I have here. I always end up with water spots. I can wet it back down and dry with a chamois, but there are always waterspots when I am done. Plus there are little fibers that came off the chamois stuck all over the car.

I also don't like washing my car because I end up having to get close and personal with all the chips and scratches in the paint. I need to figure out how to get those fixed as well.

I think the only way I am ever going to get a decent car wash is to change the materials I am using. Right now I am using a sponge, dish soap, horrible water, and a crappy chamois.

Does anyone know of any kind of hose attachment that has a filter? And what kind of things do you use for washing your car? I feel like putting together a car washing kit to keep in my trunk so other people don't ruin it and so I have everything I need.

Next time I wash my car, I'm going to claybar and wax it, and probably try out that invisible glass stuff. I'd like to be able to wash my car at least once and really be proud of my clean car.

[edit] I added some pictures I took back around when I first got it in 06.

lsfront.JPG

lsleft.JPG

It is black. I'd post pictures, but it looks the same as any other Black 04 LS8 with the chrome 17" Lincoln rims.

is dish detergent good to use on a car? id try some car soap and see how it looks after that.

It's just soap. All it does is break up water tension and break up dirt. But there might be something else that helps with the kind of dirt you pick up with a car.

I have read that dish soap is too harsh and bad for your finish. Or maybe that's just what the car wash soaps want you to believe ;) Car soap is not that expensive anyway.

its the dish soap I think I used it on my car one time spots alllll over the car

i bought the Mr. Clean Auto Dry Kit.. it work pretty good actually, it filters the water you use and then sprays the wash solution.. after that switch it to dry mode and it mists your car with little pebbles that roll the water off your car... auto zone has them pretty cheap... pick up an extra filter though, they;re only good for 4 or 5 washes

DISH SOAP!?!?!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats a huge part of your problem. That will strip any type of wax or protectant you may have had on there.

Stop using it to wash your car! Its for, um...dishes!

I only use it when im going all out and am going clay bar the car and give it real good detail.

Get yourself some "CAR" wash soap.....

RAIN X has a new car wash, havent tried it yet, but my neighbor swore on his mothers life by it. I am trying it this weekend. problem is caused by hard water. you could always spend about 5 grand and get a water softening system for your house.

DISH SOAP!?!?!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats a huge part of your problem. That will strip any type of wax or protectant you may have had on there.

Stop using it to wash your car! Its for, um...dishes!

I only use it when im going all out and am going clay bar the car and give it real good detail.

Get yourself some "CAR" wash soap.....

Said it all ..

I actually washed my car, waxed it and applied that "Ice" polish on it, came out looking like a mirror. But in the spring, the car is getting a professional buff and wax.

Autogeek has all the stuff you need! Thats where I get ALL my stuff from. That Mr.Clean stuff is crap. Just take a look at Autogeeks stuff and give them a call.

Autogeek has all the stuff you need! Thats where I get ALL my stuff from. That Mr.Clean stuff is crap. Just take a look at Autogeeks stuff and give them a call.

sweet bro.. way to keep the forum positive... i give a suggestion and your just a :q about it..

i guess if you feel like spending 80 bucks. to get something thats probly worthless you can buy from auto geek..

i would once again suggest the Mr. Clean Kit...

Ya man.... I own a detailing company and work with people who use dish soap all the time.

If anyone wants some products you can buy them from my company. I gaurantee you will be happy if you follow my steps.

If anyone wants some stuff let me know.

First off! I'm not your "BRO". Second I was just making a suggestion also. If you dont like what some post dont read it.

i only use dish soap on a vehicle when i am about to apply a fresh coat of wax, but dont ever use it in between waxes, its strips wax right off the paint, thats why they make car soap, its specially for cars, even waxed cars lol, dish soap is for dishes. you wouldnt brush your teeth with neosporin would you, just because its in a squeeze tube doesnt mean it will work. use car soap!!

i only use dish soap on a vehicle when i am about to apply a fresh coat of wax, but dont ever use it in between waxes, its strips wax right off the paint, thats why they make car soap, its specially for cars, even waxed cars lol, dish soap is for dishes. you wouldnt brush your teeth with neosporin would you, just because its in a squeeze tube doesnt mean it will work. use car soap!!

Still debatable....

Here are a couple of quick thoughts on your equipment...

1. Don't use dish soap. As someone already posted, dish soap is for dishes, not automotive finishes. Also, make sure you're using the right amount of soap -- many people use too much without realizing it. If you use too much soap in the water, you risk not rinsing it all off, which can lead to white soap residue left on the paint (which may be part of your problem). Half a shot glass full in 2-3 gallons of water is plenty. For a bucket, I use a 5 gallon paint bucket I got at Home Depot (with a lid) for around $5. I've marked the outside with 1 gallon increments so I know how much water is in the bucket, and I can get the proportion of soap correct.

2. If you have hard water, there's not a lot you can do about it. Hard water is the result of high mineral content. When hard water dries on your finish, the metals concentrate and leave the spots you see. You can get a filter to remove the metal ions, but you might want to try a car wash soap that contains a metal chelator first to bind up some of the metal ions (advertised as Hard Water Spot Reducers). I've been using Meguiar's NXT car wash for a couple of seasons on my LS, and I like the way it performs -- it rinses really well. If you use the right amount of this soap, you will get very few spots, even with hard water.

3. Don't use a sponge. Sponges tend to accumulate dirt and grit, and spread them over the car, possibly leaving scratches. Instead, use a wash mitt or, better, a wash brush. I prefer a wash brush with frayed bristle tips. Its very soft and the bristles get into body seams and crevices better than a mitt.

http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=17621

4. On the fiber problem, I would exchange your chamois for a good microfiber drying towel. You can get decent ones at Walmart, but professional ones are better. Microfiber is basically plastic, so treat it like that -- don't wash it in hot water (melts the fibers, duh!). Don't use fabric softener in the washer. Don't dry the MF towel in a dryer set on High (again, this melts the fibers). I wash mine on warm wash, cold rinse, and dry on low heat or air fluff.

5. The other reality is that your car is black. Black finishes show imperfections more than light colored finishes. It will take more work to keep it looking good.

A good wash and detail can be very satisfying if you do it correctly. Don't give up!!

+1
i bought the Mr. Clean Auto Dry Kit.. it work pretty good actually, it filters the water you use and then sprays the wash solution.. after that switch it to dry mode and it mists your car with little pebbles that roll the water off your car... auto zone has them pretty cheap... pick up an extra filter though, they;re only good for 4 or 5 washes

Thanks guys. Whenever I get some spare cash (not likely) I'm going to check out this Meguiars stuff. I picked out a shopping cart's worth. Hopefully I'll have about 50 bucks free by the end of the month.

It's just soap. All it does is break up water tension and break up dirt. But there might be something else that helps with the kind of dirt you pick up with a car.

:slam :bash:

As others have said before me, dish soap is a big no no. Get some real car wash soap.
Don't use rags or sponges to wash it, use a mitt that is made for washing the car. Do NOT use a brush! They're just as bad as sponges or rags, and the bristles will scratch the paint. I would know, I used to use them, and I've learned the hard way.

There are additives that can neutralize hard water to minimize water spots, another good option is that Mr Clean spot free deal. I don't remember what it's called exactly but it does work. The water goes through a filter (think Brita) before it gets sprayed on the car, and it also comes with an agent that helps dry the water faster.

If you have water spots that have etched the clear coat, chances are they will need to be compounded and buffed out. You can try a cleaner wax like Meguiars Quick Detailer to get some of those out. Apply it with a regular orbital buffer and buff until its dry.

If your shammy is leaving fibers on the car its time to replace it. It should be kept clean and moist at all times. When you let it dry out the fibers get brittle and can break, and guess where they end up? Stuck all over your car the next time you wash it.

I've use the Mr. Clean stuff, not impressed at all. You can't beat hand drying a car, and if you have hard water you need a water softener or an in line hose filter.

Members online

No members online now.
Back